Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, June 3rd 1973

I was onstage with Led Zeppelin at Kezar Stadium, and there were some white doves in cages that were to be released at the end of 'Stairway.' When the signal was given to release them, out they went ...but one circled for a moment and flew right into Robert's hands. Robert was the Prince of Peace, the Golden God, and this photo would look ridiculous with anybody else holding the bird. Any other male, that is. -- James Fortune (Photographer)

Robert Plant cited this as his favorite Led Zeppelin era photograph of himself during an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in 2005.

Thank you. :D

I'm sure someone here will know....who is with Jimmy?

waoso3.jpg

JimCummins.jpg

Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps, 1962

Photo Credit: Jim Cummins

Courtesy Jimmy Page Collection

“In early 1959, I joined a North London combo called Red-E-Lewis And The Redcats. I played rhythm guitar, and another guitar player called Bobby Oats took care of lead. In Easter 1959, Oates announced that he was going to leave the band to go to drama school, and so the band turned their attention to finding someone else. It was during the ensuing conversations about a replacement that I first heard the name Jimmy (the kid from Epsom) first mentioned. In the months before I joined, The Redcats had played a few gigs at the Ebisham Hall in Epsom. After these gigs, Jimmy would chat to the band and using Bobby's guitar played a few licks and riffs and some Chuck Berry solos". -- John Spicer aka "Jumbo Spicer"

Chris Tidmarsh, The Redcats’ manager, contacted Jimmy and invited him down to Shoreditch, where the band rehearsed in a room above a pub with a view to auditioning for the vacancy.

I would definitely have dated this before 1981. His hair was way shorter by Dec 1981 and his appearance was far less healthy.

Sam obtained a date of March 26, 1980 from a photo agency site so I'm attempting to confirm if there was a film premier of some sort on that date and at which cinema.

JimCummins.jpg

"In early 1959, I joined a North London combo called Red-E-Lewis And The Redcats. I played rhythm guitar, and another guitar player called Bobby Oats took care of lead. In Easter 1959, Oates announced that he was going to leave the band to go to drama school, and so the band turned their attention to finding someone else. It was during the ensuing conversations about a replacement that I first heard the name Jimmy (the kid from Epsom) first mentioned. In the months before I joined, The Redcats had played a few gigs at the Ebisham Hall in Epsom. After these gigs, Jimmy would chat to the band and using Bobby's guitar played a few licks and riffs and some Chuck Berry solos". -- John Spicer aka "Jumbo Spicer"

Chris Tidmarsh, The Redcats' manager, contacted Jimmy and invited him down to Shoreditch, where the band rehearsed in a room above a pub with a view to auditioning for the vacancy.

Thanks Steve...

Hey Steve! Got another one for you. I found this picture below a while back and the date, as I saved it, said 2/1/1975 which is one of the days Zeppelin played at Pittsburg (2/2/1975 is disputed, as discussed on that Led Zeppelin reference website you showed me). I know there are not known bootleg/SBD recordings of the show circulating but how about pictures? Just curious, thanks!

1975-02-01_Pittsburgh_04_STH.jpg

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

Hey Steve! Got another one for you. I found this picture below a while back and the date, as I saved it, said 2/1/1975 which is one of the days Zeppelin played at Pittsburg (2/2/1975 is disputed, as discussed on that Led Zeppelin reference website you showed me). I know there are not known bootleg/SBD recordings of the show circulating but how about pictures? Just curious, thanks!

1975-02-01_Pittsburgh_04_STH.jpg

Good question. So far as I know there aren't any photographs in circulation from the unconfirmed 2/2/75 Pittsburgh gig.

Here is a link to additional photos taken during the confirmed 2/1/75 Pittsburgh gig:

http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/photopage.aspx?showid=451

JimCummins.jpg

“In early 1959, I joined a North London combo called Red-E-Lewis And The Redcats. I played rhythm guitar, and another guitar player called Bobby Oats took care of lead. In Easter 1959, Oates announced that he was going to leave the band to go to drama school, and so the band turned their attention to finding someone else. It was during the ensuing conversations about a replacement that I first heard the name Jimmy (the kid from Epsom) first mentioned. In the months before I joined, The Redcats had played a few gigs at the Ebisham Hall in Epsom. After these gigs, Jimmy would chat to the band and using Bobby's guitar played a few licks and riffs and some Chuck Berry solos". -- John Spicer aka "Jumbo Spicer"

Chris Tidmarsh, The Redcats’ manager, contacted Jimmy and invited him down to Shoreditch, where the band rehearsed in a room above a pub with a view to auditioning for the vacancy.

Ok, so that's John "Jumbo" Spicer with the guitar. The drummer is "Tornado Evans" I believe, but who is Jimmy Rook?

Ok, so that's John "Jumbo" Spicer with the guitar. The drummer is "Tornado Evans" I believe, but who is Jimmy Rook?

I haven't got that worked out yet. I'm actually beginning to wonder if Jimmy's caption is incorrect regarding the date, or perhaps it's some sort of jam.

Various Line-ups of The Redcaps

Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps #1 (1958 - Early 1959)

· Reddy Lewis (Lead Vocals)

· Johnny Patto (Lead Guitar)

· Mick Green (Rhythm Guitar)

· Johnny Spence (Bass)

· Frank Farley (Drums)

Red E. Lewis & The Redcats #2 (Early - Easter 1959)

· Bobby Oats (Lead Guitar)

· Jumbo Spicer (Rhythm Guitar)

· Tornado Evans (Drums)

Red E. Lewis & The Red Cats #3 (Easter 1959 - Spring 1960)

· Jimmy Page (Lead Guitar)

· Jumbo Spicer (Bass)

· Tornado Evans (Drums)

Cuddly Duddly With Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps #4 (May - July 1961)

· Cuddly Duddly (Lead Vocals)

· Reddy Lewis (Vocals)

· Johnny Spence (Bass)

· Vic Cooper (Keyboards)

· Frank Farley (Drums)

I haven't got that worked out yet. I'm actually beginning to wonder if Jimmy's caption is incorrect regarding the date, or perhaps it's some sort of jam.

Various Line-ups of The Redcaps

Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps #1 (1958 - Early 1959)

· Johnny Spence (Bass)

· Frank Farley (Drums)

Red E. Lewis & The Redcats #2 (Early - Easter 1959)

· Bobby Oats (Lead Guitar)

· Jumbo Spicer (Rhythm Guitar)

· Tornado Evans (Drums)

Red E. Lewis & The Red Cats #3 (Easter 1959 - Spring 1960)

· Jimmy Page (Lead Guitar)

· Jumbo Spicer (Bass)

· Tornado Evans (Drums)

Cuddly Duddly With Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps #4 (May - July 1961)

· Cuddly Duddly (Lead Vocals)

· Reddy Lewis (Vocals)

· Johnny Spence (Bass)

· Vic Cooper (Keyboards)

· Frank Farley (Drums)

It seems that Tornado Evans is actually Jimmy "Tornado" Evans...still no idea about the Rook part...unless that was another (short-lived) pseudonym, or maybe the drums were borrowed from another band. Didn't Jimmy record with the Redcaps after he left the band (which could explain the date)?

Edited by thozil

It seems that Tornado Evans is actually Jimmy "Tornado" Evans...still no idea about the Rook part...unless that was another (short-lived) pseudonym, or maybe the drums were borrowed from another band. Didn't Jimmy record with the Redcaps after he left the band (which could explain the date)?

Yes, indeed perhaps it is a pseudonym for the drummer, just as Jimmy's stage name with Neil Christian and The Crusaders was Nelson Storm.

If I recall correctly, Jimmy's first touring and recording experiences were with Neil Christian and The Crusaders, whom he joined after Red E. Lewis and The Redcaps.

• 3 weeks later...

Robert Plant: The Tall Cool One

These slide transparencies show Robert Plant wearing the same shirt he wore onstage during Led Zeppelin's set for Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary concert at Madison Square Garden in New York on May 14, 1988. I'd never seen any photographs of him wearing that particular shirt elsewhere until their discovery. Clearly he's not at Madison Square Garden, but I have no information on them whatsoever, aside from the source resides in California and Robert doesn't seem too keen on having been photographed at the time. I am well and truly stumped; does anyone know where and when were these pictures were taken?

1988002.jpg

1988001.jpg

Scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

Seeking any information on this photograph. Perhaps it was snapped at home in West Hagley whilst they were preparing to move to the Old Hyde Farm, or at the Old Hyde Farm as they were moving in?

JohnBonhamChair.jpg

John Bonham of Led Zeppelin

Edited by SteveAJones

Seeking any information on this photograph. Perhaps it was snapped at home in West Hagley whilst they were preparing to move to the Old Hyde Farm, or at the Old Hyde Farm as they were moving in?

JohnBonhamChair.jpg

John Bonham of Led Zeppelin

All I can contribute is another copy of the pic that shows a bit more of him:

jb214.jpg

And I can't remember where I found it. I believe it was linked out of some mysterious Photobucket into a blog or something. No info accompanying it, though. Sorry. :(

Hey, I was thieving in the Planty thread and found this scan. The pic in question is cut off on the bottom -- and there's a caption! :)

2n9jew5.jpg

"...drummer John Bonham poses with a chair in the back garden of his Midlands home."

Caption also says it was taken by Zacron.

There's different ones at this Zacron linky: http://www.zacron.com/view-item.asp?iid=1042&new=false.