Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Seeking any information on this photo (date/location/photographer).

243716812_10159942440452577_6937074817316850228_n.jpg

It is definitely Vienna, easy to recognise by the licence numbers (starting with the letter "W" for Wien). Unfortunately,  the exact location isn´t clear to me as Robert´s head/hair is obscuring an important part of the background. Most likely (90% certainty) the location is Rechte Wienzeile, 4th or 5th district, towards 1st district downtown. On the leftside one can see some building cranes for the construction of the tube/subway at Karlsplatz.

Btw, Robert´s clothes make me furious. The 16th of March 1973 was a cold day in Vienna: daily highs 7 centigrade/ 44 f, morning & evening temperature around 2 centigrade/ 35 f. No wonder his voice was in terrible shape a few hours later.

Actually, his voice was shot since January and dressing like he did on such a cold day wasn´t very bright. Obviously, he couldn´t care less.

12 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Europe 1973 by Wolfgang Heilemann (I believe that's him behind Robert), who travelled with the band for a few shows and shot for Bravo & others. This photo is either in Germany or Vienna. 

Here's one from Montreux 72:

Wonderful! Eye Thank Yew!!

2 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

It is definitely Vienna, easy to recognise by the licence numbers (starting with the letter "W" for Wien). Unfortunately,  the exact location isn´t clear to me as Robert´s head/hair is obscuring an important part of the background. Most likely (90% certainty) the location is Rechte Wienzeile, 4th or 5th district, towards 1st district downtown. On the leftside one can see some building cranes for the construction of the tube/subway at Karlsplatz.

Btw, Robert´s clothes make me furious. The 16th of March 1973 was a cold day in Vienna: daily highs 7 centigrade/ 44 f, morning & evening temperature around 2 centigrade/ 35 f. No wonder his voice was in terrible shape a few hours later.

Actually, his voice was shot since January and dressing like he did on such a cold day wasn´t very bright. Obviously, he couldn´t care less.

Perfect! Eye Thank Yew!!

IMG_20211017_201146.jpg.f5611502bc2db25131cc560408a9326e.jpg

hello, i saw this pic earlier today and wanted to know who posted it, since my grandmother has this pic in a photo album but it’s in a poor quality and a wee blemished by the age. 

i would even ask her but she would probably be offended cuz she probably already told me the history behind the pic, and also i can only see this photo again the next time she opens the photo album at some family bowsie like christmas.

so, if anyone knows who took it or where it was, i would be very grateful, even if it was just the photographer, as i already know the date of the pic. 

IMG_20211017_201146.jpg

Edited by zosohouses

1 hour ago, zosohouses said:

IMG_20211017_201146.jpg.f5611502bc2db25131cc560408a9326e.jpg

hello, i saw this pic earlier today and wanted to know who posted it, since my grandmother has this pic in a photo album but it’s in a poor quality and a wee blemished by the age. 

i would even ask her but she would probably be offended cuz she probably already told me the history behind the pic, and also i can only see this photo again the next time she opens the photo album at some family bowsie like christmas.

so, if anyone knows who took it or where it was, i would be very grateful, even if it was just the photographer, as i already know the date of the pic. 

IMG_20211017_201146.jpg

is no longer needed, i asked it to scarlet page and got what i wanted.

• 1 year later...

Is this photo from MSG? The mystery for me is the mustachioed guy on the right. Isn't that the guy from TSRTS film where Peter rants about pirate posters? The guy says "that makes me responsible for anyone who jumps on stage." But that scene was in Baltimore. And Peter's wearing a different shirt here than in Baltimore. So if this guy was in both places, who is he? I thought the Baltimore guys were associated with that show only.

spacer.png

On 10/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Very informative. Plant is not bare-chested at least. Check out pics of him like so at Chicago's O'Hare Airport in 1975 and backstage prior to the Bath Festival in 1970. During the former he caught a nasty case of the flu which hampered the early gigs.

On 12/26/2022 at 5:03 AM, Zep Hed said:

Is this photo from MSG? The mystery for me is the mustachioed guy on the right. Isn't that the guy from TSRTS film where Peter rants about pirate posters? The guy says "that makes me responsible for anyone who jumps on stage." But that scene was in Baltimore. And Peter's wearing a different shirt here than in Baltimore. So if this guy was in both places, who is he? I thought the Baltimore guys were associated with that show only.

spacer.png

According to Eddie Kramer, this photo was taken at Madison Square Garden. I believe the gentleman wearing the headband could be John "Magnet" Ward, a longtime member of the Led Zeppelin entourage. On tour he would be called upon to do things like drive one of the vehicles. The person with the satchel is possibly the same person wearing the stylized Coca Cola (Cocaine) logo shirt in the Baltimore footage. Finally, the man in question, perhaps still unidentified as far as I know, also seems to have been a member of the touring staff -- possibly employed by the promoter. 

Eddie Kramer.png

Pirated Photos.jpg

Dennis Ferguson.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

• 5 months later...

To add some info to the above photo;

It's from a 1991 photobook titled Good Times Bad Times and has Jeffrey Mayer credited. Strange thing is that he mostly shot in California, so one photo being shot by him in Pontiac would be unlikely.

Also the filter used is most likely a Cokin A201 kaleidoscope filter. I'd be very interested in finding out the origin of this one particular shot and whether or not there are more.

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

It's from a 1991 photobook titled Good Times Bad Times and has Jeffrey Mayer credited. Strange thing is that he mostly shot in California, so one photo being shot by him in Pontiac would be unlikely.

Also the filter used is most likely a Cokin A201 kaleidoscope filter. I'd be very interested in finding out the origin of this one particular shot and whether or not there are more.

It's Pontiac. Not Jeffrey Mayer though.

9 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

It's Pontiac. Not Jeffrey Mayer though.

I was mistaken, it's credited to "Globe Photos". When searching them only a few photos of Chateau Marmont appear on their page. I'd message the author Eddie McSquare himself if he had a contact.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 3:46 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

There are more Pontiac shots, In 77/78  I had a Led Zep poster (from a Dutch or German pop magazine) with the same Cokin kaleidoscope filter effect.

On this poster Jonesy was clutching his BecVar/Alembic bass and Page his Les Paul, so they were playing Achilles' Last Stand, whereas the above one probably features In My Time of Dying (Dano + slide, fretless precision)