Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

This photo (thank you AEN) was taken at one of the benefit/fund-raising concerts that Warren Beatty held to support George McGovern's 1972 campaign. According to what I could find out about it, the concert was held on June 14 - the same day that we saw LZ perform out on Long Island. Was this McGovern concert held during the day, before the LZ concert? Does anyone know more about how Jimmy and Robert came to attend this McGovern benefit concert? Did Eddie Kramer invite them? I was (embarrassing to admit it now) not very politically aware then so this photo and the fact that Robert and Jimmy (in sunglasses - did he not want to be recognized in the crowd?) attended is news to me. I remember my friends and I waited for a long time at the guys' hotel, the EL Studios, and then at the Coliseum so we could see LZ come and go - all that time, having no idea that they had attended a McGovern benefit.

LZMcGovernRallyMSG1972.jpg

This photo (thank you AEN) was taken at one of the benefit/fund-raising concerts that Warren Beatty held to support George McGovern's 1972 campaign. According to what I could find out about it, the concert was held on June 14 - the same day that we saw LZ perform out on Long Island. Was this McGovern concert held during the day, before the LZ concert? Does anyone know more about how Jimmy and Robert came to attend this McGovern benefit concert? Did Eddie Kramer invite them? I was (embarrassing to admit it now) not very politically aware then so this photo and the fact that Robert and Jimmy (in sunglasses - did he not want to be recognized in the crowd?) attended is news to me. I remember my friends and I waited for a long time at the guys' hotel, the EL Studios, and then at the Coliseum so we could see LZ come and go - all that time, having no idea that they had attended a McGovern benefit.

The fifth show organized by actor Warren Beatty for presidential candidate George McGovern is held at Madison Square Garden. Beatty coaxes several defunct acts to runite: Simon and Garfunkel, Peter, Paul and Mary and the comedy duo of Mike Nichols and Elaine May. A crowd of 18,000 attends, raising several hundred thousand dollars for the McGovern campaign.

What makes you believe there's be a video of this?

Deffinetly sometime in '69...

Your right, you can tell because Jimmy's wearing that leather jacket and necktimes.

I thought maybe that the New York Singer's Bowl might have been filmed like most other big concerts

act.

August 30, 1969

http://www.ledzeppel.../august-30-1969

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

The fifth show organized by actor Warren Beatty for presidential candidate George McGovern is held at Madison Square Garden. Beatty coaxes several defunct acts to runite: Simon and Garfunkel, Peter, Paul and Mary and the comedy duo of Mike Nichols and Elaine May. A crowd of 18,000 attends, raising several hundred thousand dollars for the McGovern campaign.

Yes, I saw that as well as a poster of the event, a letter Warren Beatty sent to prospective supporters on behalf of McGovern, and some photos of various celebrities with Beatty and McGovern, but nothing more about Robert or Jimmy. For those of us who attended the LZ concert out on L.I. that night, it seems so surreal to imagine now that shortly before taking the stage and opening with a blistering version of IS at the Coliseum, the guys were sitting sedately at the Garden, listening to Simon and Garfunkel.

Your right, you can tell because Jimmy's wearing that leather jacket and necktimes.

I thought maybe that the New York Singer's Bowl might have been filmed like most other big concerts

act.

August 30, 1969

act.

August 30, 1969

Maybe it was filmed on 8mm, but I doubt it. There isn't any filmers seen in the photos provided on the LZ site.

That is from the 1977 US tour- Jimmy wore that skeleton/guitar necklace alot on the 2nd leg of the tour. You can also barely see the white dragon top under the red robe(John Bonham wore one of those robes in the Seattle 7-17-77 video) but I don't know the precise date of the photo.

Here is a bigger version of the pic.

red.jpg

hi David - can you repost the bigger image of the 1977 Page photo?

is he being kicked out of a club or something?

Or just to drunk to stand..

here's another

jesus christ.... compare the man in my profile picture and the one in this picture

I can't tell if it's from the same night, late 1983 (I think) but I had posted some photos here before that my friend took of Jimmy in a club from that same era, in a similar condition. I took the photos down from here out of respect for Jimmy. My friends and I have seen photos of Jimmy when he was in even a worse state but none of us will post them here now. In your first photo he wasn't being kicked out in the photo you posted - those were his minders, helping him out. As far as the second photo, that's the toll that substance abuse takes on someone (and we never would have dreamed it would ever come to that with him)...thankfully he survived and looks great today.

They're both from the same night with his tour manager of the time Phil Carlo. Weren't we recently trying to establish a date for these? Thanks for that Steve. I had guessed on them being at Robert's Hammersmith Odeon show of Dec 83 so I got the month right :)

They're both from the same night with his tour manager of the time Phil Carlo. Weren't we recently trying to establish a date for these? Thanks for that Steve. I had guessed on them being at Robert's Hammersmith Odeon show of Dec 83 so I got the month right :)

I will reconfirm just to be sure but aside from some of them having been taken by Steve Granitz, an L.A.-based photog, and the jacket matching the one worn by Jimmy's on the airplane wing at LAX I have several other shots from this night and as I recall the interior matches that of the Rainbow Bar & Grill. It also seems to me the automobile behind them probably would not face the way it does - to the right - alongside a UK curb, for that would put it against the flow of traffic.