Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

It's a fair question Frank. One thought that comes to mind is the BBC's general disregard for documenting and preserving rock music at the time. Think of all those master tapes that were wiped or disposed of. Another thought is who is going to

take the photos? If there wasn't a staff photographer assigned to the session(s) or someone with a camera and enough

foresight to take pictures...

All I can add is for the April 1, 1971 session there should have been ample opportunity to get photographs. The band held a rehearsal session at 3pm before recording from 9-10:45pm.

Thanks for your reply,Steve. That all follows with the "no camera" policy I had heard of in the past.

However,its frustrating that not one person had the foresight to capture the band pre and post concert at the very least.It just doesn't make any sense.

The master tape wiping is criminal.

And one has to wonder if the band recorded their rehearsal session prior to the show.

Good info. Thanks again Steve.

Does anyone know the identity of the woman with John Bonham? It looks like Charlotte M. to me, circa 1977 (the date on Bonzo's t shirt).

post-16361-0-64168300-1296150119_thumb.j

Hi Lorraine! :wave:

I don't know how to tell you this, but I think that is a guy. But I could be wrong....I'm sure someone here will know..............:) your friend missy

P.S. Have fun Saturday! ;)

Hi Lorraine! :wave:

I don't know how to tell you this, but I think that is a guy. But I could be wrong....I'm sure someone here will know..............:) your friend missy

P.S. Have fun Saturday! ;)

Not sure if you clicked on the thumbnail of the photo so it would enlarge but it definitely looks like a female in that view.

Does anyone know the identity of the woman with John Bonham? It looks like Charlotte M. to me, circa 1977 (the date on Bonzo's t shirt).

post-16361-0-64168300-1296150119_thumb.j

I don't know but she's wearing a Showco t-shirt. Perhaps she is associated with that Dallas-based light and sound company. The photo was almost certainly taken during the 1977 North American tour. Brick work matches dressing room of the Pontiac Silverdome but there's no signs posted on the wall to further suggest or confirm that is where it was taken.

Edited by SteveAJones

Not sure if you clicked on the thumbnail of the photo so it would enlarge but it definitely looks like a female in that view.

Hi Jahfin, :wave:

Geez, this is embarrassing. Yes, I actually did enlarge the photo. What made me think it was a guy was the leather bomber style jacket, the aviator style sunglasses, the somewhat uncombed hair, and the way she is sitting in the chair.

On the other hand, I thought guys do not normally hold their cigarettes like that and also would a guy put his hand on Bonzo's shoulder like that? So I wasn't 100 percent sure, as I said in my original reply.

All my reasoning should be thrown out anyhow as it is based on stereotypical ideas of male/female. But in my weak defense, that's all I had to go on.

I think if the photo was in color (or even better with caption) then it would have been easier for people (me at least) to tell gender.

Thank-you both and SteveAJones too for the additional info about the Showco staff. That information also would explain her dress code etc.

I'd like to end this with a smiley face with egg all over it's face, but since we don't have one..........:slapface: missy

P.S. I just noticed that I neglected to answer Lorraine's other question and can't edit it now.

Hi Lorraine! If you catch this post, one thing I'm sure of is that is not a picture of Charlotte Martin. Sorry I overlooked that question earlier!.......:) your friend missy

Edited by missytootsweet

I had seen the 2nd photo a few years back and couldn't figure out where it was from. First thought was when Jimmy and Robert Plant sat in with Foreigner in Munich 5-12-82 on an encore of Lucille. Then I saw the first pic recently and on the Achilles Last Stand site they claim these pics are from- London, Rainbow Theatre December 19, 1974 with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones join Duster Bennett and Bad Company (vocalist Paul Rodgers, guitarist Mick Ralphs, drummer Simon Kirke, guitarist Howard Leese and bassist Boz Burrell) in an encore playing Rock me baby.

After seeing the first pic- you can see Bad Company on the bass drum head and you can see Mick Ralphs behind Jimmy. But I have a problem with the date as I have never seen Jimmy use that yellow guitar strap until the warm-up shows in Copenhagen 1979 and the Knebworth shows in 1979. He used that yellow strap up until the second Firm tour. But his hair matches the time period in late 1974-1975. Anyone have any ideas- again it might be the right date-just curious what anyone else thinks as these are rarely seen pics.

jp19741219_01.jpg

jp19741219_02.jpg

Anyone have any ideas- again it might be the right date-just curious what anyone else thinks as these are rarely seen pics.

There are two other possibilities:

September 1, 1974

Austin, TX

University of Texas Memorial Stadium - ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' Stompin' Barndance and Bar B.Q.

Page joins Bad Company for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby' upon their request that he do so…Santana co-headlined, with Joe Cocker and Bad Company opening

September 4, 1974

New York, NY

Central Park - Schaefer Music Festival

Page attends this event with Peter Grant; watches side stage and joins Bad Company (opening for Foghat) again for their second encore, a jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

There are two other possibilities:

September 1, 1974

Austin, TX

University of Texas Memorial Stadium - ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' Stompin' Barndance and Bar B.Q.

Page joins Bad Company for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby' upon their request that he do so…Santana co-headlined, with Joe Cocker and Bad Company opening

September 4, 1974

New York, NY

Central Park - Schaefer Music Festival

Page attends this event with Peter Grant; watches side stage and joins Bad Company (opening for Foghat) again for their second encore, a jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

I have seen the pics for the Austin show in the book-'the Photographers' and no it is not from there. I don't have any pics from that show scanned and there are some of Jimmy full on and he is wearing different clothes-all I could find is this one shot from his backside.

jp19740901_01.jpg

It is not from the Central park show either. Although they played Rock me baby at both of these Bad Company shows as well haha

jp19740924_01.jpg

jp19740924_09.jpg

There is another show from April 3, 1979

Birmingham, West Midlands, England

Where Robert Plant, John Bonham and Jimmy Page join Bad Company for an encore performance of I'm Going Down but no pics for that show and Jimmy's hair doesn't match for that period.

Bam -I think I found it-

May 23, 1976

Inglewood, California

The Forum ---Jimmy Page and Robert Plant joined Bad Company (vocalist Paul Rodgers, guitarist Mick Ralphs, drummer Simon Kirke, guitarist Howard Leese and bassist Boz Burrell) on stage. have the audio for this show to and Jimmy blows Mick Ralphs off the stage. haha I only have the version of I wanna make love to you-not the other 3 songs.

Setlist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Train Kept A-Rollin'

2. You Shook Me

3. Bring It On Home

4. I Just Wanna Make Love To You

pp19760523_01.jpg

62068_150627568308413_1000008351136.jpg

Anyone have a clue as to pic on the button on Robert's jacket?

I'm 99% certain it's a "home made" button of a photo of Jimmy Page in a suit with his hands beneath his chin that was published in a magazine in 1976. It was probably made (and presented or borrowed as a gag for this photo) by Dave

Lewis, who is pictured on the far right. The photo looks to be 1977 at an airport (probably Heathrow). Dave may confirm

over the weekend.

I'm 99% certain it's a "home made" button of a photo of Jimmy Page in a suit with his hands beneath his chin that was published in a magazine in 1976. It was probably made (and presented or borrowed as a gag for this photo) by Dave

Lewis, who is pictured on the far right. The photo looks to be 1977 at an airport (probably Heathrow). Dave may confirm

over the weekend.

Could be a picture of the Queen as it was the Silver Jubilee in 1977. Just a thought :)

Could be a picture of the Queen as it was the Silver Jubilee in 1977. Just a thought :)

Looks like that to me too! I remember Robert trying to steal a badge/pin from my pal in 1981' just before the Royal wedding - it was the engagement pic of Charles and Diana, but Charles had a bald head, and the caption was "The King and Di" - he loved it :)

Looks like that to me too! I remember Robert trying to steal a badge/pin from my pal in 1981' just before the Royal wedding - it was the engagement pic of Charles and Diana, but Charles had a bald head, and the caption was "The King and Di" - he loved it

You both sound convinced it's the Queen; given it was the Silver Jubilee that makes sense to me. Will see if Dave confirms.

Just a thought Steve, I may be well off the mark.

I don't think you are. I seem to remember one of those buttons hanging around my mom and dad's place. I may even have it tucked away in storage