Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Really? Very interesting. This is a source of deep vexation for me now. I need to get this nailed down (as well as the recording date).

This is from director Davis Guggenheim:

I’d be in London for a week with Jimmy Page and then go home and edit what I had. It was a personal process. We were kind of making a movie together. Like, I’d say to Jimmy, hey, what if we filmed you playing records at your house? So Jimmy brought us into his house and did just that.

Yes, I'm sorry I don't remember where or else I would have included the source. I think it might have been an interview with him about the film or maybe it's in the film itself with the Director comments on.

Open to correction but I believe I read that this sequence was filmed in a building overlooking Buckingham Palace Gardens - not in either of Page's homes.

I'd heard it was the event space of a London hotel, unsure of the location, though.

Really? Very interesting. This is a source of deep vexation for me now. I need to get this nailed down (as well as the recording date).

This is from director Davis Guggenheim:

I’d be in London for a week with Jimmy Page and then go home and edit what I had. It was a personal process. We were kind of making a movie together. Like, I’d say to Jimmy, hey, what if we filmed you playing records at your house? So Jimmy brought us into his house and did just that.

The interview for the Hard Rock Treasures dvd was recorded in February 2005 so I believe he is referring to moving into the Deanery.

He can't be referring to the sale of Boleskine House as that was reported in UK press way back in February 1992.

I have a photograph of Jimmy at Fen Place Mill that was taken by Ross Halfin in 1993 for a Gibson Guitars advertisement so it can't be that home. He did put Fen Place Mill on the market two years after this interview was conducted. Then, you may recall he also put an enormous tapestry - The Attainment - up for auction in Spring 2008 which coincided with selling Old Mill House (in Clewer, Berkshire) for

a second time. However, the tapestry did not sell and remained in his collection.

I will double-check the accuracy of my recollections and edit this post if a discrepancy is found.

Public sightings of Jimmy in Sonning precede 2008.

In May 2007 it was reported the Jimmy was selling the eight-bedroom Fen Place Mill near East Grinstead for 2.8 million pounds GBP.

Here's an estate agent's listing for Fen Mill Place: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-7611450.html

In February 1992 it was reported that Jimmy had sold Boleskine House for 2.5 million pounds GBP.

The music room segment is absolutely filmed in Jimmy's home, either the Tower House in Kensington or The Deanery in Sonning. The white shelving looks like a modern custom install so it really isn't clear to me which home was used.

I'll probably do a poor job of explaining my thoughts here, but speaking only for myself here goes: The music room segment shows he's still keenly interested in and inspired by music, and the great hall segment compliments that by presenting him still performing music. On an evocative level, both the music room and great hall interiors being predominantly white symbolize purity of artistic vision. The music room symbolizes day/youth and the great hall night/aged. So - again speaking only for myself - there's a balance (yin/yang) presented here and

thus it is easy for me (and perhaps many casual viewers) to imagine he's being presented strumming his acoustic guitar at home (though as a point of fact that is not the case).

I remember the tapestry being up for sale. Yes, it was The Atainment by Burne-Jones. I did not realize did not sell and that he still has it. I am glad. To get back to the topic, I have never seen pictures of him at Fen Place Mill, but Alice75 sent me a link of what it looks like and this is the link that you shared, Steve.

The white shelving looks to be Dreanary. I can't think of where else it would be. This is the Tower House music room. It is in William Burges's style, but since none of Jimmy's own belongings can be seen, I am not sure if he keeps his stuff at Tower House.

07a46fcd7726e66936d94113e6d3aaa5_zps8899

I was told that he goes back and forth between both residences.

Also thanks for identifying "The Can" bootleg. I wondered what it was.

Edited by aen27

I remember the tapestry being up for sale. Yes, it was The Atainment by Burne-Jones. I did not realize did not sell and that he still has it. I am glad. To get back to the topic, I have never seen pictures of him at Fen Place Mill, but Alice75 sent me a link of what it looks like and this is the link that you shared, Steve.

The white shelving looks to be Dreanary. I can't think of where else it would be. This is the Tower House music room. It is in William Burges's style, but since none of Jimmy's own belongings can be seen, I am not sure if he keeps his stuff at Tower House.

07a46fcd7726e66936d94113e6d3aaa5_zps8899

I was told that he goes back and forth between both residences.

Also thanks for identifying "The Can" bootleg. I wondered what it was.

Wow what a beautiful room! Thanks for posting!

Wow what a beautiful room! Thanks for posting!

You're welcome. It is the music room at Tower House. I love it. This is an old thread that was started about William Burges who designed and built Tower House.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/8214-william-burges/

I have this tiny photo of Jimmy standing in front of the tapestry

scan0004_zpsc5f0fea0.jpg

He kept the tapestry at Old Mill House. This was taken by a British fan and collector Steve Jones who visited Jimmy and Charlotte in 1982. It appears in Dave Lewis's book Feather in the Wind along with his story.

The Swan Song Launch in LA. May 10, 1974

Came from http://atlasicons.photoshelter.com/

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/photos/memorabilia/tickets/swan-song-launch-party-la-invitation

Jimmy talks about in his book how Ahmet snuck and how of the pictures and how Groucho Marx signed his autograph.

Jimmybook071_zps0666fe98.jpg

ah, thanks AEN :)

as you can see from my sig, I am a massive Groucho fan, too .... HOW COOL!!!!!!!

JimmyStarshipcloseup_zpsd433441e.jpg

Not so much a "mystery" as "something that's factual and known but I just don't happen to know it", but can anyone clarify how many times Zeppelin and Elvis met? (And any further details regarding dates, times, places etc).

What I have is:

First time: 1972 (as stated by Cameron Crowe; date unspecified) - in Elvis' Las Vegas hotel suite. (Cameron also says"they would never meet again").

Second time (according to article on ultimateclassicrock.com): 11 May 1974 (the band were in LA for the Swan Song launch and met Elvis at the LA Forum).

Third time (still Ultimate Classic Rock): at Elvis' home (date unspecified - not even the year).

Fourth time (UCR again): "on Baltimore airport tarmac when both were on tour in 1977" (more precise date unspecified).

In the 1975 pics taken on board the Starship (am I right in thinking these were taken 17 January 1975?) Jimmy is wearing an "Elvis on Tour" ribbon - is that some souvenir of having seen / met him shortly before, or just a more general statement?

Edited by scylla

JimmyStarshipcloseup_zpsd433441e.jpg

Not so much a "mystery" as "something that's factual and known but I just don't happen to know it", but can anyone clarify how many times Zeppelin and Elvis met? (And any further details regarding dates, times, places etc).

What I have is:

First time: 1972 (as stated by Cameron Crowe; date unspecified) - in Elvis' Las Vegas hotel suite. (Cameron also says"they would never meet again").

Second time (according to article on ultimateclassicrock.com): 11 May 1974 (the band were in LA for the Swan Song launch and met Elvis at the LA Forum).

Third time (still Ultimate Classic Rock): at Elvis' home (date unspecified - not even the year).

Fourth time (UCR again): "on Baltimore airport tarmac when both were on tour in 1977" (more precise date unspecified).

In the 1975 pics taken on board the Starship (am I right in thinking these were taken 17 January 1975?) Jimmy is wearing an "Elvis on Tour" ribbon - is that some souvenir of having seen / met him shortly before, or just a more general statement?

They attended an Elvis' concert at the Intercontinental Hotel in Las Vegas on August 11, 1969 but did not meet him on this date.

...."That night we had front row tables. It was the first time any of us had seen Elvis perform. And we weren't disappointed.

"perhaps the only dissatisfied person among us that night was John Paul, but it was good natured-despair. Before entering the showroom to see Elvis, we had spent a few minutes in the International's lounge, watching Ike and Tina Turner perform. .....

"He turned to his wife Mo"........

Richard Cole - STH'92 Page 96

They also attended Elvis' early afternoon performance at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, June 10, 1972 but did not meet him on this date.

In the January 1975 photo above, the ribbon Jimmy's wearing is probably a fashion statement as Elvis did not tour from Oct 10, '74 to Apr 23, '75.

I don't show any paths crossing at Baltimore International Airport in '77, but if they did it would have been May 25, 26, 28 or 30. However, given he was performing dates in OK & TX it seems highly unlikely. Elvis did perform in Alexandria, VA on May 30, 1977, but again so far as I know none of the Led Zeppelin band members have ever alluded to having encountered him on the tarmac in Baltimore.

So although they attended more than one of his concerts they only met Elvis once, on Saturday May 11, 1974. Page, Plant, Bonham, Jones and manager Peter Grant spent two hours with Elvis and Vernon Presley at the Presley's hotel across from The Forum. This event is often erroneously reported as them having met him at his home near Los Angeles.

Earlier that evening they had attended his 8:30 pm performance at The Forum; Elvis commented on it from the stage. (Play the link below at 56:10)

Another link of interest:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/music/led_zeppelin_meet_elvis.html#sthash.q9nLfv5Z.dpbs

See also post #2819 of the Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones thread for more.

They attended an Elvis' concert at the Intercontinental Hotel in Las Vegas on August 11, 1969 but did not meet him on this date.

They also attended Elvis' early afternoon performance at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, June 10, 1972 but did not meet him on this date.

In the January 1975 photo above, the ribbon Jimmy's wearing is probably a fashion statement as Elvis did not tour from Oct 10, '74 to Apr 23, '75.

I don't show any paths crossing at Baltimore International Airport in '77, but if they did it would have been May 25, 26, 28 or 30. However, given he was performing dates in OK & TX it seems highly unlikely. Elvis did perform in Alexandria, VA on May 30, 1977, but again so far as I know none of the Led Zeppelin band members have ever alluded to having encountered him on the tarmac in Baltimore.

So although they attended more than one of his concerts they only met Elvis once, on Saturday May 11, 1974. Page, Plant, Bonham, Jones and manager Peter Grant spent two hours with Elvis and Vernon Presley at the Presley's hotel across from The Forum. This event is often erroneously reported as them having met him at his home near Los Angeles.

Earlier that evening they had attended his 8:30 pm performance at The Forum; Elvis commented on it from the stage.

Excellent, thankyou. The ribbon was confusing me - I was thinking it was the sort of thing you'd be wearing if you were just given it today, like it was a kind of backstage pass or something. Jimmy's treasured memento of May '74, maybe. (If you look closely at the Starship pics, it's been put on or taken off at some point during the flight).

While we're sort of in the area, a few more questions that occurred whilst looking at the pics of Jimmy in this outfit:

Firstly, are these pics -

b7_zps48319c32.jpg

b1_zps6cbc036f.jpg

b2_zpsa094b249.jpg

b6_zpscb5a42ac.jpg

b3_zpsb9fde91e.jpg

b5_zps87f235bb.jpg

b4_zps992c4163.jpg

taken later the same day (17 Jan) at a soundcheck, i.e. in Bloomington, Minnesota, ready for the show the next day? (Jimmy having ditched the ribbon and Robert having had a change of clothes)? They're very professional-looking pics for a soundcheck (same photgrapher as on the Starship? Following them around for a couple of days for a magazine piece?). Also with a weirdly dark background for a soundcheck (unless they were roadtesting the lighting at the same time), and funny how the band kind of look in some shots like they're putting on a quite flamboyant performance rather than just going through the motions and thinking about technical stuff. Just consciously putting on a show for the photographer?

There's also this which clearly is a soundcheck pic, but it has a different look to it - different photographer?

jim75_soundcheck17jan1975_zps48d1b3ea.jp

I presume they were flying into Bloomington, but where from? Chicago? (I've seen the Starship pics labelled as "Detroit" before but I don't know if that's right). Would they have flown into Chicago after the previous show in Brussels, and stayed there for this leg of the tour?

Also, can these pics:

005_zpsc2a4f1d9.jpg

007_zps704b7a4f.jpg

006_zps81ff621f.jpg

- presumably taken either side of the flight - be pinned down re. time, location, photographer etc? (Note Robert's three different outfits and presence / absence of Elvis ribbon).

Also, I know the Burroughs interview -

13wsb-1_zps2641c822.jpg

crawdaddy75_zps194e8d72.jpg

burroughs_zpsdc93b30f.jpg

burroughsjimmypage_zps131e89d0.jpg

burroughscolour_zpsc37e2769.jpg

- was published in June '75, but on what date was it actually conducted? (I know it was in New York).

Finally (nearly there, I promise), any thoughts on date / location / circumstances / photographer of this:

pageandbonham1975_zps58e56b42.jpg

- note different jumper to in other pics with similar outfit.

Cheers!

• Administrators

That's incorrect. One member of LZ met with Elvis on another occasion, at his home in Los Angeles.

That's incorrect. One member of LZ met with Elvis on another occasion, at his home in Los Angeles.

Trying to remember now...vaguely recall something about Elvis breaking Richard Cole's watch with a karate move, feeling bad about it and offering him a gold watch...gave JPJ a nice watch also...may have been within a day or two of the meeting above...correct me if I'm wrong...

Excellent, thankyou. The ribbon was confusing me - I was thinking it was the sort of thing you'd be wearing if you were just given it today, like it was a kind of backstage pass or something. Jimmy's treasured memento of May '74, maybe. (If you look closely at the Starship pics, it's been put on or taken off at some point during the flight).

While we're sort of in the area, a few more questions that occurred whilst looking at the pics of Jimmy in this outfit:

Firstly, are these pics -

b5_zps87f235bb.jpg

taken later the same day (17 Jan) at a soundcheck, i.e. in Bloomington, Minnesota, ready for the show the next day? (Jimmy having ditched the ribbon and Robert having had a change of clothes)? They're very professional-looking pics for a soundcheck (same photgrapher as on the Starship? Following them around for a couple of days for a magazine piece?). Also with a weirdly dark background for a soundcheck (unless they were roadtesting the lighting at the same time), and funny how the band kind of look in some shots like they're putting on a quite flamboyant performance rather than just going through the motions and thinking about technical stuff. Just consciously putting on a show for the photographer?

There's also this which clearly is a soundcheck pic, but it has a different look to it - different photographer?

jim75_soundcheck17jan1975_zps48d1b3ea.jp

I presume they were flying into Bloomington, but where from? Chicago? (I've seen the Starship pics labelled as "Detroit" before but I don't know if that's right). Would they have flown into Chicago after the previous show in Brussels, and stayed there for this leg of the tour?

If I recall correctly all of those rehearsal photos were taken by Neal Preston on Fri, January 17, 1975. The band had arrived in Chicago on Thu, January 16th (via London & New York) having had three days off in London following the Belgium concert. The band stayed at the Ambassador East Hotel until January 24, 1975 when they departed for Cleveland. So the back and forth flights to Minneapolis were made using The Starship & O'Hare International Airport.

Also, I know the Burroughs interview -

13wsb-1_zps2641c822.jpg

- was published in June '75, but on what date was it actually conducted? (I know it was in New York).

Finally (nearly there, I promise), any thoughts on date / location / circumstances / photographer of this:

pageandbonham1975_zps58e56b42.jpg

- note different jumper to in other pics with similar outfit.

Unsure about the three assorted photos with the Elvis ribbon. Will have to look into it. Unsure about the photo above...possibly taken at the Ambassador East in Chicago (?)...

Jimmy's interview with Burroughs was conducted in February 1975 at Burroughs downtown loft on Franklin Street. Afterward they went to dinner at the Mexican Gardens. Burroughs had attended Led Zeppelin's February 3rd 1975 concert at Madison Square Garden as well as the after-show party, so the interview was most likely conducted on February 4th, 5th or 9th which were the band's only three nights off nights in New York during this time.

If I recall correctly all of those rehearsal photos were taken by Neal Preston on Fri, January 17, 1975. The band had arrived in Chicago on Thu, January 16th (via London & New York) having had three days off in London following the Belgium concert. The band stayed at the Ambassador East Hotel until January 24, 1975 when they departed for Cleveland. So the back and forth flights to Minneapolis were made using The Starship & O'Hare International Airport.

Unsure about the three assorted photos with the Elvis ribbon. Will have to look into it. Unsure about the photo above...possibly taken at the Ambassador East in Chicago (?)...

Jimmy's interview with Burroughs was conducted in February 1975 at Burroughs downtown loft on Franklin Street. Afterward they went to dinner at the Mexican Gardens. Burroughs had attended Led Zeppelin's February 3rd 1975 concert at Madison Square Garden as well as the after-show party, so the interview was most likely conducted on February 4th, 5th or 9th which were the band's only three nights off nights in New York during this time.

Excellent answers, thanks!

Just realized that there's this one too (clearly disembarking; in the dark; the in-car one looks like an after-dark shot too):

zep238_zps1f6afbef.jpg

and this one (hard to say whether it's embarking or disembarking just from the pose, but clearly daytime):

321_zps2eb8efa4.jpg

So my guess is the two b/w ones are from the start of the journey, by the same photographer who did the pics on the plane (Preston also? Was he travelling with them?), and the three colour ones by someone else who was waiting at the airport on arrival and watched them get in their car etc. I think in the pic on the steps Robert's in the same leather jacket he's wearing in the car; he's just switched scarves by the time he gets to the car. (There was a lot of changing of clothes on this flight and on this day - Jones is seen in two jackets, Bonham in three entirely distinct outfits, Plant in one outfit for the pre-flight b/w shots - if that's what they are - then the jumper, then something else again for the rehearsal shots - perhaps it's all a bit less "candid" than it looks and they're really giving some thought to what they want to be wearing for the pictures).

Only problem with that idea: I think they might still be on the plane in the colour shot where Robert's got a mug - it looks like the same mug as in the b/w on-plane shots:

75_plane2_zps8e8707ab.jpg

- in which case someone has taken pics onboard and then run down the steps ahead of them to get more as they come down - again, perhaps all a lot more staged than it looks. But either way, the colour pics appear to be taken at the arrival end.

So it was already dark when they touched down (Jimmy can be seen making an exaggerated "God I'm knackered" face in one shot, pulling down his eyes) and THEN they went and did the rehearsal. But it's January, so it could be dark and still not that late. Even so, looking at the amount of drinks on display in these shots, I think you've got to sort of admire the pace (and quality) they managed to keep up whilst more or less perpetually half-cut.

Edited by scylla

The William Burroughs pictures where taken by Charles Gatewood and yes, the interview was done sometime in February. Stephen Davies talks about the meeting between Jimmy and Burroughs in his book LZ'75, but Jimmy devotes 2 pages of it in his. It must have meant a lot to him. I wish Jimmy would do an On this Day about it, plus these Charles Gatewood pictures are among my favorites ever of Jimmy as well as my favorite of his 'outfits.'

"This was a photo shoot during the interview with Burroughs for Crawdaddy! where he wrote about music, trance music and Morocco. I turned the conversation to Wilhelm Reich and orgone energry. And it was to my surprise that William Burroughs had an orgone cabinet there in his home which he would visit on a daily basis. After the interview we went to Mr Burroughs' local Mexican restaurant where we ate heartily and he introduced me to Dos Equis."

Jimmybook082_zps0ff17f84.jpg

The William Burroughs pictures where taken by Charles Gatewood and yes, the interview was done sometime in February. Stephen Davies talks about the meeting between Jimmy and Burroughs in his book LZ'75, but Jimmy devotes 2 pages of it in his. It must have meant a lot to him. I wish Jimmy would do an On this Day about it, plus these Charles Gatewood pictures are among my favorites ever of Jimmy as well as my favorite of his 'outfits.'

"This was a photo shoot during the interview with Burroughs for Crawdaddy! where he wrote about music, trance music and Morocco. I turned the conversation to Wilhelm Reich and orgone energry. And it was to my surprise that William Burroughs had an orgone cabinet there in his home which he would visit on a daily basis. After the interview we went to Mr Burroughs' local Mexican restaurant where we ate heartily and he introduced me to Dos Equis."

One of my favourites too - I think it was that pic bottom left that started my (non-musical) fondness for Jimmy. It's the only look of his (or any man's, really) that I ever tried to copy (would be good with jeans or a denim skirt). But I couldn't find a scarf that's big and voluminous enough and sits in the right way.

Roll on October. I want my book!

• 1 month later...