Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

9 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

These were published in a UK magazine which I'll have to dig out to narrow down the date, and I think I have seen it said before that these are the first shots of Page with a cigarette. As a by the way, these were the gardens immediately behind the Swan Song Records Office at 484 Kings Road in Chelsea. As I recall this photo shoot was done in conjunction with an interview at the office.

It is definitely the first photos with a cig I can think of, in the public domain anyway.

Didn't know these photos were behind Swan Song.

Again more for my noggin, thanks Saj!

33 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

It is definitely the first photos with a cig I can think of, in the public domain anyway.

Didn't know these photos were behind Swan Song.

Again more for my noggin, thanks Saj!

I've mentioned it a few times, most recently this past June when I returned there to Chelsea.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

These were published in a UK magazine which I'll have to dig out to narrow down the date, and I think I have seen it said before that these are the first shots of Page with a cigarette. As a by the way, these were the gardens immediately behind the Swan Song Records Office at 484 Kings Road in Chelsea. As I recall this photo shoot was done in conjunction with an interview at the office.

December 3, 1977 - NME

1977-12-07-nme-jp.jpg

1 hour ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Is that a Dave Edmunds album under the newspaper and sandwich? Can anyone ID the gear? Revox reel to reel maybe? 

Yes, that's the Dave Edmunds album titled Get It, released in April 1977. This photo was most likely taken in late October 1977, when Page did a series of interviews for the UK press to confirm Led Zeppelin would continue. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, SteveAJones said:

Yes, that's the Dave Edmunds album titled Get It, released in April 1977. This photo was most likely taken in late October 1977, when Page did a series of interviews for the UK press to confirm Led Zeppelin would continue. 

I just saw this same photo is published in the Uncut Ultimate Series: Led Zeppelin magazine (August 2018). It's captioned as Oct 1977.

28 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I just saw this same photo is published in the Uncut Ultimate Series: Led Zeppelin magazine (August 2018). It's captioned as Oct 1977.

Plot thickens then..

If this isn't 76 this can't be the first pic we see of him smoking

Because this shot of him sitting down is most definitely the same day as him in the garden

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Plot thickens then..

If this isn't 76 this can't be the first pic we see of him smoking

Because this shot of him sitting down is most definitely the same day as him in the garden

Well, again it's occasionally been said that it is but I think we've just proven that it isn't. There's a shot of him onstage in the white dragon suit smoking a cigarette (1977). 

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Well, again it's occasionally been said that it is but I think we've just proven that it isn't. There's a shot of him onstage in the white dragon suit smoking a cigarette (1977). 

I think there's probably 1000 pics of him smoking in a white suit in 1977

1 hour ago, phazedchinawhite said:

Guessing this is from somewhere in 1977? Any hints at the possible time

50dc0347-f2b5-4d1c-9d42-2f2085b07679.jpg

Melody Maker Reader's Poll Awards at the Carlton Hotel in London on September 17, 1975

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/melody-maker-awards-9-17-75

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Perhaps this has been previously discussed---or should be placed in another topic, etc. (1st post, sorry)   Found this image of Jimmy on Ebay, supposedly 9/9/66 at Alexandria Roller Rink Yardbirds concert... playing a borrowed guitar -- it would appear that before returning to UK, the Yardbirds (post Beck) shipped their instruments back from California but stopped over in Alexandria and Baltimore for 2 shows, which they played with borrowed equipment.  Hadn't heard of this before!  Was wondering if there was any background on where they borrowed the equipment from for the Alexandria show (and Baltimore show I would assume) and what kind of guitar Jimmy is playing here.  (Les Paul Custom?)  The item description details Jimmy's frustration with the borrowed equipment...

"THE YARDBIRDS toured without the benefit and evidently financially draining set of their own musical instruments.  A band known for the new experimental sound of "distortion" on their music -  unable to coax this signature sound and now expected sound out of the borrowed equipment.  A young lead guitarist named Jimmy Page who’s frustration made for a near rock and roll meltdown culminating in a near row after the set in the backstage area or as the Roller Rink was known as the “Skate Room.”  

Any background on this interesting wrap up to the Yardbirds 1966 US summer tour would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!  

s-l500.jpg

6 minutes ago, djmaus said:

Perhaps this has been previously discussed---or should be placed in another topic, etc. (1st post, sorry)   Found this image of Jimmy on Ebay, supposedly 9/9/66 at Alexandria Roller Rink Yardbirds concert... playing a borrowed guitar -- it would appear that before returning to UK, the Yardbirds (post Beck) shipped their instruments back from California but stopped over in Alexandria and Baltimore for 2 shows, which they played with borrowed equipment.  Hadn't heard of this before!  Was wondering if there was any background on where they borrowed the equipment from for the Alexandria show (and Baltimore show I would assume) and what kind of guitar Jimmy is playing here.  (Les Paul Custom?)  The item description details Jimmy's frustration with the borrowed equipment...

"THE YARDBIRDS toured without the benefit and evidently financially draining set of their own musical instruments.  A band known for the new experimental sound of "distortion" on their music -  unable to coax this signature sound and now expected sound out of the borrowed equipment.  A young lead guitarist named Jimmy Page who’s frustration made for a near rock and roll meltdown culminating in a near row after the set in the backstage area or as the Roller Rink was known as the “Skate Room.”  

Any background on this interesting wrap up to the Yardbirds 1966 US summer tour would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!  

s-l500.jpg

Both gigs were performed without Jeff Beck, who collapsed the day of the San Francisco gig (8/25/66) necessitating that Jimmy take over on lead guitar that night and the remaining dates after Beck had surgery for tonsillitis that weekend in San Francisco and effectively dropped out of the tour. The guitar Jimmy uses possibly matches that of Jeff's as shown in the photo below from Great Falls, MT on 8/14/66. However, the drum kit clearly seems to be completely different.

1966 08 14 009 (Credit Glenn Bergstrom).jpg

1966 08 14 011 (Credit Glenn Bergstrom).jpg

Thank you sir...  that makes sense!  It's Jeff Beck's famous "Yardbird Burst" Les Paul that Jimmy apparently carried to the East Coast from California.  (Sound problems were apparently associated with the amps, not this famous guitar! which was a 1959 Les Paul Standard that Jeff bought at Selmer's music, Charing Cross Road for 175 pounds UK. There are scores of pictures of this guitar showing Jeff playing it from around the time of the 'Roger The Engineer' Yardbird's sessions up through the early Jeff Beck Group days.  Had never seen a photo of Jimmy playing Beck's Yardbird Burst...  well there it is.  Thanks for solving that mystery for me.  Interesting to note that Beck would also "give" Jimmy his blond tele (that he got from John Owen) during this same time period that Jimmy would decorate first with silver circles before it became the Dragon tele used exclusively on early Zep stuff and also the Stairway solo.  (Neck later used on B-Bender "Brown Bomber" tele as well.)  Apparently Beck got this Les Paul back and "left" the tele with Page and the Yardbirds.        

jeff-beck_esquire-004.jpg

ybburstscooter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Now this kid in the audience from UK Channel 4 News last night -HAS to be related to Jimmy ??  See his 1960 (ish) pic below.

(sorry I posted this previously in the wrong place —maybe this is still not it)ACA4B084-9092-41D9-9606-57627A56E7CB.thumb.png.59dd0c5684e6051b0a73644f6cf278e0.png

E39FF335-8EBD-4E2A-BBDE-26296D928FA7.jpeg

Edited by Paganini

8 hours ago, Paganini said:

Now this kid in the audience from UK Channel 4 News last night -HAS to be related to Jimmy ??  See his 1960 (ish) pic below.

(sorry I posted this previously in the wrong place —maybe this is still not it)ACA4B084-9092-41D9-9606-57627A56E7CB.thumb.png.59dd0c5684e6051b0a73644f6cf278e0.png

E39FF335-8EBD-4E2A-BBDE-26296D928FA7.jpeg

Dunno about that but the kid on the left of the pic was sired by some synthpop bloke in the 80s.

12 hours ago, 76229 said:

Dunno about that but the kid on the left of the pic was sired by some synthpop bloke in the 80s.

Haha ..yes ..maybe OMD or Depech Mode.😱. ..probably first -and last-time -those “bands” ever mentioned on this forum !

• 5 weeks later...