Complete Studio Recordings Box Set or Individual CD's?

Lorn

Not sure if this is the exact right spot for this question but here goes.

I recently have found myself in the position of needing to buy the Zeppelin catalog again. It's a long story and not important. But things have changed somewhat since the last time I did this and I would very much appreciate your advice here. I've been looking over the options here in the U.S. at Amazon, and am not sure exactly what I should do. Money is not much of a concern (within reason). My main concern is that I'm really not happy with cardboard cd cases or whatnot. I like sturdy jewel cases, even if it is not the exact original album art. Yet they must be remastered. However, if there are extra songs or something on the Complete Studio Recordings Box set, then I would go that way vs. buying them individually.

I'm also concerned about there being different era's of remastering. Are some different/better??? If so, why do you think so??

Really appreciate any information I can get here. IT WILL AFFECT WHAT I'M about to do in the next few days or weeks. Please be specific. I'm no Zeppelin newbie, have been a fan for over 20 years. But formats change, things happen, etc.

Thanks VERY much for your help.

Lorn

the japanese vinyl replica cds are recommended sound wise but you've already said you dont prefer the cardboard sleeve type cds. so you have the choice of the box sets or buying the remastered albums individually. i'd go with the latter personally

Not sure if this is the exact right spot for this question but here goes.

I recently have found myself in the position of needing to buy the Zeppelin catalog again. It's a long story and not important. But things have changed somewhat since the last time I did this and I would very much appreciate your advice here. I've been looking over the options here in the U.S. at Amazon, and am not sure exactly what I should do. Money is not much of a concern (within reason). My main concern is that I'm really not happy with cardboard cd cases or whatnot. I like sturdy jewel cases, even if it is not the exact original album art. Yet they must be remastered. However, if there are extra songs or something on the Complete Studio Recordings Box set, then I would go that way vs. buying them individually.

I'm also concerned about there being different era's of remastering. Are some different/better??? If so, why do you think so??

Really appreciate any information I can get here. IT WILL AFFECT WHAT I'M about to do in the next few days or weeks. Please be specific. I'm no Zeppelin newbie, have been a fan for over 20 years. But formats change, things happen, etc.

Thanks VERY much for your help.

Lorn

i recently bought Led Zeppelin III (again) from best buy, it was $30 because it was in a sleeve just like the vinyl. and you could turn the wheel. they also had Physical Graffiti just like that, and i couldnt resist. it had a sticker that said "made in london, digitally remastered". now could anyone point out the sound quality difference between the regular Zep cds and the remastered ones.

Well, after a lot of looking into this, here is what I decided upon and did (in case anyone is interested). I actually went with the purchase of the individual jewel cases of the 1993 Remasters. A big part of this reason is because I really dislike those scratchy cardboard cases. But there were other reasons. I spent a huge time looking around at Amazon and the reviews for the Complete Studio Recordings box set. What I got out of it was that some people complained about disks showing up scratched, about booklets falling apart easy, and, worst of all, the possibility of the discs in the box set being victim to the "Loudness War" (in brief, for those who may not know, the "Loudness War" is a term used to define the masterings of certain cd's that have been cranked up higher than necessary to make them very loud, but in fact they loose some of their dynamic range originally intended by the artist). And one person claimed (though quoted no sources) regarding the Complete Studio Recordings Box Set that "Jimmy said it well, they again are flat sounding." That person went on to rave about the sound of the "Mothership" recordings.

Though I certainly could not prove or substantiate a lot of these claims, what it ultimately boiled down to for me is that I'm content with the 1993 Jewel case Remasters. Page himself was involved with their production and remastering (as noted on the back of these albums) and that's good enough for me. IF, there is any possibility that someone has tinkered with what he did on the releases that followed, I'd rather avoid that. So I now have what I would consider the definitive editions of Led Zeppelin, including all the live Cd's and the unplugged thing from the 90's etc.. Hope this information helps future Zeppelin CD buyers.

Archived