Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Many thanks. Sam, the webmaster posted similar findings some time ago. Thus far I've been unable to confirm the date is correct and what the location is.

I wouldn't really disagree with the date - it looks like 1980 to me. After the 1980 tour Jimmy went very grey around the temples and remained peppered with grey through most of the following years including the first UK Firm dates.

Also that looks like the jacket he wore to the Golden Lion Charity Raffle in Dec 1981 - this pic is NOT from that night, but I don't believe I ever saw him wear that again after that evening. (Am very prepared to be proved wrong! )

Edited by Knebby

I think her eyes and eyebrows look very much like Charlotte's. I'm not sure if she is, but she certainly looks more like her than Morgana. I use this as an example. I think this is from the '70's of Charlotte.

33656_149817765056060_100000835113667_215859_4688570_n.jpg

Edited by aen27

I actually wouldn't have thought it was Charlotte, but it was clearly a family event attended by young Jason so I'm sure he wouldn't be hugging a lady friend such as Morganna there. So maybe!

Happy New Year AEN, btw ;)

Happy new year to you, too! :D

Edited by aen27

I actually wouldn't have thought it was Charlotte, but it was clearly a family event attended by young Jason so I'm sure he wouldn't be hugging a lady friend such as Morganna there. So maybe!

Since we now know Jason was there that rules out anywhere in the USA prior to '77. Robert's got those gloves on leading me to think it was a cold weather month in UK/Europe, and yet Jason's jacket is off (or about to be put back on). If the woman just arrived from the chilly outdoors it would explain her "crying expression" as someone put it, then again perhaps they are saying goodbye as the band prepares to leave for recording/touring. To me that mural suggests it's some kind of venue though. I'm just speculating out loud...

Steve/Sam-

Here's a photo mystery that has haunted me for years;

Why is there only ONE photo of the band from any of the BBC sessions?

Not a single photo from the 71 set..onstage,backstage,offstage etc.

It seems to be a huge enigma in the Zep photo world.

( I understand that the BBC had a "no camera policy" that would have minimzed the chances of an onstage photo).

But there's nothing from before and/or after the shows?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to be hugging a groupie. She isn't groupie-like, anyway, y'know? She's wearing a big corduroy jacket, not, like, y'know, stupid groupie crap. :P

And from a girl's perspective... if Mr. Plant were feeling affectionate enough to draw your face towards his (with those murderer gloves!,) would you really be pouting and giving him a sorta sideways-hug? That's not a groupie hug. Or it's a groupie in an un-groupie-mood.

Plus, most of the pics I've ever seen of Mr. Plant being ornery with groupies usually show him smiling like he ate the canary. 'Cept for that one at Rodney's English Disco, in which case he looks mad.

Since we now know Jason was there that rules out anywhere in the USA prior to '77. Robert's got those gloves on leading me to think it was a cold weather month in UK/Europe, and yet Jason's jacket is off (or about to be put back on). If the woman just arrived from the chilly outdoors it would explain her "crying expression" as someone put it, then again perhaps they are saying goodbye as the band prepares to leave for recording/touring. To me that mural suggests it's some kind of venue though. I'm just speculating out loud...

To continue speculating... could he hunker like that after his car accident? That'd put pressure on your ankle for sure.

I'll go ahead and blurt out the absurd thing I was thinking, even though I'm 99% sure I'm wrong and have nothing to back this with. Maybe it's his sister. Never seen a pic of her. I think she's quite a few years younger than him, and that sorta looks right in the pic. (He's 28-ish or something, and she looks sorta college-aged.) And I kinda see a resemblance... But I dunno. My brother would never hug me like that.

I was gonna google around and see if I could find a pic of her, but I didn't do a very good job because I felt bad searching for her. :( It seems too nosy.

EDIT: Oh! And to help with dating the pic, we gotta remember that phase Mr. Plant went through when he had the bangs in 1976. So this is before or after both his car accident and his bangs period.

Edited by Kayte

Yeah, he doesn't seem to be hugging a groupie. She isn't groupie-like, anyway, y'know? She's wearing a big corduroy jacket, not, like, y'know, stupid groupie crap. :P

And from a girl's perspective... if Mr. Plant were feeling affectionate enough to draw your face towards his (with those murderer gloves!,) would you really be pouting and giving him a sorta sideways-hug? That's not a groupie hug. Or it's a groupie in an un-groupie-mood.

Plus, most of the pics I've ever seen of Mr. Plant being ornery with groupies usually show him smiling like he ate the canary. 'Cept for that one at Rodney's English Disco, in which case he looks mad.

To continue speculating... could he hunker like that after his car accident? That'd put pressure on your ankle for sure.

I'll go ahead and blurt out the absurd thing I was thinking, even though I'm 99% sure I'm wrong and have nothing to back this with. Maybe it's his sister. Never seen a pic of her. I think she's quite a few years younger than him, and that sorta looks right in the pic. (He's 28-ish or something, and she looks sorta college-aged.) And I kinda see a resemblance... But I dunno. My brother would never hug me like that.

I was gonna google around and see if I could find a pic of her, but I didn't do a very good job because I felt bad searching for her. :( It seems too nosy.

EDIT: Oh! And to help with dating the pic, we gotta remember that phase Mr. Plant went through when he had the bangs in 1976. So this is before or after both his car accident and his bangs period.

Alison Plant? Hmm, maybe. I do think perhaps you could be on to something here. We know he celebrated on New Years Day '76 by taking his first steps in Paris. Later that some month Plant, Page and Bonham left for New York and on to Los Angeles (JPJ joined them later). Perhaps this was taken as Robert & Bonzo were leaving the Midlands (or London) in Jan 1976 ? I could be and probably am quite wrong but hopefully correct confirmation can be achieve through collaboration. I'll bet Jason knows.

Edited by SteveAJones

Authentic?

I've received this photo privately. It shows Jimmy standing on the wing of an aircraft. It looks photoshopped to me as his body isn't casting a shadow. Anyone seen this shot before? Is it in the book? I have several offstage shots of Jimmy in San Francisco during the ARMS tour (Nov 30 thru Dec 83) wearing these exact same clothes.

I'm hoping someone out there can put this one to rest before I start googling San Francisco airport, among others, to match the image against the hotels behind him.

jimmyonthewingoftheairplane.jpg

I was going to speculate she bears a resemblance to Morgana Welch (groupie) but in either case it isn't clear to me. As a by the way, Jimmy & Charlotte were never legally married. As such he usually referred to her as "my lady", not "my wife".

definitely not morgana..........

Authentic?

I've received this photo privately. It shows Jimmy standing on the wing of an aircraft. It looks photoshopped to me as his body isn't casting a shadow. Anyone seen this shot before? Is it in the book? I have several offstage shots of Jimmy in San Francisco during the ARMS tour (Nov 30 thru Dec 83) wearing these exact same clothes.

I'm hoping someone out there can put this one to rest before I start googling San Francisco airport, among others, to match the image against the hotels behind him.

This is a picture that appears in the book. It appears in the brochure I was sent by Genesis with their letter for being late. It also was in the exhibit for the book. Someone who attended and took pictures prove this was there. Those are on facebook on her page. It is dated from during the Arms tour.

Edited by aen27

Steve, This picture shows Number 2 I think with a black bridge pick-up in 1975. I always remember the bridge pick-up being cream. Did he change it in '75?

PIXA2.jpg

This is the #2 Les Paul. The pickup is black because it was photoshopped by Gibson when they introduced the #2 Les Paul from their custom shop. They could not issue the custom guitar with the cream colored pickup because of a trademark issue, and per Jimmy's directive they went with black.

Somewhere around here I have the original photo with the cream pickup, but am not gonna look for it now. Also, it should be noted the #1 Les Paul still had the silver cover over the bridge pickup in 1975.

My father always told me you couldn't walk on the wing of a plane, and I so wanted to! :angry: He musta said it just to keep me off his plane! Cool pic, though, regardless.

Here's a question that's probably easily answered, but I need help. bucktooth.gif Regarding these two shots...

lz0039.jpg

lz0040c.jpg

I thought for a long time they were from the Gold Record Awards shindig on Dec 11, 1969. But the pics don't quite match with those. Behold:

lz0490.jpg

lz1534.jpg

So where's the two earlier ones from? Thank you!

Here's a question that's probably easily answered, but I need help. bucktooth.gif Regarding these two shots...

lz0039.jpg

lz0040c.jpg

My notes show on May 26, 1969 Atlantic Record's Vice President Jerry Wexler presented the band with their gold album awards for 'Led Zeppelin'.

The presentation was held in the Plaza 9 Room (?) of the Plaza Hotel in New York City. Jerry Wexler is in the photo to the right of Peter Grant.

I have several offstage shots of Jimmy in San Francisco during the ARMS tour (Nov 30 thru Dec 83) wearing these exact same clothes.

This shot was taken in Los Angeles on the south side of LAX, at AiResearch.

• Administrators

My father always told me you couldn't walk on the wing of a plane, and I so wanted to! :angry: He musta said it just to keep me off his plane! Cool pic, though, regardless.

lz0039.jpg

lz0040c.jpg

I thought for a long time they were from the Gold Record Awards shindig on Dec 11, 1969. But the pics don't quite match with those. Behold:

lz0490.jpg

lz1534.jpg

So where's the two earlier ones from? Thank you!

Gold Record Award Party - Plaza Hotel (NYC)

ledzeppelin.com/event/may-26-1969

Gold Record Awards - Savoy Hotel (UK)

http://www.ledzeppel...ecember-11-1969

• Administrators

I've been cross checking the Gold Disc awards, which I believe is actually:

Party at the Plaza Hotel (May 26, 1969)

Gold Disc Awards (July 22, 1969)

ledzeppelin.com/event/july-22-1969

and the UK one in December

ledzeppelin.com/event/december-11-1969

I've been cross checking the Gold Disc awards, which I believe is actually:

Party at the Plaza Hotel (May 26, 1969)

Gold Disc Awards (July 22, 1969)

ledzeppelin.com/event/july-22-1969

and the UK one in December

ledzeppelin.com/event/december-11-1969

^^^

Having reviewed these links I completely agree with your findings. Jimmy's quotes concerning Chicago the week prior clinches it. Nice work, Sam!

• 2 weeks later...

Steve/Sam-

( I understand that the BBC had a "no camera policy" that would have minimzed the chances of an onstage photo).

But there's nothing from before and/or after ANY of these shows?

Steve/Sam-

But there's nothing from before and/or after ANY of these shows?

It's a fair question Frank. One thought that comes to mind is the BBC's general disregard for documenting and preserving rock music at the time. Think of all those master tapes that were wiped or disposed of. Another thought is who is going to

take the photos? If there wasn't a staff photographer assigned to the session(s) or someone with a camera and enough

foresight to take pictures...

All I can add is for the April 1, 1971 session there should have been ample opportunity to get photographs. The band held a rehearsal session at 3pm before recording from 9-10:45pm.

Edited by SteveAJones