Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

43 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

I have a partial page of this spread from Buddy magazine:

1977-motherblues1.jpg

Circled in red is the reference to John Bonham jamming with U.S. Kids...so that must be the name of the band in the photo by John Gasperik! The caption also suggests this was after the sold-out Dallas concert which narrows the date down to April 1st or most likely sometime after midnight the morning of April 2nd. I wonder if John Gasperik has a full color print of the jam as well as what now seems to be three different photos of Robert with the lovely ladies? To have these in high-res quality would a real bonus. 

1977-motherblues1.thumb.jpg.8b8c75cfdee70c3b98fdd96fe4a73757.jpg

1977-motherbluesrr1.thumb.jpg.8b8c75cfdee70c3b98fdd96fe4a73757.jpg

This photo of the of the Led Zeppelin 10/12/69 Lyceum Ballroom concert in London shows five guests "stage-right" admiring the band's music. 

Can any Zep fans, particularly fans living in London at the time, or familiar with the London music community connected with Led Zeppelin in 1969,

identify any of these admiring lads???  The fellow on the far right of the assemble guests in the picture is wearing a coat and tie.  The fellow

on the left with his left hand on his hips looks like a fellow musician almost studying either Jimmy Page's guitar playing or Bonzo's drumming!!

image.thumb.png.f6ca711f9480c698f493a669683f4bf7.png

image.png.74f787e73a5ab7eeb1f470099df6d288.png

See the whole Italian article with these photos posted on Page 13 of the Carnegie Hall Led Zeppelin forum posting accessible via the link below:

Edited by drowan

19 hours ago, drowan said:

This photo of the of the Led Zeppelin 10/12/69 Lyceum Ballroom concert in London shows five guests "stage-right" admiring the band's music. 

Can any Zep fans, particularly fans living in London at the time, or familiar with the London music community connected with Led Zeppelin in 1969, identify any of these admiring lads???  The fellow on the far right of the assemble guests in the picture is wearing a coat and tie.  The fellow on the left with his left hand on his hips looks like a fellow musician almost studying either Jimmy Page's guitar playing or Bonzo's drumming!!

The quality of the scan is such that it's almost impossible to say. A press review reported "a capacity crowd cheered them to the echo of a raving rock finale in which backstage fans were seen dancing in the wings". I have a hunch the gentlemen in the suit and tie is the concert promoter for this event, Tony Stratton-Smith.

Tony_Stratton_Smith.jpg

24 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

Probably from TSRTS premiere in NY:

1976---jp----.jpg

That's Page with the band Detective who were on the Swan Song label. Looks like 1975 or 1976 when Zeppelin were hanging out in California.

Edited by Chicago

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Chicago said:

That's Page with the band Detective who were on the Swan Song label. Looks like 1975 or 1976 when Zeppelin were hanging out in California.

Great!  I don't recall seeing pics with Detective and JP before. Just the one where he's sleeping in the background.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are there any photos of a young Peter Grant? Or any screenshots from films he was in? I can't find anything pre 1967.

Edit: I'm reading Bring it on Home, the Grant biography by Mark Blake. Grant is in 1962's Lolita: "Grant’s appearance in Lolita lasts for just a few seconds, and he’s only glimpsed in profile. However, he’s visible, wearing a white jacket and sauntering through a hotel lobby, as actor Peter Sellers and actress Sue Lyons lean across the check-in desk." The film is on YouTube if anyone can pinpoint the time Grant appears.

Also, "In an episode titled “The Money,” actor Sid James, playing a Soho con man, hosts a lottery to win £250. Grant appeared in a nonspeaking role as one of the ticket holders."

I believe Grant's appearance in Citizen James is at 20:22 here but I'm not certain it's him:

Edited by SilverVishnu

On 2/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, bluecongo said:

DD918D7B-FEC3-4AEA-9447-B74273A07745.jpeg

Thought for a second there, Peter's jacket was the Knebworth 79 jacket I have. Different size of course!!

My jacket is also red and has the Swan Song logo same place but it's not button down. Same type of stripes/material on the collar, wrists and bottom/waist. Mine zips about halfway down and has a cross zipper pouch (very European I guess!). On the back is the Led Zeppelin logo in white above the words "Knebworth Park August 11 1979." Worn by the stage crew at the shows. I think you can see one at the end of one the videos; round the encores when the band leaves/re-enters the stage. One of my prized possessions!

23 hours ago, SilverVishnu said:

Are there any photos of a young Peter Grant? Or any screenshots from films he was in? I can't find anything pre 1967.

Edit: I'm reading Bring it on Home, the Grant biography by Mark Blake. Grant is in 1962's Lolita: "Grant’s appearance in Lolita lasts for just a few seconds, and he’s only glimpsed in profile. However, he’s visible, wearing a white jacket and sauntering through a hotel lobby, as actor Peter Sellers and actress Sue Lyons lean across the check-in desk." The film is on YouTube if anyone can pinpoint the time Grant appears.

Also, "In an episode titled “The Money,” actor Sid James, playing a Soho con man, hosts a lottery to win £250. Grant appeared in a nonspeaking role as one of the ticket holders."

I believe Grant's appearance in Citizen James is at 20:22 here but I'm not certain it's him:

Peter worked at the 2i's Coffee Bar in Soho in the mid-1950s. It was there that he was spotted by wrestler Paul Lincoln, who gave Peter the opportunity to wrestle on tv as Count Massimo…this lead to bit parts.

Peter appeared in several episodes (including once as a bagman) of 'The Saint', a British television series starring Roger Moore.

Peter appeared in 'Dixon of Dock Green', a British crime/drama television series. 

Peter appeared as a Cowboy on 'The Benny Hill Show', a British comedy television series.

In 1955, according to Peter, he appeared in the British children's television programme 'Crackerjack!' which aired on Friday's at 5pm.

Peter appears in an episode of the British television programme 'Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Presents' titled 'The Nineteenth Day' which aired February 16th 1955.

Peter plays the part of Rick in an episode of the British television programme 'The Vise' titled 'Rattan Trunk' which aired June 10th 1955.

In 1956, Peter played the part of Bob Newton in director David MacDonald's mystery/horror film 'Alias John Preston' starring Christopher Lee.

In 1958, at the Ruislip Lido, Peter played the part of a sailor on board the Titanic in 'A Night To Remember'.

Peter doubled for actor Robert Morley in many of his films.

In 1961, Peter played the uncredited part of a British Commando in 'The Guns Of Navarone'

Some of the above remains speculative/unconfirmed.

The 2i's Coffee Bar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_2i's_Coffee_Bar

Edited by SteveAJones

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

In 1956, Peter played the part of Bob Newton in director David MacDonald's mystery/horror film 'Alias John Preston' starring Christopher Lee.

There was another actor named "Peter Grant" so some of the listings attributed to our PG are incorrect. I don't think he was in Alias John Preston.

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

There was another actor named "Peter Grant" so some of the listings attributed to our PG are incorrect. I don't think he was in Alias John Preston.

Thank you very much, Sam. I do believe this will motivate me to get some of the unconfirmed/speculative listings resolved!