Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Going from memory, I believe it's Lionel Bart and that they are standing outside the Plaza Hotel in New York (February 1975).

Thank you. I think you're right, Steve, now that I remember pictures of him from Richard's wedding. Jimmy's jacket also conincides with the party over Madison Square Garden that you have clippings from on facebook. I think it may this same day.

Edited by aen27

Thank you. I think you're right, Steve, now that I remember pictures of him from Richard's wedding. Jimmy's jacket also conincides with the party over Madison Square Garden that you have clippings from on facebook. I think it may this same day.

I've had a chance to check my files and yes, Jimmy did wear that same jacket to the after-show reception hosted by Atlantic Records at the Penn Plaza Club on February 3, 1975. Other attendees included Andy Warhol, Keith Moon, Joe Walsh, William Burroughs and Amanda Lear.

This recent photo of the Plaza Hotel shows there is a match to the light post in the 1975 photo:

PlazaHotel_zps8f759839.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

I've had a chance to check my files and yes, Jimmy did wear that same jacket to the after-show reception hosted by Atlantic Records at the Penn Plaza Club on February 3, 1975. Other attendees included Andy Warhol, Keith Moon, Joe Walsh, William Burroughs and Amanda Lear.

This recent photo of the Plaza Hotel shows there is a match to the light post in the 1975 photo:

PlazaHotel_zps8f759839.jpg

Thank you for posting this.

For what it's worth the shirt Jimmy is holding was not worn onstage on February 3, 1975, but was worn onstage for other dates that week. If I had to guess I'd say they're waiting for the limos to arrive prior to a show that week.

Edited by SteveAJones

For what it's worth the shirt Jimmy is holding was not worn onstage on February 3, 1975, but was worn onstage for other dates that week. If I had to guess I'd say they're waiting for the limos to arrive prior to a show that week.

Its worth something to me. Thank you as always.

Does anyone know who this is with Jimmy? It does look like 1975.

384534_3041441517684_53980103_n_zpsbdef6

...I will add small detail to SAJ's magnificient knowledge...the '75 U.S. Tour in Minneapolis was commenced in this Western Stripe Shirt Jimmy is holding...I could only find a small photo of Led Zeppelin Live shot , Minneapolis Met Centre...

Original Link/Photo..

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17877-starship-1975/page-4

...I will add small detail to SAJ's magnificient knowledge...the '75 U.S. Tour in Minneapolis was commenced in this Western Stripe Shirt Jimmy is holding...I could only find a small photo of Led Zeppelin Live shot , Minneapolis Met Centre...

Original Link/Photo..

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17877-starship-1975/page-4

That is correct Planet Page, however Led Zeppelin was staying at the Ambassador East Hotel in Chicago for that date. Led Zeppelin did not check into the Plaza Hotel in New York until January 29th 1975, where they remained for all of their concerts thru February 16th 1975.

Where's he going, the dry cleaner? I wouldn't have thought he'd have been having to lug his own costumes around by this stage in the game... come to think of it, you never see reference to the band having anyone who was designated "wardrobe mistress / master" or anything similar... would there ever have been anyone in particular who was in charge of stage-costume (and off-stage wear) cleaning, maintenance, repair etc? (I'm reading Lisa Robinson's book at the moment and she makes reference to what a headache laundry was on long tours).

Did he wear that shirt a hell of a lot (like, whenever it wasn't a dragon suit) in '75, or is it just that there are a disproportionate number of photos?

Edited by scylla

Where's he going, the dry cleaner? I wouldn't have thought he'd have been having to lug his own costumes around by this stage in the game... come to think of it, you never see reference to the band having anyone who was designated "wardrobe mistress / master" or anything similar... would there ever have been anyone in particular who was in charge of stage-costume (and off-stage wear) cleaning, maintenance, repair etc? (I'm reading Lisa Robinson's book at the moment and she makes reference to what a headache laundry was on long tours).

Did he wear that shirt a hell of a lot (like, whenever it wasn't a dragon suit) in '75, or is it just that there are a disproportionate number of photos?

He did wear the shirt he is holding several times during that tour. I've seen at least one photo of Robert wearing it as well. I believe the Plaza Hotel offered on-site dry cleaning so he may have picked it up on the way to the limo. An excellent thread on the maintenance of the tour wardrobe can be found here:

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17273

He did wear the shirt he is holding several times during that tour. I've seen at least one photo of Robert wearing it as well. I believe the Plaza Hotel offered on-site dry cleaning so he may have picked it up on the way to the limo. An excellent thread on the maintenance of the tour wardrobe can be found here:

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17273

My God, you really do know everything. Cheers! (I was being kind of facetious with the dry-cleaning remark, but that makes sense). Amazed to hear they were sharing clothes...

Which raises another question - anyone know the time / place of the photo at the top left of the thread, or have it in jpeg format (it's a gif) / a better resolution?

Does anyone know if there is any such thing as:

a.) Pics from the show of 18th January 1975;

b.) Pics from 12th March 1975 that aren't hopelessly fuzzy?

Also, which of these sets of pics shows the 12th February 1975? (The timeline on this site shows them all for that date, but the outfits are different. (Or was there a costume change during the show? Did they ever do that?)

Assuming not, is it these:

nine_zpsa00ea5e1.jpg

eight_zps44cf58f4.jpg

seven_zps4169f208.jpg

four_zpse196dccc.jpg

two_zps1306e757.jpg

one_zps9ec29226.jpg

Or these?

five_zps2ea5d158.jpg

three_zpsc0b3d8b9.jpg

ten_zps30d80dc5.jpg

six_zpsc8416ddb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've since come to find out it's actually Orly Airport in Paris, not Montreal. See post #588 of this thread:

">http://jimmypage1970Montreal_zps7bf6a733.jpg

SAJ, and Fans, I very sincerely indebted to Legendary Photographer Christian Rose from Paris, who has confirmed these much cherrished photos of our Beloved Icon...here is his response this morning on eve of Evening in Paris...

"The two pictures were taken on the 19 June 1969 at Orly Airport .Page weared a jacket and a coat . The Home Ideal Magazine he hold was a joke , he had no interest in inside decoration . We try to ask to Page who is the guy beside him wednesday at the press conference."

(I have the back up confirmation)

...So, this is the reason for two different set of Paris Photographs. These two are from June 19, 1969 Paris Led Zeppelin Timeline..

http://www.christian-rose-photo.com/

">http://Montreal1970Mystery_zpsfbc0c41a.jpg

Courtesy: Christian Rose Photography, Paris...

">http://http://s642.photobucket.com/user/planetPage_bucket/media/ParisarrivalLZelevator_zpsdc700b33.jpg.html'>ParisarrivalLZelevator_zpsdc700b33.jpg

From Christian Rose...

"At that time I was a freelance photographer working for BARCLAY records . I was with the BARCLAY staff , the guy in the stairs with the striped t -shirt is Philippe RAULT "

SAJ, and Fans, I very sincerely indebted to Legendary Photographer Christian Rose from Paris, who has confirmed these much cherrished photos of our Beloved Icon...here is his response this morning on eve of Evening in Paris...

"The two pictures were taken on the 19 June 1969 at Orly Airport .Page weared a jacket and a coat . The Home Ideal Magazine he hold was a joke , he had no interest in inside decoration . We try to ask to Page who is the guy beside him wednesday at the press conference."

(I have the back up confirmation)

...So, this is the reason for two different set of Paris Photographs. These two are from June 19, 1969 Paris Led Zeppelin Timeline..

http://www.christian-rose-photo.com/

:bravo:

Every now and then this forum reaches it's full potential, and how appropriate that it do so today. Collaboration is the key!

:bravo:

Every now and then this forum reaches it's full potential, and how appropriate that it do so today. Collaboration is the key!

...SAJ, it is truly special to see all the fans gather together to celebrate with Jimmy his music, his passion,his legacy...it is rare that such incomparable artist, comes along and graces this world..it happens once in a while...not all the time..I feel fortunate that it happened in my lifetime...he contributed much to my life for what I understood to be...

Edited by PlanetPage

Also, which of these sets of pics shows the 12th February 1975? (The timeline on this site shows them all for that date, but the outfits are different. (Or was there a costume change during the show? Did they ever do that?)

five_zps2ea5d158.jpg

three_zpsc0b3d8b9.jpg

ten_zps30d80dc5.jpg

six_zpsc8416ddb.jpg

Scylla,

The 4 pictures above are the photos that feature the clothing that was worn on 12th February 1975.

(So only the last 4 pics from your original post on 6th May 2014).

The 4 pictures above are the photos that feature the clothing that was worn on 12th February 1975.

Excellent! This has just helped me to confirm over 40 additional photo prints I have from the same photographer/show.

Edited by SteveAJones

Scylla,

(So only the last 4 pics from your original post on 6th May 2014).

Awesome, thanks!

I recently started trying to collect photos from every show, and quickly discovered that:

a.) It can't be done (for quite a few shows, they just don't exist)

and

b.) The timeline section on this forum is rubbish - it very frequently has two or even three sets of photos (i.e. you can tell because of the different outfits) attributed to one date, and sometimes the same photo under two or three different dates. http://www.ledzeppelin-reference.com and http://www.ledzepconcerts.com are way more reliable.

The timeline section on this forum is rubbish - it very frequently has two or even three sets of photos (i.e. you can tell because of the different outfits) attributed to one date, and sometimes the same photo under two or three different dates.

Kindly submit input/corrections to the webmaster when/if you encounter discrepancies. It could be that in some instances timeline photos are presented in a "on this tour" format as opposed to "on this day" format. Pinpointing with accuracy the date & location a photo was taken 30 to 40 years after the shutter clicked can be a daunting task as this thread attests.

Does anyone know who this is with Jimmy? It does look like 1975.

384534_3041441517684_53980103_n_zpsbdef6

I realize that I am probably going to be wrong in what I say, but this looks like it could be a Capo (or Soldier) of any one of the 5 New York "Families".

Edited to add: Is that a Coca-Cola can or a Budweiser can that Pagey is holding?

Edited by kingzoso

I realize that I am probably going to be wrong in what I say, but this looks like it could be a Capo (or Soldier) of any one of the 5 New York "Families".

Edited to add: Is that a Coca-Cola can or a Budweiser can that Pagey is holding?

As I posted earlier, it's Lionel Bart....and that's a Coke.

As I posted earlier, it's Lionel Bart....and that's a Coke.

That is Cool with Me. I am no Expert but I believe you and I will take Your word for it. (Although I would like to think it would be very interesting if that was an actual "Goodfella" accompanying Mr. Page on a night on the Town. I am sure Bonzo would have liked that as well. For the excitement, thrill, woman and drugs that Costa Nostra was known for, especially in NYC).

Costa Nostra means "Our Thing" in English.

Edited by kingzoso