Roger Daltrey Wants To Form Band With Jimmy Page

Diana-loura

Where we think he can sing, you don't think he can.

Where have I said that he can't sing? I'm pretty sure I've stated numerous times that he still sounds good. Lol I love how the Robert stans are getting all defensive it's not like I came in here saying Robert sucks, can't sing for shit, he should just give up! Just pointed out an observation is all. A pretty obvious one at that.

Nobody's getting angry - seems a pretty calm discussion, just people sharing their opinions without attacking :) Some singers who sound similar to how they sang thirty years ago could be due to a variety of reasons. They may not have smoked for one thing. Depends on how much they toured, what singing style they had. Someone like Billy Joel (I think he was mentioned before) didn't push his voice the way Robert did in the early days.

I guess my feeling is as was mentioned above, I don't expect Robert or anyone to sound the same. I think what's great about Robert is he's learned how to use his voice in many different styles. Trust me I've seen him many times, especially within the last couple of years and his voice is still powerful, just because he's not hitting those top notes hasn't changed the power.

It is true that there are many different factors that could contribute to the deterioration of one's voice, I probably should have clarified myself before. When you look at all the damage Robert's voice has endured, obviously it's gonna have an effect on the quality of his voice, unfortunately a negative effect. I agree that Robert still has some power left in his voice, I never said that he lost it completely I just said that his voice isn't as powerful as it once was.

Robert and Roger don't have the voice they use to have, still great singers, I turned 40 in December, I CANT SING, I dont have the same voice I had at 19, If ya gotta put plant in different time periods, I like his voice in all time periods for what it is, I saw the Mighty Rearranger 4 times, and Plant/Krauss twice, that mans voice is still an instrument, like a 40 year old guitar, maybe the wood warped a little, maybe it took in a little moisture, but, he can still sing great- JUST MY OPINION!

i think most people can recognize that Robert Plant's voice has changed a lot since his early 70s heyday, it's also clear however that some people think he sounds just as good or better and others think his singing isn't as good. It's all opinions at the end of the day. I personally think his singing isn't as good now as it was then and yes that is mainly because I enjoyed listening to his high pitched powerful wails. That's what made him Robert Plant, that's what made him the lead singer of led Zeppelin, that's what made him the greatest rock singer of all time. I still like his voice though but I think his voice is much more suited to the styles of music found on Raising Sand where he sounded wonderful. Although he sounded fine at the O2 concert (from what I saw on youtube) i think it was a good decision not to tour and go back to singing music that fits his voice much better now.

As for Roger, I would love to see him work with Jimmy page. Yes his voice is different too now and can sound a bit wobbly but I think he's still capable of sounding great. His climactic scream at the end of Won't Get Fooled Again was incredible when i saw him with The Who only a couple of years back. Would be cool to hear him sing some blues too.

i've been listening to this townes van zandt show, where he mentions talking to lightnin hopkins about the blues and lightnin hopkins says, -you should'nt be able to stand if your going to play the blues. imo the blues is all about worn, bent and broken notes. daltrey and page have alot of miles and seen enough to play the blues these days, even if they are rich and sober. haha. but really, was just listening to hummingbird, prison blues and blues anthem and could picture page and daltrey making a very good blues record, if that is what they have in mind. if it is a blues record, it would be an interesting vehicle for a project. maybe jack white inspired jimmy page, in regards to a scaled down, in the immediate moment approach to blues music.

I dont care if Jimmy Page teams up with Pee wee Herman lmao...

Think of all the catchy slogans for this pairing...

Herman/Page

Jimmy's Big Adventure

Herman/Page - Live At The Playhouse

Big Top Jimmy

Pee Wee Rides The Stairway To Heaven

Pee Wee's Last Stand

So I saw Daltrey last night and I have to say he was pretty damn good! His voice was a little rough/hoarse, and he didn't even try to do any of those big screams. He did a nice bluesy version of My Generation. Also Mannish Boy and Young Man Blues(yeah!) and I can easily see him doing a blues album. He was also very entertaining, joking a lot. Closed with Baba O'Reilly.

Clapton, apparently has zero personality. I'm pretty sure he never said a word or addressed the audience in any way. The concert was excellent thought, a nice mix of blues/rock and a little acoustic section in the middle. Highlights were Badge, I shot the sheriff, Before you accuse me, Cocaine, Old love, Tell the Truth.

Both had great bands, and I was annoyed that neither introduced them. I believe Simon Townsend played guitar for Roger.

you realize i was just looking for someone with a really anoying voice to make my point , I'm not a Pee Wee Herman fan.

biggrin.gif Oh yeah, I realized that. It's the kind of term I use myself except I usually add a little explicit language along with it laugh.gif

Agree though, I'm not getting any younger either ohmy.gif

I don't think there is anything in Roger's statement saying he wants to form a band with Jimmy. He simply says that he would like to record an album with Jimmy and why not? Both are the same age, they've probably been good mates for a long time, they probably have a mutual respect (I've certainly heard Roger speak in interviews, when asked about the Zep boys, very highly of Jimmy and as a matter of fact Robert). Jimmy is itching, i think , to get some sort of project on the go and Roger just seems to want to keep going. I think the combination would be good. Roger's voice certainly is not going to be the same as it was when he was in his 20s/30s/40s. He is 66 after all and his voice isn't that bad considering. I think a studio recording would be fine for him. He doesn't deserve some of the emotional views expressed here (and he certainly didn't model his late sixties/seventies appearance on Robert as suggested in this forum. Roger was growing his hair from at least 1967 onwards well before Robert entered the scene). I've heard Jimmy's guitar playing sound rough now and then too!

I don't think they would tour and if they did, I don't think Zep or Who material would be covered. Only the potential album material and several blues covers of their choice would be performed. That would make sense. This would be something new and not retrospective from a Zep/Who perspective.

Personally, I don't think that Pete, John Paul and Robert would be that bothered if they did collaborate. They're old enough and wise enough not to get involved in an emotional slanging match (altho' the music media would jump at their opinions and make stories up), they have their own projects and agendas to look to.

I think Who and Zep fans should just wait and see what happens, probably nothing will come of it. But, I think it would be interesting from an album point of view only.

I'm sure I once heard Pete say in an interview that he would like to work with Robert? Why not too?

Anyway, for the record I haven't posted here much, but I am a Who fan and the wife is a Zep fan (and we've enjoyed both bands for a long time). We've been together for years and get on alright, just (hee)!

J

If Rick Garson is listening he'll contact Roger and see about getting him to perform at the Show of Peace. Roger and Jimmy could do something together for that event and if the chemistry is right it could lead to other things.

This is an odd idea Steve - why would Garson be needed to set anything up between them? They have many more direct contacts than that. I also couldn't see them agreeing to collaborate on an event like this at such short notice. If they wanted to check their chemistry playing together, I don't think that doing so in front of billions would be the ideal tester. Or were you having a laugh? Can't tell.

This is an odd idea Steve - why would Garson be needed to set anything up between them? They have many more direct contacts than that. I also couldn't see them agreeing to collaborate on an event like this at such short notice. If they wanted to check their chemistry playing together, I don't think that doing so in front of billions would be the ideal tester. Or were you having a laugh? Can't tell.

Oh, I'm serious. My thought was Garson could entice Roger to sign on with the Show of Peace as a headliner and that would afford he and Jimmy an opportunity to do something together, if only a jam on an old standard like I Can See For

Miles (no smog...clean air, get it? Bah-dum dum, rim shot). You are right though, Garson isn't needed to bring them both together in any capacity and they did share management for many years.

Archived