Rain Song cover

sailor86

I've been playing The Rain Song for years now. I play it in the low position. I start out at the third fret. Then I found this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU9HiwmcLWQ. This guy's version sounds better. Any guitarists got any feedback on this guy's performance?

That guy is playing it in the tuning that Page played it in. I know Jimmy played it in one tuning on the record, then basically the same tuning but one step higher live. The studio version is: D-G-C-G-C-D while the live version is: E-A-D-A-D-E

It was in 1988, in a Guitar World interview, that Page revealed this tuning for the first time and Rain Song was properly tabbed. I'm not familiar with the way you are playing it... starting at the third fret, but playing it the way Jimmy did it is the only way to play this piece. I have written two pieces in the "live" tuning, one is an instrumental and another is a song titled Image Of You.

Seek out the tab of Rain Song utilizing either the studio or live tuning, you'll be very glad you did.

I'm an old dog. It would be a hard habit to break but if I have the time, I'll try it.

Well, look at it this way... you'll be playing it properly and... it will sound perfect. That tuning is very nice. I would re-tune my guitar to play Rain Song and tuning the B all the way up to D can cause some damage to your nerves... 'cause you just know that thing is gonna break... LOL But once you get there it's like floating on a cloud... it's just a Heavenly tuning.

And that inspired me to write some of my own music in it... it made going through the process of re-tuning more worth while.

Well, look at it this way... you'll be playing it properly and... it will sound perfect. That tuning is very nice. I would re-tune my guitar to play Rain Song and tuning the B all the way up to D can cause some damage to your nerves... 'cause you just know that thing is gonna break... LOL But once you get there it's like floating on a cloud... it's just a Heavenly tuning.

And that inspired me to write some of my own music in it... it made going through the process of re-tuning more worth while.

You got that right. I found the tab on Ultimate guitar.com and Wow! What a difference. I've been doing 3 or 4 times the work all these years. With the tab and the tuning, there's nothing to it but to feel the dynamics. I've been posting some songs on YouTube but I'm glad I didn't post this one yet. I always considered Rain song to be one of my best achievements. Now, not so much.

I'm finished working out the segments. Now I've just got to put it all together. Thanks mucho for the tip! I always credited Jimmy Page with teaching me how to play guitar. But I guess I've been doing it the hard way.

No problem! I remember in 1988 learning it and I would just play that song over and over... like many of Jimmy's songs, they never get old and you just want to play them over and over. Once I wrote some of my own songs in that tuning it made the re-tuning a lot more fun and it's still a tuning that I utilize a lot today.

Glad you were able to see what I was talking about.

Dr. Death, do you have any videos on YouTube? I'd like to hear your style.

Dr. Death, do you have any videos on YouTube? I'd like to hear your style.

No, I don't have any way to record video. As for my style, it was Jimi that first inspired me and I hear from folks that they can hear a lot of him in my playing. I also studied classical guitar and do a lot of instrumental stuff ala Bron-Yr-Aur.

I am currently working w/ a local store on a Fender Custom guitar... once this goes through I'll post some photo's of my guitars. I won't go into detail yet, but the one I will have the custom shop make will be the dream guitar for me.

No, I don't have any way to record video. As for my style, it was Jimi that first inspired me and I hear from folks that they can hear a lot of him in my playing. I also studied classical guitar and do a lot of instrumental stuff ala Bron-Yr-Aur.

I am currently working w/ a local store on a Fender Custom guitar... once this goes through I'll post some photo's of my guitars. I won't go into detail yet, but the one I will have the custom shop make will be the dream guitar for me.

I'm looking forward to it.

Archived