Roger Daltrey Wants To Form Band With Jimmy Page

Diana-loura

I for one loath this idea. Daltery has proved to me in recent performances he's done, vocally. His pitch is gone, he's either flat or just too weak to really put any emotion into anything that isn't spoken. I love The Who but it's time to hang it up sir.

Not to be out-spoken here but....That is the perfect ingredient for a "Traditional Blue's" sounding singer!

Roger Daltery may have been a Mod in the mid 1960's but if you listen close to his singing, you can hear the gruff Blues singer in him. B)

It's funny, if you watch performances from The Who in the 60s, Roger has a very mod look to him. When you see performances from them in the mid-late 70s....he's turned into Robert Plant. He's got the long curly blonde hair, super-tight jeans, little shirts.....now he wants to work with Jimmy Page. The transformation is complete

Actually Daltrey had the look first, dating back to early 1968. Daltrey's joked about Plant co-opting his look while also saying he was always envious of Plant's height.

I love Daltrey's work with The Who but I don't think he & Page are a good fit. I could see Daltrey singing a "Prison Blues" type of song with Page but that's not exactly what I want to hear from Page either. I think they both should work seperately with whomever brings out the best creative spark in them rather than teaming up just because they were in two of the biggest bands of the 60's & 70's. If they did that why not get Bill Wyman & Ringo Starr in as the rhythm section to fill out that Faux Fab Four. Nah, each should just find other partners better suited to their styles.

Is there a new league where one just takes pictures with a guitar and never plays it? If there is then yeah, Jimmy is the #1 man in that league.

biggrin.gif This is true . Don't think Daltrey's the man to get those creative sparks flying though wave.gif

I think Roger means exactly what he said: he would like to do a BLUES album with Jimmy, and sing on it as a blues singer. That's not to say Jimmy would like to do it, but Roger obviously would. So this is just an idea for a project completely outside the frame of either Led Zeppelin or The Who. Roger's interest in the idea may actually be not unrelated to how his voice has developed, and it might actually sound quite well. If I have doubts about it, that's just because reading the recent interviews I don't think this is where Jimmy is headed with his new music.

I think Roger means exactly what he said: he would like to do a BLUES album with Jimmy, and sing on it as a blues singer. That's not to say Jimmy would like to do it, but Roger obviously would. So this is just an idea for a project completely outside the frame of either Led Zeppelin or The Who. Roger's interest in the idea may actually be not unrelated to how his voice has developed, and it might actually sound quite well. If I have doubts about it, that's just because reading the recent interviews I don't think this is where Jimmy is headed with his new music.

I agree with you Otto. I think it's unlikely it will happen. Maybe Roger might do one guest appearance on a Page track. Back in the 1970s, Page guested on Roger's song 'There Is Love'.

I agree

I would welcome this as an additional project to whatever else Page has in mind.

I think Daltrey could pull this off, especially with acoustic songs and low-key electric songs. Much in the same way that Plant sang on the Raising Sand release. Daltrey is another world-class vocalists and with a mature, thoughtful approach I would hope he would be just as tasteful as Plant was on Raising Sand.

Throw in some world-class musicians on, for example, bass, drums and keyboards much in the same way Plant/Krauss did and Jeff Beck has and I think we've got one heck of a side project in addition to whatever else Page has in mind.

I for one loath this idea. Daltery has proved to me in recent performances he's done, vocally. His pitch is gone, he's either flat or just too weak to really put any emotion into anything that isn't spoken. I love The Who but it's time to hang it up sir.

I WAS WOUNDERING THE SAME THING , IS HIS VOICE STRONG ENOUGH NOW TO KEEP UP WITH PAGE. PAGE IS POWERFUL !!!!

I think he's got more of his voice now than Plant does :unsure:

Eh, I think he does. Gotta disagree that he sings better now lol I think his voice is pretty shot compared to how he used to sing. It's not like omg horrible, he sounds fine but nothing compared to his old voice. Roger's voice has stayed relatively the same, I believe.

Well, all I can say is that I've seen him perform numerous times and must have missed all the jumping around! (He was never that sort of performer even in Zeppelin days, in fact.) We'll just have to disagree about his voice--we seem to be hearing (and seeing) two different people. ;)

Well back when he was in Zeppelin he still had his voice lol. Agree to disagree. From the videos I've seen of him nowadays and from when I saw him live, he does seem to do some jumping around at the high parts but other than that he's still got it.

Eh, I think he does. Gotta disagree that he sings better now lol I think his voice is pretty shot compared to how he used to sing. It's not like omg horrible, he sounds fine but nothing compared to his old voice. Roger's voice has stayed relatively the same, I believe.

Don't think Robert's moving around on stage has anything to do with his voice being shot - I think he just feels the music and moves to it. I happen to think Robert's voice sounds great now but I've never felt his hitting those high notes was a measure of how well he sang. Roger's voice to my ears sounds pretty worn out over the last couple of years.

Nooo not physically jumping around lol I mean him jumping around with his voice when he's singing haha. It's not just the high notes, his voice just isn't as strong and dynamic as it once was. He's still a good singer just not as powerful.

Nooo not physically jumping around lol I mean him jumping around with his voice when he's singing haha. It's not just the high notes, his voice just isn't as strong and dynamic as it once was. He's still a good singer just not as powerful.

Aww - gotcha. Well still disagree with you there. I've seen him a ton of times since 1985 and his voice to me has gotten more powerful in a different way. But as I said, his "wailing" and hitting those high notes isn't to me, a measure of him being a powerful singer.

Archived