Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Some more info....

The money shot, signing the contract:

1968_ny_2.jpg

Apparently, Peter Grant & Mickie Most were in NY to also take care of some business with their other acts (JBG, Donovan, Terry Reid). There's a reference to a party/gathering at the Waldorf on Oct. 21st, with Grant and Mickie Most (no mention of JP yet). Beck's tour schedule indicates returning to NY, from Toronto on October 28th, remaining there until the 31st, off to Detroit for three shows.

I don't think the exact date of the contract signing is known yet, but that's where these photos seem to originate (late October/early Nov). It's interesting that Beck seems to have been there for it.

:coffee:

How cool is that! Awesome find Sam :)

Some more info....

1968_ny_2.jpg

Apparently, Peter Grant & Mickie Most were in NY to also take care of some business with their other acts (JBG, Donovan, Terry Reid). There's a reference to a party/gathering at the Waldorf on Oct. 21st, with Grant and Mickie Most (no mention of JP yet). Beck's tour schedule indicates returning to NY, from Toronto on October 28th, remaining there until the 31st, off to Detroit for three shows.

I don't think the exact date of the contract signing is known yet, but that's where these photos seem to originate (late October/early Nov). It's interesting that Beck seems to have been there for it.

Oct 28th - 31st 1968 does seem to be the most likely time frame. As I understand it Peter Grant travelled to the U.S. without Page, bringing the masters to Jerry Wexler at Atlantic. If correct that would seem to put Peter in New York without Page when he attended the party on Oct 21st. Still looking into if Peter attended the UK gigs on Oct 25th & 26th but certainly thereafter Jimmy would have been free to travel to New York for the signing.

42662926802158993277810.jpg

Eric T. Schabacker was born in Buffalo , New York where he lived until moving to Orlando , Florida , to attend college. While still in Buffalo , he was lured to the art of recording by its technical aspects and, before graduating from high school, had four albums credited to his name as both producer and engineer. During this time he also developed an interest in playing the guitar and writing his own songs. By the time he was mid way through his college years in Florida , Eric was recording his newly formed band and original material.

It was during this same time that Eric formed two record labels: Tener and Hype Records. Over the years that followed, multiple artists from throughout the United States were released on these labels and, as a natural out growth of the labels, he founded two additional companies: Bee Jay Booking Agency and Bee Jay Recording Studios. The booking agency was eventually sold after becoming the largest agency of its type in Florida and is still in business today operating as the J. Bird Agency. Bee Jay Recording Studios continued until the mid eighties when it too was sold.

Other mileposts in Eric's career include the establishment of ASCAP, SESAC and BMI publishing houses as well as the formation of The Southern Recording Association and a concert promotion business. He also hosted two radio shows: "The Alternative" and "Artists Alive" which were syndicated on more than 125 U.S. radio stations.

In 1994 Eric moved to the Ozark Mountains in Northwest Arkansas . There he started Winterwood Recording Studios and began recording national and regional acts. The studio is perched on a mountainside overlooking Beaver Lake which also makes it a perfect site for the bed and breakfast that he and his wife, Sativa, operate. Winterwood Lakeside Cottage is open to reservations from the public and serves as a comfortable living environment for the studio's artists as well.

In addition to his daily studio activities, Eric continues to write and is a vibrant part of the Nashville writing community. Multi awards from the John Lennon, Billboard and Unasong song contests currently adorn the walls of his home and studio.

http://winterwoodstudios.com/erictschabacker.html

----

Bee Jay Recording Studios was located in Orlando, Florida. Do you think Page visited him when the Yardbirds were in Florida in 1967 or 1968?

Bee Jay Recording Studios was located in Orlando, Florida. Do you think Page visited him when the Yardbirds were in Florida in 1967 or 1968?

The Yardbirds did perform at the Orlando Coliseum sometime between Oct 6th - Nov 3rd 1967 (most of the dates on this tour remain unconfirmed). Jimmy does not seem to have had time to do so in Apr '68 as they opened the tour with multiple nights in Miami before moving on to Boston.

The Yardbirds did perform at the Orlando Coliseum sometime between Oct 6th - Nov 3rd 1967 (most of the dates on this tour remain unconfirmed). Jimmy does not seem to have had time to do so in Apr '68 as they opened the tour with multiple nights in Miami before moving on to Boston.

And logically speaking, they did also play in Cocoa Beach and Melbourne, Florida on October 14, 1967, so meeting Mr. Schabacker at either performance and getting invited 1/2 hour away to the recording studio in Orlando sounds better than flying from Miami (in 1968) up to Orlando for this meeting.

post-1879-0-04885900-1328401524.jpg

Some more info....

1968_ny_2.jpg

Beautiful photos. Turning points in the history of rock.

Thank you for the additional info (including the press release on your timeline) for the photo you've unearthed, Sam. Now I can finally put a time (late November) to the blurb about the signing deal that I had clipped from RS but had marked only as "1968."

http://www.ledzeppel...ovember-23-1968

post-1879-0-04885900-1328401524.jpgSteve,

Would you have any info on this photo? Thanks

...In addition to this Photo, here is a set of Jeff Beck Photos, in same Jean Jacket, pictured above. The photos are conflicting as to where exactly, Philly? or Chateau Mormont?

Jeff Beck Photos on Tour '68

http://www.myspace.c...%22%3A50724089}

http://www.fotobaron...-group/68491-7a

another Link of Led Zeppelin Signing....

Atlantic had given away a small chunk of the farm to Led Zeppelin. Peter Grant went back to the Plaza Hotel and called Jimmy to come to New York to sign the deal.

Then, perhaps with joy in their hearts, Grant and Weiss called on Clive Davis, then president of Columbia Records, whose Epic subsidiary had the rights for the Yardbirds (and Jeff Beck) in America. Jimmy of course felt that Epic was an inept and exploitative label, while Clive Davis had considered the Yardbirds one of his pet projects and was confident that Jimmy Page's new band - the word on the street was they were hot - would be on Epic. It was the first time Peter and Clive Davis had met, and they talked friendly music gossip until Davis finally said, "Well, aren't we going to talk about Jimmy Page?" And Grant said, "Oh no, we've already signed the Zeppelin to Atlantic."

Source Link:

http://www.angelfire...lin/facts6.html

...apologies as this information is perhaps known already to the experts already....

Edited by PlanetPage

Mysterious Mississippi River boat party, New Orleans, 1975

photos at right taken from the R. Cole's book

about most of the party Richard didn't wrote nothing - even no date

Photo left - picked up from net, I guess it's wrong dated by 1974 as on a subject very similar to the same boat party

(Interesting, that they didn't play in their beloved New Orleans on the Tour '75.....I wonder what was the reason?)

Any info

When this happened, in honor of what and who else was there ?

Tnx,

LM

BoatRiver.jpg

Edited by Ledy Mazeppa

Mysterious Mississippi River boat party, New Orleans, 1975

photos at right taken from the R. Cole's book

about most of the party Richard didn't wrote nothing - even no date

Photo left - picked up from net, I guess it's wrong dated by 1974 as on a subject very similar to the same boat party

(Interesting, that they didn't play in their beloved New Orleans on the Tour '75.....I wonder what was the reason?)

Any info

When this happened, in honor of what and who else was there ?

I show the band cavorted in New Orleans for a few days prior to the tour opening in Dallas. They played Baton Rogue.

After a bit of research I think I've nailed it down to October 31 1968.

Jeff Beck played a benefit gig for the children in Biafra at the Fillmore East on the 31 October 1968. I believe PG was managing the JBG at the time? Regardless, Jimmy and Jeff were old mates who probably wanted to catch up (I wonder if it was this occasion that Beck first heard LZ1 and their version of 'You Shook Me'??)

And the 'mystery man' in the middle I believe is Steve Weiss, Led Zeppelin's US attorney.

Also if you look at the official timeline, there is a gap inbetween gigs from October 25 to November 9, 1968, hence Jimmy's presence.

....another report from Billboard Magazine archive Edition dated November 30, 1968......

http://books.google.ca/books?id=G0UEAAAAMBAJ&q=Led+Zeppelin#v=snippet&q=Led%20Zeppelin&f=false

http://books.google.ca/books?id=G0UEAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1

• 2 weeks later...

R.E Photographs on Steve A. Jones page, 20/02/2010.

I shot those photographs and own the copyright, many of this photos shot at Paul's Johns home were stolen along with many more images of Zeppelin bye CIRCUS magazine in the early 70's. Anyone who can chase these photographs, I will reward them with 3 signed photographs of Robert Plant on his Farm.

I shot those photographs and own the copyright, many of this photos shot at Paul's Johns home were stolen along with many more images of Zeppelin bye CIRCUS magazine in the early 70's. Anyone who can chase these photographs, I will reward them with 3 signed photographs of Robert Plant on his Farm.

Hey Michael I have your photobook, sorry to hear about those pics being stolen, happened to me too on a much smaller scale and it sucks - good luck with your chase.

I shot those photographs and own the copyright. many of the photos shot at John Paul Jones' home were stolen along with many more images of Zeppelin by CIRCUS magazine in the early 70's. Anyone who can chase these photographs, I will reward them with 3 signed photographs of Robert Plant on his Farm.

I believe you are referring to the Jones family photos taken at Straw Hat in Rickmansworth shown in post #49 in this thread? I have not seen the original negatives nor vintage prints in circulation but will keep an eye out for them.

Knebby mentioned Michael Randolph's photo book ROBERT PLANT OF LED ZEPPELIN: THROUGH THE MIRROR. Published in 1993, it was strictly limited to 1,500 copies signed by the photographer and packaged in a deluxe, full-color cardboard box. Essential as it contains numerous unpublished candid shots of Robert relaxing at home (Jennings Farm) with his family (wife and daughter) in the early days of Zep. I too feel privileged to own one.

this photo has been always curious for me.

that's exactly New Orleans '77, but they were not there with tour date,

so, unclear, or they flew in during the tour just to relax ,

or that photo shortly before the call from Robert's wife about the unfortunate situation with his son....?

D.Lewis just mentioned that "Robert 26 July 77 flew to New Orleans in preparation for their 30 July show at the Superdome " (nothing wrote about the rest of the band, so unclear where they were?), "... then a call was flashed..."

I guess they gathered together in New Orleans ~ 27-28 July, and call was a bit later...

And then it turns out that this photo was shot shortly before the terrible news (?)

As well it could be the last shot of the band in Tour '77 and in '77 at all?

Any info/ idea/ suggestion?

Tnx

LM

5.jpg

Edited by Ledy Mazeppa