zeppelin reality that's a mystery to me

mikeinmobile

in the late 70's (jr. high days) my buddy dave (the cat that changed my life

by turning me onto the LZ2 album) comes over and i whip out my fresh outta

the bag "in through the out door" and as i'm throwin' it on the table (that's a

dinosauric term for record player for you folks brought up in the digital age :) )

and i notice dave sprinkling some water on the album sleeve and of course i

freak and then he proceeds to show me that the black and white drawing on

the sleeve has water color hidden in it. he tells me he found out when one of

his buddies sat a cold drink on his albums sleeve and obviously exposed the water

color. i've got a newer copy and the sleeve has no hidden water color so i'm

assuming that was a first run only thing. the mystery is that in all these years

(decades) i've never met anyone who was aware of this.....even the most

dahli llamic (sp?) album collectors and store owners i've ever known. is this

common knowledge? should i be ashamed of all the collectors i've held in

reverence over the years? just curious!

I still have my original album I bought when it was released back then. I was aware of the water trick back then and had to try it with my copy. I still have the brown sleeve it was packaged in also. Not for sure how good the lp would sound since I played it repeatedly over and over back then too! I don't have a turntable anymore to find out.

I still have my original album I bought when it was released back then. I was aware of the water trick back then and had to try it with my copy. I still have the brown sleeve it was packaged in also. Not for sure how good the lp would sound since I played it repeatedly over and over back then too! I don't have a turntable anymore to find out.

too cool that you still have the brown bag! i own a dance studio so i have several turntables.

i still like to spin the discs from time to time. all my original zep lp's are fried (kinda like their

owner) but i do have an ITTOD (not original) that is in perfect condition and people forget

how well lp's crank on a good home stereo. the bass on "i'm gonna crawl" absolutely

cracks the walls! anyway, thanks for the reply on a topic that always made me appreciate

zep for their album jacket work as much as their music.

hiya mike!

i had owned my 1st and second copy, bought upon release, when i found out from a friend who was a guitar player. (79ish). after that, i became obsessed with the album and all the diffent covers, buying them all eventually. i still have 6 of them unopened. i quit coloring them after the 2nd one, so i don't know how long into the run they continued to do that, but i thought it was cool as a fan.

by the way, welcome and nice to see another zephead from the coast!

beat

Wow, I had forgotten all about that Mike! I still have my original album as well, so I took a look and yep, there it was, pretty pink, blue and green pastel colors from when I carefully applied water on it with a paintbrush way back in the day. That is really such a cool album cover too.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! thumbsupup.gif

hiya mike!

i had owned my 1st and second copy, bought upon release, when i found out from a friend who was a guitar player. (79ish). after that, i became obsessed with the album and all the diffent covers, buying them all eventually. i still have 6 of them unopened. i quit coloring them after the 2nd one, so i don't know how long into the run they continued to do that, but i thought it was cool as a fan.

by the way, welcome and nice to see another zephead from the coast!

beat

the 6 unopened is near "holy grail" like cool! the funny thing about the multiple covers is that over the years as i updated my collection from

lp to cassette to cd to top condition vintage lp i was unaware of the different covers. when i FINALLY realized, it was interesting to not have

noticed.... i feel certain that a change in ANY of the other covers would have been immediately apparent to me. just another trippy zeppelin thing

that makes them the main player in the soundtrack of my my life. by the way, happy to be here and there!

Wow! I'm a bit ashamed to say this, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the color-able inner sleeve of ITTOD. Would anybody happen to have a picture of this? I can't seem to find one online, and my copy of the album was lost in a flood (ironically enough).

Wow! I'm a bit ashamed to say this, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the color-able inner sleeve of ITTOD. Would anybody happen to have a picture of this? I can't seem to find one online, and my copy of the album was lost in a flood (ironically enough).

when i came to this site the 1st time, i clicked on every archive available and didn't see it,

so i felt compelled to throw it out there and see how many people knew. obviously zep

intended it to be discovered (or not) by accident. my theory is that because people

are careless when partying, sooner or later some stoner is gonna spill something on

the sleeve.........or some very sober, very intense collector is gonna drool on it :)

to spend the extra money on this in production, without advertising that it's there

is yet another testament to their coolness.

i have an original " E " album, still in the brown paper bag. i knew about the water thing, but never wanted to do it, as i wanted to leave it original.

i always thought the reason that all the covers have that small "swipe" across ( and coloured under it ) was them giving us a hint about the water trick ......

i have an original " E " album, still in the brown paper bag. i knew about the water thing, but never wanted to do it, as i wanted to leave it original.

i always thought the reason that all the covers have that small "swipe" across ( and coloured under it ) was them giving us a hint about the water trick ......

that's a helluva observation! i'm goin' with it.

Archived