Facebook Friends

Conneyfogle

After reading Nathan's post about 'can you trust a facebook profile', I wondered if it's worth starting a facebook friends thread, so here goes...

If you're on facebook & wanna be friends, stick yerself on here and we can all be friends :toast:

Just post a link to your profile, so anyone on the forum can request your friendship (of course wether you want to accept is totally up to you)

Ok here's mine

http://www.facebook.com/Conneyfogle?ref=profile

I think you all are giving out too much personal info here, since anyone (member or not) can follow those links, find out your real/full name, where you live, etc. etc. I'd honestly advise against it--do what Starbreaker suggests and send each other PMs. You could just say in this thread if you're a member and want other people to "friend" you. Even putting the link in your profile is safer than putting it on the open board, but I don't think even that is a great idea.

Just want you all to be safe rather than sorry!

Edited for speling

I was just thinking the same thing as starbreaker and Aqua.

Guys, I really think that you should do this via pm. You really don't want random people looking at your profiles. It's actually pretty darned scary to think about how much random people from this forum (this website can be viewed if you're not registered...remember that) can see about you by following those links.

I think the smart thing to do is say, "PM me if you want to add me on FB."

I have a facebook and a myspace, and still frequent both, so yeah...PM me if you want to add me. Not that I distrust the members here, in fact I have several on my friends lists on both places, but I agree with the others that it is probably better to be safe. ;)

re: above 3 messages, 'tis a fair point and I understand if you want to remain anonymous on this site

My account is pretty open anyway and I welcome anyone to view (if someone really wants to see your profile they can as facebook isn't the place to be unseen (see my post in 'can you trust a facebbk thread' )

but again is a fair comment, alas us top 3 can't edit our post now

:oops:

re: above 3 messages, 'tis a fair point and I understand if you want to remain anonymous on this site

My account is pretty open anyway and I welcome anyone to view (if someone really wants to see your profile they can as facebook isn't the place to be unseen (see my post in 'can you trust a facebbk thread' )

but again is a fair comment, alas us top 3 can't edit our post now

:oops:

If anyone is worried about having the links to their profiles removed, you could PM the mods or Sam, and they can edit the post or delete it.

...and I'm off to empty my PM box...

You can also secure your Facebook profile (Account -> Privacy Settings -> Profile Information) so that non-friends can't gain access to any information that you have on your profile, including the main profile picture.

good point dazedjeffry, in fact one has complete control over privacy, you can have 1 friend and no-one else can access your info, if you like.

Yeah, I can see your point's, the only personal information I have on my Facebook profile is my name and what city I live in.

There is some information about my solo act to, but I kinda like to get that spread out, to get as many people as I can to come out to my little show's.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1142480139

You can find me here http://www.myspace.com/musicreward on My Space Music too if you want, I post in the "Acoustic Music" Forum a lot to.

good point dazedjeffry, in fact one has complete control over privacy, you can have 1 friend and no-one else can access your info, if you like.

you can also personalize who sees what. say i have a group of people that i know and a group of people for Mob Warsrolleyes.gif . my personal friends can see my pics and personal info. yet the mob wars people cant.

Most people have a privacy setting on their social networking pages. The sad thing is if someone wants to find someone that badly they can. It is a shame that there are some people out there who are creeps but in general most aren't but it is good to always follow the online and offline safety rules and more so for young children.

The internet social networks are great ways to meet new people and learn about new music and so on...I like facebook because I get to connect with lots of people from my past.

I thought this article was really interesting

Facebook Profiles Don't Stretch the Truth

Study found they closely matched the real personalities of the profile users

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/636205.html

By Alan Mozes

HealthDay Reporter

Lifestyle

FRIDAY, Feb. 19 (HealthDay News) -- Countering the notion that Internet users favor idealized virtual identities, a new study shows that people who join social networking sites such as Facebook create profiles that stick closely to the truth.

Members of such online networks may be more interested in fostering real communication and connections than peddling phony personalities, the researchers say.

"I was surprised by the findings, because the widely held assumption is that people are using their profiles to promote an enhanced impression of themselves," study co-author Sam Gosling, a personality and social psychologist in the department of psychology at the University of Texas in Austin, said in a statement. "But these findings suggest that online social networks are not so much about providing a positive spin for the profile owners, but are instead just another medium for engaging in genuine social interactions."

The study is published in the Feb. 17 online edition of Psychological Science.

According to the researchers, more than 700 million people have already posted profiles on social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace. Facebook alone lays claim to 400 million-plus active users, 70 percent of whom reside outside the United States. Collectively, these users share more than 5 billion pieces of content each week, and publish more than 3 billion photos each month, the site notes.

To gauge to what degree all this information accurately reflects the true personalities of those posting their profiles, the researchers saved and analyzed the profiles of 133 American members of Facebook and 103 German members of that country's popular "studiVZ" social network.

Undergraduate research assistants in both countries -- none of whom knew the social network members -- were recruited to review all the profiles for an unrestricted amount of time, and then rate their impressions.

In turn, the users themselves -- all between the ages of 17 and 22 -- underwent multiple personality tests. In addition, four "well-acquainted friends" of each of the American Facebook users were also asked to describe their friend's true personality.

Gathering all this information, the researchers then generated their own accurate and idealized personality profiles for each user, which they then stacked up against each member's online profile.

Bottom-line: Gosling and his colleagues found no evidence that the people were using their social network profiles to promote idealized personalities. In fact, the research suggests that the apparent accuracy of member postings could explain why the sites have exploded in popularity.

"I think that being able to express personality accurately contributes to the popularity of online social networks in two ways," Gosling said. "First, it allows profile owners to let others know who they are and, in doing so, satisfies a basic need to be known by others. Second, it means that profile viewers feel they can trust the information they glean from online social network profiles, building their confidence in the system as a whole."

"It's possible, of course, that people are actually trying to spin a positive view of themselves but simply not succeeding. But frankly, I don't think there's a lot of people who try that," Gosling added. "Because if I'm an introvert who wants people to think I'm a sensation seeker who swims with sharks, it's not a simple matter. And people understand that. I mean, I would have to go and get a pic of me swimming with sharks. And even if I did, my friends who know me would know I never swim with sharks, so who am I fooling? And that's, in fact, one of the great things about Facebook. There's accountability with our friends."

Laura Freberg, a professor of psychology at California State Polytechnic University -- who herself has investigated the psychological forces driving Facebook -- expressed little surprise with the findings.

"I think that the early studies in the 90s regarding computer use altogether fostered this image of the disturbed, isolated person who was pursuing an alter-ego online," she observed. "But I think if that picture ever did exist it's very different in the social networking that we see today."

"Particularly in terms of the Facebook type of social media, the fact is that this is not an anonymous setting," Freberg noted. "You have your picture up there, and generally speaking people use a lot of personal identification information. And the purpose is to complete and continue connections with people they actually know in person. There's much of less of a tendency to use Facebook to go out there and meet strangers. Members are looking at their high school friends, and they're keeping in touch with family and people going to different universities. It's a way of maintaining contact with people you actually physically know, as opposed to hunting out new relationships."

"This is true, by the way, not just for college students, who were the first group that utilized Facebook," Freberg added, "but also for the fastest-growing segment on Facebook today: boomers. People over 55. They're also accurately representing themselves, because they're also looking for a way to maintain social connectivity. So I do think this study is accurate in its assessment that people are being fairly authentic online."

More information

Here's more on social networking.

SOURCES: Sam Gosling, Ph.D., personality/social psychologist, department of psychology, University of Texas, Austin; Laura Freberg, Ph.D., professor, psychology, California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo; Feb 17, 2010, online, Psychological Science

Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Facebook question that I haven't been able to figure out, and thought maybe someone here might know the answer? :unsure:

Does anyone know how to fix your settings so when you "like" something, it doesn't appear on your own profile (i.e. "Virginia liked Jane Smith's status"; "Virginia liked Joe Brown's link", etc.)? It's driving me nuts. It didn't used to do that, but started after one of the more recent updates; and now I'm getting these long lists of likes that makes me not want to like anything anymore; I have to go in and delete them one by one. :blink:

I'm searching all over the help pages and have asked everyone I know, but can't figure this out.

I don't mind it leaving a notice when I join a fan page or add a friend or whatever; and I also don't mind it saying on Jane Smith's page that I liked her comment; I just don't want it on MY profile, lol.

If anyone needs to know how to unhide a friend or how to hide other people's farming/Mafia War etc notices just say the word; I do know how to do those!

Thanks in advance! V

I have a Facebook question that I haven't been able to figure out, and thought maybe someone here might know the answer? :unsure:

Does anyone know how to fix your settings so when you "like" something, it doesn't appear on your own profile (i.e. "Virginia liked Jane Smith's status"; "Virginia liked Joe Brown's link", etc.)? It's driving me nuts. It didn't used to do that, but started after one of the more recent updates; and now I'm getting these long lists of likes that makes me not want to like anything anymore; I have to go in and delete them one by one. :blink:

I'm searching all over the help pages and have asked everyone I know, but can't figure this out.

I don't mind it leaving a notice when I join a fan page or add a friend or whatever; and I also don't mind it saying on Jane Smith's page that I liked her comment; I just don't want it on MY profile, lol.

If anyone needs to know how to unhide a friend or how to hide other people's farming/Mafia War etc notices just say the word; I do know how to do those!

Thanks in advance! V

can block most things in Privacy settings (top right) - or you can hover on the right, next to say any farmville post click Hide - hide farmville just hide them when they come up on your news feed

Thanks :) I have hidden Farmville, Bejewelled, Mafia Wars etc.; I gave up Farming for Lent and probably won't start back up again after and don't want to be tempted :angel:

One other weird thing I've noticed is the strange way it suggests fan pages. Now just because I like Chick-Fil-A doesn't mean I would under any circumstances like Sarah Palin. (I know Chick-Fil-A has Baptist roots, but still..., and is she even Baptist, or just conservative? :blink: ).

Archived