Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Apologies if this one's been done

Always thought this was Jimmy, turns out it's mitch Mitchell, is this correct anyone?

It's Mitch Mitchell or Noel Redding...don't remember which. This damn picture is the bane of my existence....it is NOT Jimmy Page.

Edited by SteveAJones

I know what you mean, Steve Jones. If I never see that photo again the world will be a better place for me. I think I could post a photo of just about any dark-haired kid and label it Jimmy Page and it would be believed, because people just don't engage many brain cells any more.

Try this:

NOTJimmyPage_IsMitchMitchell2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Two things:

Firstly, does anyone know anything about the time / place / circumstances of the pics below:

blackboard_zpsfde5d141.jpg

blackboard2_zps4a6b15f5.jpg

WRzxr_zps59868afc.jpg

(Either one; I assume they're not from the same occasion as Robert's outfit is different and the board is too). I get that the first one is a Swan Song promo shot, but is there any particular reason for the location and the blackboard etc? Or did someone just randomly go, "I know, let's photograph the band in a classroom and have children write their name all over a blackboard - that'll look cool!"? Are there any other pics from either session?

Second thing: is it known whether Jimmy's amazing music room, as seen in It Might Get Loud, is in the Tower House or the country residence? Are there any other pics (apart from It Might Get Loud captures) or interviews done there?

ItMightGetLoud_b_zps8de231f3.jpg

Scylla,

These photos are awesome. Particularly the top one of the band standing together and the one of Plant standing alone in front of the blackboard.

Cool, aren't they? I think I just saw them on some tumblr or something with no explanation of the background, so I'm keen to see if someone on here can enlighten us...

Scylla, I believe that scene is at Dreanary. It looks to be too modern looking to be Tower House. I have also heard he uses both residences equally.

Thanks! That was my guess - if it was the Tower House I presume it'd have to be in the basement (because of all the listed interiors and whatnot), and it looks too bright and sunny for a basement. It must be a headache to be a music lover with a vast collection who has two houses and doesn't do downloads...maybe he has duplicates of his favourite records. Still, I'd hate to be without any of my records (or books), any of the time. The frightful privations of the rich. Still really jealous of that room, though...

Two things:

Firstly, does anyone know anything about the time / place / circumstances of the pics below:

blackboard_zpsfde5d141.jpg

blackboard2_zps4a6b15f5.jpg

WRzxr_zps59868afc.jpg

(Either one; I assume they're not from the same occasion as Robert's outfit is different and the board is too). I get that the first one is a Swan Song promo shot, but is there any particular reason for the location and the blackboard etc? Or did someone just randomly go, "I know, let's photograph the band in a classroom and have children write their name all over a blackboard - that'll look cool!"? Are there any other pics from either session?

Tampa Stadium, June 3, 1977, Photo Credit: Terry O'Neill

The first two photographs were taken pre-show, probably in one of the two locker rooms (venues normally allowed performers use of the visiting team's locker room). In one of the blackboard photos, Jason Bonham is on the left and Warren Grant (Peter Grant's son) is on the right. Earlier in the day Robert, Maureen, Carmen and Karac Plant accompanied JPJ, his wife Mo and their three daughters for a day of fun at Disney World in Orlando Florida. I'm unsure if Jason & Warren had also gone along with them. At any rate, this concert was infamously halted after approximately 45 minutes on account of a torrential downpour.

In the third photo you posted, Robert Plant is shown drawing on a blackboard. It's clearly from a different date and venue, but undoubtedly under similar circumstances (in a stadium locker room prior to that night's concert). I can attempt to match it to other photos in due course.

Edited by SteveAJones

Thanks! That was my guess - if it was the Tower House I presume it'd have to be in the basement (because of all the listed interiors and whatnot), and it looks too bright and sunny for a basement. It must be a headache to be a music lover with a vast collection who has two houses and doesn't do downloads...maybe he has duplicates of his favourite records. Still, I'd hate to be without any of my records (or books), any of the time. The frightful privations of the rich. Still really jealous of that room, though...

Definitely not the Tower House or it's basement. As a by the way, this was filmed in the Tower House:

The interior wood work of the music room compliments the interior wood work found in this room. You may recall Jimmy moved from the Old Mill House in Berkshire to his current residence near the Thames about this time; I imagine the concept of this piece is both "moving in" as well as "moving on":

Jimmy's segment with Jack White and The Edge was filmed January 23, 2008 at Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, CA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8puk3kImA

Definitely not the Tower House or it's basement. As a by the way, this was filmed in the Tower House:

I had no idea any film from inside the Tower House existed - thanks so much (and for the answer above re. the blackboards)!

That's about the fifth clip I've seen where he makes the crack about guitars and alimony...

The interior wood work of the music room compliments the interior wood work found in this room. You may recall Jimmy moved from the Old Mill House in Berkshire to his current residence near the Thames about this time; I imagine the concept of this piece is both "moving in" as well as "moving on":

Open to correction but I believe I read that this sequence was filmed in a building overlooking Buckingham Palace Gardens - not in either of Page's homes.

Open to correction but I believe I read that this sequence was filmed in a building overlooking Buckingham Palace Gardens - not in either of Page's homes.

I agree. This is not of his homes.

Steve, Jimmy mentions about moving house in his interview in the 2005 DVD of Hard Rock Treasures. Is that when he moved to Dreanary? I was wondering if it was when he sold Old Mill House or Boleskine. Or maybe it was the house he had with Jimena, which name I can't think of at the moment.

I agree. This is not of his homes.

Steve, Jimmy mentions about moving house in his interview in the 2005 DVD of Hard Rock Treasures. Is that when he moved to Dreanary? I was wondering if it was when he sold Old Mill House or Boleskine. Or maybe it was the house he had with Jimena, which name I can't think of at the moment.

I believe the Deanery Garden was bought in 2008. There was at least one house in between the Old Mill House and the Deanery, which was Fen Place Mill; someone posted the estate agent's particulars on this site when it was up for sale I think.

I seem to remember someone on the site saying Boleskine was sold as far back as 1991 or 1992; but 2005 would be about right for the sale of the Old Mill House, I think.

Edited by scylla

If I'm understanding SAJ correctly, I think he's only saying that the first video was shot in Jimmy's home, not the second.

Not sure I quite take the point about the woodwork though - could you clarify, Steve? You mean that what little woodwork can be seen in the first video is in a similar style to what's in the Deanery (or whatever house the music room is in)? I'm not quite following the reference to the theme of Jimmy's instrumental piece either - you mean that's the kind of feeling it evokes for you, or did he say so? (Apologies if this is all explained in It Might Get Loud - it's a long time since I saw it and I must have forgotten).

I believe the Deanery Garden was bought in 2008. There was at least one house in between the Old Mill House and the Deanery, which was Fen Place Mill; someone posted the estate agent's particulars on this site when it was up for sale I think.

I seem to remember someone on the site saying Boleskine was sold as far back as 1991 or 1992; but 2005 would be about right for the sale of the Old Mill House, I think.

Fen Place Mill was the house he shared with Jimena. I knew it was 3 words but could not remember the name. (Thank you. :)) That may have been the house unless it was Old Mill House. He offically split up with Jimena in 2006? The DVD is 2005 and he still has black hair. Edited by aen27

Open to correction but I believe I read that this sequence was filmed in a building overlooking Buckingham Palace Gardens.

Really? Very interesting. This is a source of deep vexation for me now. I need to get this nailed down (as well as the recording date).

This is from director Davis Guggenheim:

I’d be in London for a week with Jimmy Page and then go home and edit what I had. It was a personal process. We were kind of making a movie together. Like, I’d say to Jimmy, hey, what if we filmed you playing records at your house? So Jimmy brought us into his house and did just that.

Steve, Jimmy mentions about moving house in his interview in the 2005 DVD of Hard Rock Treasures. Is that when he moved to Deanary? I was wondering if it was when he sold Old Mill House or Boleskine. Or maybe it was the house he had with Jimena, which name I can't think of at the moment.

The interview for the Hard Rock Treasures dvd was recorded in February 2005 so I believe he is referring to moving into the Deanery.

He can't be referring to the sale of Boleskine House as that was reported in UK press way back in February 1992.

I have a photograph of Jimmy at Fen Place Mill that was taken by Ross Halfin in 1993 for a Gibson Guitars advertisement so it can't be that home. He did put Fen Place Mill on the market two years after this interview was conducted. Then, you may recall he also put an enormous tapestry - The Attainment - up for auction in Spring 2008 which coincided with selling Old Mill House (in Clewer, Berkshire) for

a second time. However, the tapestry did not sell and remained in his collection.

I will double-check the accuracy of my recollections and edit this post if a discrepancy is found.

Public sightings of Jimmy in Sonning precede 2008.

In May 2007 it was reported the Jimmy was selling the eight-bedroom Fen Place Mill near East Grinstead for 2.8 million pounds GBP.

Here's an estate agent's listing for Fen Mill Place: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-7611450.html

In February 1992 it was reported that Jimmy had sold Boleskine House for 2.5 million pounds GBP.

If I'm understanding SAJ correctly, I think he's only saying that the first video was shot in Jimmy's home, not the second.

Not sure I quite take the point about the woodwork though - could you clarify, Steve? You mean that what little woodwork can be seen in the first video is in a similar style to what's in the Deanery (or whatever house the music room is in)? I'm not quite following the reference to the theme of Jimmy's instrumental piece either - you mean that's the kind of feeling it evokes for you, or did he say so? (Apologies if this is all explained in It Might Get Loud - it's a long time since I saw it and I must have forgotten).

The music room segment is absolutely filmed in Jimmy's home, either the Tower House in Kensington or The Deanery in Sonning. The white shelving looks like a modern custom install so it really isn't clear to me which home was used.

I'll probably do a poor job of explaining my thoughts here, but speaking only for myself here goes: The music room segment shows he's still keenly interested in and inspired by music, and the great hall segment compliments that by presenting him still performing music. On an evocative level, both the music room and great hall interiors being predominantly white symbolize purity of artistic vision. The music room symbolizes day/youth and the great hall night/aged. So - again speaking only for myself - there's a balance (yin/yang) presented here and

thus it is easy for me (and perhaps many casual viewers) to imagine he's being presented strumming his acoustic guitar at home (though as a point of fact that is not the case).

Public sightings of Jimmy in Sonning precede 2008.

Ah, so I see:

http://www.josaka.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14049

http://www.nwra.com/resumes/baldwin/personal.php

Also, have now found that my original question was answered over four years ago (before I was a member on here) - a forum member's father has actually been in the music room, and confirms it's Sonning:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/12964-jimmys-music-room/?hl=deanery

Now I'm wondering if Jimmy built the huge extension or if it predates him... he could have built his ideal music room from scratch, lucky bugger. And a James Bondesque vault for guitars, with reinforced walls four feet thick...

Edited by scylla

While we're on the subject of the music room Steve, what is that LZ collectible? I'm assuming it has to do with LZ III.

That's a rare, highly coveted Led Zeppelin bootleg called The Can. It's 10 LPs pressed on colored vinyl with a booklet packaged in a 14 inch grey enameled 16mm film can with a title sticker and strictly limited to 300 individually numbered copies. They've sold for $600.00.

TheCan_zps9189c008.jpg

02f26232-274b-488e-844d-7a46af6e9c3a_zps