Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

62068_150627568308413_1000008351136.jpg

Anyone have a clue as to pic on the button on Robert's jacket?

Inquiry email to Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose dated February 19, 2011:

Hello Dave,

Yet another photo of you has surfaced on the official Led Zeppelin site. There's been some discussion of it in the forum. I wanted to inquire directly if you could confirm what button Robert is wearing and if you were the one who gave it to him? Also, if you could confirm the photo was taken at Heathrow, if the others were present and the date. Many thanks, Dave! Steve A. Jones

Reply email dated February 19, 2011:

Steve

This photo was taken at Heathrow Airport on the afternoon of Tuesday May 17th 1977. They were flying out for the second leg of the tour which resumed the next day in Birmingham Alabama. All of the band were there - Jimmy arrived wearing a white suit in a range rover with his driver Rick Hobbs. Bonzo, Robert and JPJ arrived in a limo. Richard Cole was also there.

I had been at the Swan Song office earlier - I was asked to go out and buy copies of the Evening Standard which had an apology for a story they ran of a case of mistaken identity concerning someone who had claimed to be Robert Plant in Atlanta and had been arrested for drunkenness and carrying a knife - these were being sent to Peter Grant. Unity at Swan Song gave me various 10x 8 prints of the band to get signed.

Robert was wearing a badge with a picture of the Queen on it (this was her Silver Jubilee year) and a silver pendant badge of a viking ship. He also wore the Queen badge at the Ivor Novello Awards a few days earlier. JPJ had as you can see wore a union jack zipper jacket and a Song Remains The Same t shirt.

I got there around 4pm - there was a Welsh fan named Russ Rees also there with a couple of his friends - he took the pic. I was lucky enough to spend nearly two hours chatting as they waited for their flight call at 6pm. They signed various photos which I am holding. A very memorable day.

If you can spread the TBL message on the forum I'd be most grateful - TBL 28 can be ordered via this link on the TBL site:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?page_id=8191

Best Regards

Dave

Edited by SteveAJones

Hello Dave,

Yet another photo of you has surfaced on the official Led Zeppelin site. There's been some discussion of it in the forum. I wanted to inquire directly if you could confirm what button Robert is wearing and if you were the one who gave it to him? Also, if you could confirm the photo was taken at Heathrow, if the others were present and the date. Many thanks, Dave! Steve A. Jones

Steve

This photo was taken at Heathrow Airport on the afternoon of Tuesday May 17th 1977. They were flying out for the second leg of the tour which resumed the next day in Birmingham Alabama. All of the band were there - Jimmy arrived wearing a white suit in a range rover with his driver Rick Hobbs. Bonzo, Robert and JPJ arrived in a limo. Richard Cole was also there.

I had been at the Swan Song office earlier - I was asked to go out and buy copies of the Evening Standard which had an apology for a story they ran of a case of mistaken identity concerning someone who had claimed to be Robert Plant in Atlanta and had been arrested for drunkenness and carrying a knife - these were being sent to Peter Grant. Unity at Swan Song gave me various 10x 8 prints of the band to get signed.

Robert was wearing a badge with a picture of the Queen on it (this was her Silver Jubilee year) and a silver pendant badge of a viking ship. He also wore the Queen badge at the Ivor Novello Awards a few days earlier. JPJ had as you can see wore a union jack zipper jacket and a Song Remains The Same t shirt.

I got there around 4pm - there was a Welsh fan named Russ Rees also there with a couple of his friends - he took the pic. I was lucky enough to spend nearly two hours chatting as they waited for their flight call at 6pm. They signed various photos which I am holding. A very memorable day.

If you can spread the TBL message on the forum I'd be most grateful - TBL 28 can be ordered via this link on the TBL site:

Best Regards

Dave

Thanks for that. Something did trigger me on the Queen thing.

Hello Dave,

Steve

Best Regards

Dave

Thanks so much Steve!bravo.gif

Steve or anyone else. I have seen pics from this show but don't know exactly where it is from. You can tell the show as Jimmy has a real flower pinned to his right shoulder. I am thinking it is from one of the LA 1977 shows. Maybe from the 1st show june 21st.

I know it is not from the 22nd as he wore the black dragon suit. Anyone know for sure?

zep_rare_507.jpg

Steve or anyone else. I have seen pics from this show but don't know exactly where it is from. You can tell the show as Jimmy has a real flower pinned to his right shoulder. I am thinking it is from one of the LA 1977 shows. Maybe from the 1st show june 21st.

I know it is not from the 22nd as he wore the black dragon suit. Anyone know for sure?

zep_rare_507.jpg

That looks to be 'Sick Again' as he still has the scarf on, which never stayed on during the whole show. I've seen photos of the band during 'The Song Remains The Same' from the 6/21 show and Jimmy was wearing sunglasses, maybe he took them off before Sick Again? but that would have been pretty hard to do as it starts the second after TSRTS finishes.

I had been at the Swan Song office earlier - I was asked to go out and buy copies of the Evening Standard which had an apology for a story they ran of a case of mistaken identity concerning someone who had claimed to be Robert Plant in Atlanta and had been arrested for drunkenness and carrying a knife - these were being sent to Peter Grant.

19770721Circus.jpg

Circus, July 21, 1977

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

It was acquired In April 1969 in California so perhaps that isn't the same guitar or, if it is, then the date and/or location is incorrect given he performed in New York on Apr 18th and in San Francisco on April 24th. He was photographed with it onstage at the Fillmore West (Apr 24-27th) so the photo may have been taken April 29-May 1st at Mirror Sound or Gold Star Recording Studios in Los Angeles.

"Jimmy was having trouble finding a good Les Paul back then. I had two, so I sold him one of mine. He used that Les Paul on the bulk of his work with Led Zeppelin. Once you get used to a Les Paul it becomes your axe from then on. Les Pauls are like that. Once you find your personal Les Paul, that's it."

-- Joe Walsh

1959 Les Paul Standard

Serial number 91703. Head modified to look like a '58 model head. A pair of spring loaded buttons have been attached beneath the lower edge of the scratchplate. One for choosing between pickups in series or parallel, the other allow the choice of ordinary or phased sounds. Regular potentiometers replaced scrapped in favor of two pairs of push/pulls allowing coil-tapping on either pickup and the option of employing all four coils in parallel. Modifications made by Jimmy's recording studio maintenance tech, Steve Hoyland.

Guitar doesn't have a serial number, that is why no definitive year can be determined and the Les Paul with the spring loaded buttons underneath the scratchplate is Les Paul #2 which he purchased later.

That looks to be 'Sick Again' as he still has the scarf on, which never stayed on during the whole show. I've seen photos of the band during 'The Song Remains The Same' from the 6/21 show and Jimmy was wearing sunglasses, maybe he took them off before Sick Again? but that would have been pretty hard to do as it starts the second after TSRTS finishes.

You are right that is Sick Again being played- I am wanting to know which show.

Here is another photo from the same show-he is either playing 'Over the Hills and far Away' or 'Achilles Last Stand'

PageOMSC142-1.jpg

Edited by DavidZoso

You are right that is Sick Again being played- I am wanting to know which show.

Here is another photo from the same show-he is either playing 'Over the Hills and far Away' or 'Achilles Last Stand'

PageOMSC142-1.jpg

He looks pretty schvetty to be only the 4th song or so of the night. I'd vote for ALS.

Well you are right to a degree haha about it being the 4th sond and yes Jimbo is quite sweaty already but at the second show in LA- 6-22-77 they didn't play 'Over the Hills and Far Away ' till late in the show- after 'Moby Dick' and before jimmy's guitar solo/Achilles Last Stand' but I don't think this pic is from that show for two reasons- He wore the black dragon suit but he did change into the white dargon suit after they came back to finsih 'Over the Top/Moby Dick' -so yes he is in the white dragon suit when they perform Over the Hills and Far away but I have a pic of them during Achilles Last stand after he had changed into the white dragon suit and you can clearly tell there is no real flower pinned to his shoulder.

So yes the pic above is during Achilles Last Stand but another odd thing is he used the red Les Paul mainly on Over the Hills and Far Away during the 1977 tour but he sometimes used it on Achilles Last Stand on that tour along with his number one sunburst Les Paul. What is even more wild is the 8mm video footage of this 6-22-77 show - He starts out on the Sunburst Les Paul but some where along the way he has switched to the Red Les Paul- you can see this footage on this site at the main menu in the video section. I had always had the silent footage but someone has matched up the actual sound and it looks good.

Here is a pic from earlier in the show 6-22-77-In My Time of Dying

la_6-22-77_bg_imtod2.jpg

And during Achilles Last Stand 6-22-77

la77-14.jpg

Well you are right to a degree haha about it being the 4th sond and yes Jimbo is quite sweaty already but at the second show in LA- 6-22-77 they didn't play 'Over the Hills and Far Away ' till late in the show- after 'Moby Dick' and before jimmy's guitar solo/Achilles Last Stand' but I don't think this pic is from that show for two reasons- He wore the black dragon suit but he did change into the white dargon suit after they came back to finsih 'Over the Top/Moby Dick' -so yes he is in the white dragon suit when they perform Over the Hills and Far away but I have a pic of them during Achilles Last stand after he had changed into the white dragon suit and you can clearly tell there is no real flower pinned to his shoulder.

So yes the pic above is during Achilles Last Stand but another odd thing is he used the red Les Paul mainly on Over the Hills and Far Away during the 1977 tour but he sometimes used it on Achilles Last Stand on that tour along with his number one sunburst Les Paul. What is even more wild is the 8mm video footage of this 6-22-77 show - He starts out on the Sunburst Les Paul but some where along the way he has switched to the Red Les Paul- you can see this footage on this site at the main menu in the video section. I had always had the silent footage but someone has matched up the actual sound and it looks good.

la_6-22-77_bg_imtod2.jpg

la77-14.jpg

I always thought that second pic was from the 21st. Cheers for clearing that up!

I love this photo.It could not be ALS cause they played it not at the beginning of the shows of this tour.

It might not even be "Sick again".Because they played this song directly after "The Song remains the same".So maybe JP had used

his doubleneck as he did in Knebworth.

Edited by Everybody needs the light

la_6-22-77_bg_imtod2.jpg

la77-14.jpg

Are the dates correct? Thought JP changed his black dragon into a white one.

I love this photo.It could not be ALS cause they played it not at the beginning of the shows of this tour.

It might not even be "Sick again".Because they played this song directly after "The Song remains the same".So maybe JP had used

his doubleneck as he did in Knebworth.

Huh? The pic on the previous page with Jimmy playing the double neck is Sick Again . Also, don't know what you mean by he used the double neck as he did at Knebworth. At Knebworth he played 'Sick Again' with the Sunburst Les Paul.

Yeah he did after Bonzo's drum solo I think. Hence why David said the pic was taken during Achilles Last Stand... The second to last song of the night (not including encores of course).

I know these photos are correct because I know someone who took similar photos from the same show and he was at other '77 shows and some in '75 as well.

Jimmy changed clothes on some of those shows. Examples.

The Chicago 4-10-77 show he starts off in the stormtrooper outfit but after Over the top/Moby dick he is back in the white dragon top and plain white pants like the previous 3 shows in Chicago and Oklahoma and hte starting date in Dallas. All plain pants-not the dragon white pants yet.

The LA 6-22-77 show he wore the black dragon suit until he changed into the full white dragon suit after the last part of Over the top/MOby Dick. Guess he wanted people who hadn't seen the previous shows- he wanted them to see his white outfits.

Then on the next night for the encores he ditched the white dragon jacket and came back on witha black/ with sparkly stuff all over it- similar to the one at the beginning of The Song Remains the Same video.

Huh? The pic on the previous page with Jimmy playing the double neck is Sick Again . Also, don't know what you mean by he used the double neck as he did at Knebworth. At Knebworth he played 'Sick Again' with the Sunburst Les Paul.

I was in Knebworth too-1st.night .As far as I remember he used the DN for this song cause it slipped directly from TSRTS.

I was in Knebworth too-1st.night .As far as I remember he used the DN for this song cause it slipped directly from TSRTS.

Ah I wasn't at knebworth, I'm only 20 so will never get to see the band live, which sucks but oh well.

In '77 the double neck was used for Sick Again as it followed TSRTS but at Knebworth Celebration Day directly followed TSRTS. Here you go, from the 4th/8/79:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXTFwfGE0Ak

Then on the next night for the encores he ditched the white dragon jacket and came back on witha black/ with sparkly stuff all over it- similar to the one at the beginning of The Song Remains the Same video.

That jacket was made for him by a fan, I remember reading something about it. She said she was at the show and she was gobsmacked when he came out wearing it for the encores. :D

they opened with TSRTS which slipped directly into celebration day with the double neck

oops......been covered.........nevermind :P

Edited by beetleron

That jacket was made for him by a fan, I remember reading something about it. She said she was at the show and she was gobsmacked when he came out wearing it for the encores. :D

And here is the jacket- only worn one time from what I can gather.

lz19770623_03.jpg