Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Does anyone know where the following two photos are from? I have seen these labeled as Tampa 5-5-73 but what John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page are wearing don't add up with other pics reported to be from this show-even Bonzo might be wearing a different shirt.

I have seen Jimmy change jackets etc and full outfits before but he is wearing jeans in these pics and in the others I have always associated as being the true Tampa pics- he is wearing white pants- posted below.

lz19730505_01.jpg

lz19730505_03.jpg

Photos that are almost for certain from Tampa 5-5-73

lz19730505_13.jpg

lz19730505_11.jpg

lz19730505_05.jpg

The Song Remains the Same

lz19730505_09.jpg

lz19730505_12.jpg

Does anyone know where the following two photos are from? I have seen these labeled as Tampa 5-5-73 but what John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page are wearing don't add up with other pics reported to be from this show-even Bonzo might be wearing a different shirt.

I have seen Jimmy change jackets etc and full outfits before but he is wearing jeans in these pics and in the others I have always associated as being the true Tampa pics- he is wearing white pants- posted below.

lz19730505_01.jpg

lz19730505_03.jpg

These photos were the source of much debate elsewhere on this board. If I recall correctly the bottom line was based on the position of the sun (I'm not kidding) in relation to the configuration of the stage these photos were taken during the afternoon soundcheck in Atlanta (1973).

When was this?

Possibly March 24, 1970 atop the Continental Hyatt House prior to that night's concert at The Forum, or the day after. Possibly September 3-6, same location, during the band's stay in Los Angeles. I am only speculating - I'm not certain.

Edited by SteveAJones

Los Angeles, August 1969.

Sam, as I understand it Lord Sutch approached Jimmy (among others) at a local club asking if he'd be interested in contributing to his album - later released as Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends and also featuring John Bonham - and believe it was recorded at Mystic Studios in Hollywood. Did Lord Sutch ever confirm those sessions were also held in August 1969?

These photos were the source of much debate elsewhere on this board. If I recall correctly the bottom line was based on the position of the sun (I'm not kidding) in relation to the configuration of the stage these photos were taken during the afternoon soundcheck in Atlanta (1973).

I think that makes sense as Page's hair is still fuller before he had the haircut for the MSG '73 shows filmed for the TSRTS movie.

And yes the sun was a deciding factor for me as well. I guess CSI is in use for unknown concert shots and not just cadavers. haha

Here are a few shots from the actual Atlanta show-opening night of the '73 US tour- May 4, 1973 at Fulton County Stadium-Atlanta, Georgia

778.jpg

The Song Remains the Same

777.jpg

Dazed and Confused

776.jpg

Any info on these pics would be greatly appreciated......thankyou.gif.

76114A.jpg

robertplant2003.jpg

I know i was oh so very tired when I posted these pics...but would greatly appreciate anyone helping me with these pics.I'm guessing the first little one is circa '75 or '76?. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been covered (don't think so), but - the Stonehenge stage set for Oakland, '77. It's really quite remarkable.

Was this done just for this show by Bill Graham? Or was this set-up used at other shows too? (without the Zeppelin above the stage)

Did Peter Grant know about it prior to the show? What's the story behind this, it looks like a gigantic effort was put into it

1663.jpg

Sorry if this has already been covered (don't think so), but - the Stonehenge stage set for Oakland, '77. It's really quite remarkable. Was this done just for this show by Bill Graham? Or was this set-up used at other shows too? (without the Zeppelin above the stage) Did Peter Grant know about it prior to the show? What's the story behind this, it looks like a gigantic effort was put into it

It was only used for the two Day on the Green festival dates in Oakland (July 23 & 24 1977). If I recall correctly the Zeppelin was mounted onto a mechanical arm which launched it above the backdrop as the band began their performance. Peter Grant certainly would have known about this stage set, but I believe it was put together by Bill Graham Productions. The Zeppelin used for the stage set is similar to the one on the promotional poster for these shows designed by Randy Tuten.

Tuten.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

What was the date on this one? I had March 22, 1970, which would put them in the US but why is the caption in French and why the sour face on Page?

I believe that photo is from Montreal in April 1970, where the majority of the population speaks French. Page is probably pissed off because his black beauty guitar is about to get stolen ;)

What was the date on this one? I had March 22, 1970, which would put them in the US but why is the caption in French and why the sour face on Page?

The photo was taken April 13, 1970 and later published in The Gazette, Montreal's daily newspaper. According to the April 18, 1970 issue of The Gazette on April1 3th the band departed Minneapolis for Montreal at 6am. They had a layover in Milwaukee

and then another in Toronto where processing through Canadien customs delayed them for hours before finally arriving in

Montreal. It's my understanding the photo was taken while they were delayed in Toronto but I could be mistaken on that.

The man top row 3rd from the right looks like Jimmy to me

group_nme_june70.jpg

I believe that's Peter Hammill 3rd from the right...singer for Van Der Graaf Generator.

Can also spot Guy Evans from VDGG,

+ Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Anthony Phillips and Tony Banks from Genesis.

very cool photo.

Edited by the chase

• 3 weeks later...

tumblr_lkxm9aj1ms1qckyxi.jpg

Found this picture today. I believe the one at the right is Robert (it was among a photo gallery of his). Looks like a video still. Anyone has more info/where can I find it?

tumblr_lkxm9aj1ms1qckyxi.jpg

Found this picture today. I believe the one at the right is Robert (it was among a photo gallery of his). Looks like a video still. Anyone has more info/where can I find it?

It's the first filming for TSRTS with Maureen instead of the blonde - Robert's fantasy sequence ;) x

His face is explained by the caption, which says Jimmy and his girlfriend are waiting patiently for their bags. They're at baggage claim, and that's the face I usually have in those places! :D