Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

One day during a week-break between the tours Jimmy considerably shortened his the longest ever hair

left: March 12 '70, Rheinhalle, Dusseldorf, Germany - last date of European Tour

right: March 21 '70, Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, Canada - first date of the 5-th North American Tour

x_ada5e86f.jpg

x_7d781fd6.jpg

At a club in Dusseldorf, March (12?), 1970

"we bumped into a fellow who called himself "the Baron"(second from right)[R. Cole collection]

Is there photos of more close date to Page's haircut?

Edited by Ledy Mazeppa

July 12, 1966 I believe this might be his recording session with Jeff Beck

I doubt that very much. You don't record with the drums on a riser like that. That also looks like Keith Relf behind Jimmy with his back turned, so it's probably from a Yardbird's gig.

quite mysterious date of this Party where this series of photos from:

a953c9fd.jpg

Yes, it's 1974,

here Page in his Pink suit / emerald shirt outfit as he was on the first Swan Song party in NY, 7 may 1974 and Maggie Bell on photo (she is mentioned by D.Lewis)

but ... Plant on that Party was in a "leopard" jacket (see photos below), so.... ???

also known (R. Cole, D. Lewis) that Bill Wyman and Maggie Bell were among guests at the second Swan Song Party in LA 10 May 1974, but these pictures are not from there because Page, Plant and Bonzo were dressed in black there

any thoughts?

thanks

LM

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Ledy Mazeppa

^^^Well, maybe there was a third Swan Song launch party? In London perhaps? New Orleans?

Whatever, I'm liking that The Brain Damage Club t-shirt Plant is wearing. Isn't it possible he switched jackets at some point? Maybe Bonzo sprayed him with champagne and he needed to change into some dry clothes.

Edited by Strider

quite mysterious date of this Party where this series of photos from:

a953c9fd.jpg

Yes, it's 1974,

here Page in his Pink suit / emerald shirt outfit as he was on the first Swan Song party in NY, 7 may 1974 and Maggie Bell on photo (she is mentioned by D.Lewis)

but ... Plant on that Party was in a "leopard" jacket (see photos below), so.... ???

also known (R. Cole, D. Lewis) that Bill Wyman and Maggie Bell were among guests at the second Swan Song Party in LA 10 May 1974, but these pictures are not from there because Page, Plant and Bonzo were dressed in black there

any thoughts?

thanks

LM

Bill Wyman's solo album 'Monkey Grip' was released the same day as the LA Swan Song launch. Perhaps this was Wyman's release party? However, Page Plant and Bonham are also known to have partied at The Rainbow following the LA Swan Song launch. The can of Coors suggests it's USA (Los Angeles?).

Will inquire if Bill Wyman's diaries reveal anything concerning this.

post-1879-0-04885900-1328401524.jpgSteve,

Would you have any info on this photo? Thanks

After a bit of research I think I've nailed it down to October 31 1968.

In late October 1968, Peter Grant travels to New York, armed with tapes of the group's album. Meeting with Atlantic Records's Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler. A deal was quickly reached, with a reported $200,000 advance - a monumental sum at the time.

Jeff Beck played a benefit gig for the children in Biafra at the Fillmore East on the 31 October 1968. I believe PG was managing the JBG at the time? Regardless, Jimmy and Jeff were old mates who probably wanted to catch up (I wonder if it was this occasion that Beck first heard LZ1 and their version of 'You Shook Me'??)

And the 'mystery man' in the middle I believe is Steve Weiss, Led Zeppelin's US attorney.

Also if you look at the official timeline, there is a gap inbetween gigs from October 25 to November 9, 1968, hence Jimmy's presence.

Jeff Beck played a benefit gig for the children in Biafra at the Fillmore East on the 31 October 1968. I believe PG was managing the JBG at the time? Regardless, Jimmy and Jeff were old mates who probably wanted to catch up (I wonder if it was this occasion that Beck first heard LZ1 and their version of 'You Shook Me'??)

And the 'mystery man' in the middle I believe is Steve Weiss, Led Zeppelin's US attorney.

Also if you look at the official timeline, there is a gap inbetween gigs from October 25 to November 9, 1968, hence Jimmy's presence.

Wow. Thanks Riot! You've made my day. Is just it me or is this a monumental and historic photo? I mean,JP and PG at the actual signing of the band to Atlantic? This should have been in JP's book for sure. It amazes me what pops up after 40 years...never having seen the light of day prior to this.

• Administrators

Amazing photo, and I concur with your date/info about it.

Its simply stunning given the historic context. I have imagined the early meeting between the Zep and Atlantic camps in my mind's eye countless times. But never dared to imagine that such a moment would have actually been captured and preserved.

What's just as interesting is that such a significant photo would be unknown and unseen ( to my knowledge) until a few days ago.

Had this been available two years ago,I'm certain it would have and should have been included in Jimmy's photo book.

Amazing photo, and I concur with your date/info about it.

Cheers Sam. I think for Peter Grant to be dressed up in a suit, it must have been something kind of important to make the best impression. Maybe Beck's presence held more sway, regarding his current success with the JBG at the time????

• Administrators

Some more info....

The money shot, signing the contract:

1968_ny_2.jpg

Apparently, Peter Grant & Mickie Most were in NY to also take care of some business with their other acts (JBG, Donovan, Terry Reid). There's a reference to a party/gathering at the Waldorf on Oct. 21st, with Grant and Mickie Most (no mention of JP yet). Beck's tour schedule indicates returning to NY, from Toronto on October 28th, remaining there until the 31st, off to Detroit for three shows.

I don't think the exact date of the contract signing is known yet, but that's where these photos seem to originate (late October/early Nov). It's interesting that Beck seems to have been there for it.

:coffee: