NASCAR 2010

Walter

First of all, JPM would have caught Kurt Busch but passing him would have been a different story with just a couple of laps to go. But, we will never know now - will we?

As far as Carl Edwards goes, he should be sat down for a race. To wreck someone going 190 miles an hour in front of 80,000 - puts every one's safety at serious risk. I really think ole Carl needs to be tested for steroids - he seems like he has roid rage at times. Look at his history - almost takes Junior's arm off, by running his car into him post-race at Michigan (Busch race). Throws a mock punch at his teammate (Kenseth) post race at Martinsville while Kenseth is being interviewed. He tried to push Harvick around in the garage at Charlotte last fall. The list keeps going. "Cousin" Carl is what Smoke says - the Eddie Haskell of NASCAR.

It's getting to the point where I will not attend a race and sit that close to the track anymore - due to airborne cars. They must set a precedent. I know NASCAR was loosening the grip they have on the drivers, but this type of behavior cannot be tolerated at all. Save retaliation for Bristol or Martinsville - not the fastest track on the circuit.

I am looking forward to checking out some of the F1 racing this weekend. I would love to see Michael win on his return to the sport.

Yep, I sure did! Can't wait for another chance to do it again!

Well, we all missed our marks, darn it - Kurt Busch won. Yaaay. Man, what a race, though! I loved the Edwards-Keselowski incident - that little so-and-so has just been ASKING for it for I don't know how long. Sure he didn't mean to hit Carl today, but the guy's a menace even when he isn't trying to wreck someone! I would've rather not seen Brad go flying through the air, and I'm sure Carl feels the same way, but since he's okay and everything, I have to say I think he pretty much got his just deserts. Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not Carl, though - he's going to have to get a restraining order on Jack Roush, muahaha. Well, NASCAR wanted to take the restraints off the drivers so things would be more exciting - I guess it worked!

HA! That's excatly what I was telling my NASCAR buddy after he complained about that. :P

I really thought Montoya had a chance. Ah well, it's just begun.....

http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/03/09/cedwards.probation.bkeselowski/index.html

What a joke! I know they want to drivers to police themselves, but who is looking out for the fans in the stands on the issue? Probation for three races? Whatever..... Even Carl isn't stupid enough to do anything to Brad over the next 3 races.

Don't confuse this with me liking #12, I am glad the other drivers are using "behavior modification" techniques with him - just not putting fan's lives at stake while doing it.

Hotplant, I also thought Montoya had a chance and if he had gotten to Kurt's bumper you'd seen some fireworks then. Those two probably would have wrecked each other since they were running about the same line. That would have been a great rivalry in the making! Neither one would back down from the other. Oh well. Week off to get ready for March Madness and take in a Spring Training game - and see the F1 season begin somewhere on the opposite side of the globe! B)

• 3 weeks later...

So here we go with the return of the spoiler, in place of the wing. The drivers are saying there is not much of a difference in the way the car drives, but it is faster through the turns. I don't know how this is going to make for better racing, but the "fans" wanted Cup cars to have that look again. Whatever.... as long as the racing improves and doesn't suffer for cosmetic reasons.

Speaking of racing suffering, what does everyone think about the racing at Bristol? When they first re-configured the track, I liked how racy it was. But now, it seems like all of the allure of rooting and gouging is not there anymore and the racing is not what it was!

Looking forward to Martinsville this weekend - even though JJ has won 5 of the last 7. I will reluctantly pick him for this weekend, although the way Kurt Busch has been going lately, he might be a smart pick as well.

What happened to our F1 report?

Peace out everyone! :D

Well at least Johnson didn't win this one. I fell asleep for the last one with 20 laps to go.

Dang! Gordon ALMOST had it. :o

How 'bout Lagano?

The first part when Harvick was doing so great was awesome, and the last 10 laps.

I had to turn it as soon as Hamlin got over that line. :angry:

:P

• 4 weeks later...

They replace the rear wing with a spoiler and what happens?

The same thing. Cars can't separate more than a few inches and we get all of these caution periods, especially at the end of the race. I loathe the green/white finish and wish they would get rid of it. Didn't Biff run out of gas because the last ten laps turned into thirty?

They replace the rear wing with a spoiler and what happens?

The same thing. Cars can't separate more than a few inches and we get all of these caution periods, especially at the end of the race. I loathe the green/white finish and wish they would get rid of it. Didn't Biff run out of gas because the last ten laps turned into thirty?

Yeah, the more I see it, the less I like the three green-white-checkereds deal. I thought it might be a good thing because it would stop the confusion of whether to slow down for a caution even though you're on the last lap and need to go for it, but frankly, I think that would cause way fewer wrecks than everybody trying to get through three restarts in a row right at the end. I say nix it.

I can't comment on most of the race because I was busy watching the Red Wings lose, but I did tune in at the end after the game went from bad to depressing. Good to see Harvick win for a change... I REALLY wish he wasn't going to Penske next year. I thought maybe Jr. would do it this time, but he just wasn't in the right spot during that last restart.

Talladega is a different dog.I usually go to the Sat gig to avoid the masses on Sun. Weather was a bitch. Cancelled. First race I didn't snooze through in awhile. That bump drafting today was some ballsy shit. Speeds are up a bit. The green, white, finish is cool in my book. Team stategy with fuel and pitting adds to the intrigue. Greed and impatience take over. Superspeedway racing is heavy shit. Fuck, I love it. I apologize for my profanities.

All I know is...... way to go HARVICK!!! I've been waiting for a Cup points win from him for how many years?! Great job Kev., that move was done to perfection.

Footsteps, Kevin is not going to Penske next year - his sponsor (Shell/Penzoil) is going to be Kurt Busch's in a #22 car. Actually Harvick poked some fun at Shell after the race saying, "The best part of this win is that our sponsor is leaving while we are winning." True Kevin fashion to stick a fork into them.

Anyway, I do like the green/white/checkered finish (even with 3 of them) because it adds another element to the strategy of the race. I know it's there just to appease the fans attending the race and paying mucho $ for their seats. But, I have been to many races where the cars just crawl around the track for the last 5 laps to finish under caution and that sucks!

Racing purists don't like anything NASCAR does to make it more exciting, but if they want to compete with the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. then they have to keep things at a higher interest level.

Onward to Richmond..... :thumbsup:

All I know is...... way to go HARVICK!!! I've been waiting for a Cup points win from him for how many years?! Great job Kev., that move was done to perfection.

Footsteps, Kevin is not going to Penske next year - his sponsor (Shell/Penzoil) is going to be Kurt Busch's in a #22 car. Actually Harvick poked some fun at Shell after the race saying, "The best part of this win is that our sponsor is leaving while we are winning." True Kevin fashion to stick a fork into them.

Anyway, I do like the green/white/checkered finish (even with 3 of them) because it adds another element to the strategy of the race. I know it's there just to appease the fans attending the race and paying mucho $ for their seats. But, I have been to many races where the cars just crawl around the track for the last 5 laps to finish under caution and that sucks!

Racing purists don't like anything NASCAR does to make it more exciting, but if they want to compete with the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. then they have to keep things at a higher interest level.

Onward to Richmond..... :thumbsup:

Hard to believe it's been 3 years since Harvick won the Daytona 500 which was his last points paying win.

Sorry Walter, but i gotta disagree with you. If you have to set up exciting finishes to keep fans interested, then they're really not true race fans. Used to be that only two or three cars would finish on the same lap at the current plate tracks. Fans were just as excited and just as many showed up at the track. The difference was the television coverage wasn't as ominous as it is today. You have to make sure that there are enough caution periods so as to get the advertisers their money's worth. I know, it's reality and what are you gonna do about it. But just the same, I don't like it. :angry:

Hell, even F1 is having the safety car appear more these days. I think I only saw three safety car periods all through the 90's :D

Let's see..... Gordon is 5th all-time in wins? Much like Johnson winning races at the end of a race with getting his car right and also savvy pit strategy - Gordon amassed the same type of success in the late 90's with the same type of blueprint. Not feeling too sorry for a guy who had all of the success Jeff has. The "Racing Gods" have a way of evening things out, in the long run.

On a "happier" note - HARVICK IS LEADING THE POINTS!! I know it's only May, but what a turn around from last year!!! :thumbsup:

Can Jeff ever win for once?

You're kidding, right?

I remember the day when people were bitchin' because he was winning too much.

Gordon's nearly 40 and isn't a young gun anymore. Racing, like other sports, is a young man's game. It doesn't mean he can't win, but doubtful he will return to his form of 10 years ago.

Let's see..... Gordon is 5th all-time in wins? Much like Johnson winning races at the end of a race with getting his car right and also savvy pit strategy - Gordon amassed the same type of success in the late 90's with the same type of blueprint. Not feeling too sorry for a guy who had all of the success Jeff has. The "Racing Gods" have a way of evening things out, in the long run.

On a "happier" note - HARVICK IS LEADING THE POINTS!! I know it's only May, but what a turn around from last year!!! :thumbsup:

The guy i'm waiting for to get a break is Montoya. He always seems to hang around near the front until late in the race, then something goes wrong and he ends up out of the top ten.

Johnson right now is way more successful than Gordon was 10 yrs ago.

If he keeps this up, he'll pass Gordon on the career win list..

Now that will piss me off..

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the news about Vickers being admitted to the hospital for blood clots all over his body, including near his lungs. I hope you get well soon, Brian!

Well, it's time for the Monster Mile at Dover. Jimmie Johnson will pick up another win this week and piss off Lunacy a bit more, I predict. Looking forward to the first induction for the Hall Of Fame next week in Charlotte. Looks like an amazing tribute to NASCAR they have built there. Until next week....have a good and safe weekend! B)

I watched a bit of the F1 yesterday, that is an amazing street course. So tight and the tunnel is very cool. So what happened with Michael passing under caution and then being docked 20 seconds? Has the champ forgotten the rules or was he just being overzealous? Seemed like a lot of wrecks, compared to most F1 races or was it due to the tight course they race on?

This Saturday, the boys are racing for no points and $1,000,000! Should be a great night, especially with so many of the top tier drivers not even qualified for the All-Star race, which will make the qualifying race that much more intense.

Also, Sunday is the big first-time induction into the NASCAR HOF. Should be a great event. I can't wait to visit it this summer and seeing, once again, my all-time racing hero Richie Evans' famed #61 modified.

I watched a bit of the F1 yesterday, that is an amazing street course. So tight and the tunnel is very cool. So what happened with Michael passing under caution and then being docked 20 seconds? Has the champ forgotten the rules or was he just being overzealous? Seemed like a lot of wrecks, compared to most F1 races or was it due to the tight course they race on?

yea, I don't know what Schumi was thinking. Maybe he was trying to get under Alonso's or Ferrari's skin. Don't know why though. He certainly had nothing to gain by doing that. Of course, not the first time Herman the German went all wacko at Monaco. If you recall about 5 years ago, he parked his car at LaRascasse during the last seconds of the final qualifying round denying Alonso a certain pole. Got penalized for that too! :D

And yes, i'm liking this NASCAR HOF thing a whole bunch. It's about time and really they couldn't think of a better inaugural class. I'll for sure be watching the ceremonies next weekend.

• 4 months later...

Well, The Chase has officially begun as of yesterday. Good job Clint Bowyer and too bad for all the guys who took a chance and ran out of gas the last couple of laps. That's a tough call, but to cut it that close is probably not the smartest move this early in the 10 race "playoff" (for lack of better term).

Who is everyone picking? Even with JJ's bad finish yesterday, I still have a hard time thinking he will not win this thing again. I mean this run of tracks, especially in October and November are pretty much his bread and butter tracks. So, we will see.......

How is everyone doing out there? Many different series will be wrapping up shortly - any HUGE surprises this year in your favorite forms of racing??

Peace.

Clint Bowyer - 150 point penalty?

Crew chief and car chief suspended for 6 races?

Wow! Stay tuned though - they are appealing it. RC says that other cars bumped Bowyer post race and the wrecker that pushed the car to victory lane (after they ran out of gas doing burnouts) knocked the rear-end and raised it past the tolerance that NASCAR allows.

We shall see.......

• 1 month later...

Final weekend of the NASCAR season! Incredible points race unfolding between Hamlin, Johnson and Harvick...... you know who I am pulling for! ;)

We are heading down to Homestead Saturday morning to go to the garage and then for Sunday's Cup finale - and to root Harvick onto to the title!!

Can't wait!!!! B)

Archived