Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
radiohead33

Does Page think Hendrix is the best guitarist ever?

It's been rumored for years that when Jimi Hendrix appeared on The Tonight Show (Flip Wilson was guest host) he was asked what it felt like to be the greatest guitarist in the world. His response supposedly was "I don't know, you'd have to ask Phil Keaggy that".

No tape of the program is known to exist, so like I said, just a rumor.

There's no VIDEO. There IS audio of this show. (Flip calls Jimi "Jim" which gets a laugh)He never said anything about Phil Keaggy. Nor did he say anything about Billy Gibbons. (Jimi had a lot of respect for Eric Clapton, among others) On Dick Cavett, Cavett called him the greatest guitarist in the world and Jimi brushed it aside, saying "oh no, no - maybe the best in this CHAIR"

On Dick Cavett, Cavett called him the greatest guitarist in the world and Jimi brushed it aside, saying "oh no, no - maybe the best in this CHAIR"

I've seen this episode. He plays "Izabella" amongst others...with his white Flying V if I'm not mistaken.

on another forum a Zep fan suggested that Page was the best guitarist ever. My retort was that page himself has said he thought Jimi was the greatest of all time. I know I have read this in an interview. Can anyone confirm this?

at least in the englishmetal mag kerrang,page was interviewed about the firm,and the topic of greatest guitarist came up.page had no hesitation in naming hendrix,even stating his playing trumps any guitarist today.

I think it's safe to say we will never find the method to find the "best." It's all a matter of taste, background, and up-bringing.

P.S. Joe Satriani is an amazing guitarist too. As technically gifted if not more so than some players listed in my humble opinion. Just giving Satch some love.

<br />I think it's safe to say we will never find the method to find the &quot;best.&quot; It's all a matter of taste, background, and up-bringing. <br /><br /><br />P.S. Joe Satriani is an amazing guitarist too. As technically gifted if not more so than some players listed in my humble opinion. Just giving Satch some love.<br />
<br /><br /><br /

There is always the argument that it is taste and opinion. But can someone say that Keith Richards or the lead guitarist from the Monkees is as good as or better than Page or Hendrix? Please. Give me a break. With the greats it is a matter of taste. But you can certainly say that some are at differant levels as musicians than others. To me, Page is the best by far and away. Have to put several in the number two spot including Clapton. But Hendrix like Rhodes, to me did not have enough material to be put as high as Jimmy. Sadly they died well before they should have like Stevie Ray Vaughn, and many other greats. But Jimmy Page was both technically and tastefully proficient to a degree that leaves one in simple awe of his talent. Page is the greatest guitarist that ever walked the Earth. Hands down. No contest. Bonham the greatest drummer and Led Zeppelin the greatest band there ever was or ever will be.

Slightly off topic, but I heard that Jimi Hendrix was once asked who HE thought was the greatest guitar player. Hendrix replied that there was this guy in Texas that blew him away. The guitarist he was speaking of was Billy Gibbons (of ZZ Top fame).

Anyone know if THAT is true???It is true,but I believe gibbons was in the 13th floor elevators,and gibbons playing was not limited to the blues.

I think it's safe to say we will never find the method to find the "best." It's all a matter of taste, background, and up-bringing.

P.S. Joe Satriani is an amazing guitarist too. As technically gifted if not more so than some players listed in my humble opinion. Just giving Satch some love.

I concur. Satriani is an awesome guitarist with a lot of depth and an incredible ear for melody.

on another forum a Zep fan suggested that Page was the best guitarist ever. My retort was that page himself has said he thought Jimi was the greatest of all time. I know I have read this in an interview. Can anyone confirm this?

I did hear Page say in an interview with Alan Freeman in 1977 that he thought Hendrix was "not ahead of his time, but certainly far ahead of the others", at least that's what it sounded like he said. The interview is on the "Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions" CD.

Cgab

<br /><br /><br /

There is always the argument that it is taste and opinion. But can someone say that Keith Richards or the lead guitarist from the Monkees is as good as or better than Page or Hendrix? Please. Give me a break. With the greats it is a matter of taste. But you can certainly say that some are at differant levels as musicians than others. To me, Page is the best by far and away. Have to put several in the number two spot including Clapton. But Hendrix like Rhodes, to me did not have enough material to be put as high as Jimmy. Sadly they died well before they should have like Stevie Ray Vaughn, and many other greats. But Jimmy Page was both technically and tastefully proficient to a degree that leaves one in simple awe of his talent. Page is the greatest guitarist that ever walked the Earth. Hands down. No contest. Bonham the greatest drummer and Led Zeppelin the greatest band there ever was or ever will be.

I'd question putting Keith Richards and the lead guitarist from the Monkees in the same box, too. One is a seminal rock and roll guitarist ("the human riff'), the other one isn't.

Wow... reading through these responses I am reminded that music is a very personal thing and one song can mean many things to many people. As someone who's been playing guitar for over 32 years I think I can provide a fair assessment of the players mentioned in this thread. Granted... it won't please everyone, but I am not talking about which guy I prefer, mainly speaking from a technical point of view.

To say that SRV is better at playing Jimi than Jimi himself is just wrong. On so many levels. SRV was an immensely talented guitarist and I had the privilege of seeing him live. However... from a technical point of view SRV had a lot of licks that he played over and over. He even admitted as much in a Guitar World interview back in the 1980's.

There are certain licks that he would play in Lenny that you would also hear in Couldn't Stand The Weather and so on. As a fan just listening to the songs you wouldn't notice it, but as a guitarist learning the songs these things become clear. Now... does that make him any less of a guitarist? No. But keep in mind many of his licks were licks that he got from Jimi. {There's a Foxy Lady lick that he plays in Lenny, for an example}

To say that Clapton is technically better than Beck is another wrong statement. Clapton is more famous, plays more commercially successful songs, but is nowhere near Beck on a technical level. Put it this way... I've had guitar students who could play Clapton after a year of playing, but Beck? No way. Put it another way... Beck could play anything Clapton has played/written but Eric would be hard pressed to play anything Beck has done.

Eric plays blues... he does it very well. But what he does is not very technically difficult. He does play with a good deal of passion, but the notes he plays are not so advanced that a guitarist w/ some degree of talent couldn't play.

Over the past 40 + years in rock there are really two guys who made a huge difference in the way the guitar was played. Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. You can like both, like one or hate them both, but you'd be very hard pressed to find a guitarist in rock who has had more impact than those two.

If we are talking all time and any genre then Andre Segovia must be mentioned. Again, music is a personal thing... what moves me may not do squat for you. But from a technical point Hendrix opened so many doors and impacted music in such a way that his legend is forever set in stone. He took guitar playing to a previously unknown plateau. And so did Eddie.

Not trying to start any fights here, but I hate it when people talk about one band or one guitarist being better than another. Music is personal and emotional. Music isn't a race. It's about expressing what is in your soul. I think it's great that so many people on a Zeppelin board admire Clapton, SRV, Jimi, Beck and anyone else. Just try to understand that there is a difference between what you like and what is technically proficient.

EDIT: Just came across this on the site for Lez Zeppelin, the all female tribute band.

Who are the new members of the band.

Also, at an earlier concert you played Sunshine of Your Love. How about some more Cream, and post-Yardbirds Jeff Beck. Page, Beck and Clapton are kind of like the Three Muskateers of English guitar.

Mike

admin November 28, 2009 at 2:03 am

Drums: Leesa Harrington-Squyres

Bass: Megan Thomas

Vocals: Shannon Conley

Guitar: Steph Paynes

We might very well revisit Cream…one of the greatest bands EVER. And yes, if it were possible to do “Jeff Beck” who is otherwise otherworldly, might be a good idea to invoke the Muskateers. Whole Lotta Love, D’Artagnon

Edited by Dr Death

Great post Dr Death.

I think if Jimmy were pressed to name his all time favorite guitarist he wouldn't be able to because he likes so many for different reasons & he's picked up different aspects of all those guitarists styles into his own.

I think it's fair to say Hendrix is among his favorites as well as Django Reinhardt, Andres Segovia, Les Paul, Scotty Moore, James Burton, Cliff Gallup, Santo & Johnny Farina, Chuck Berry, Albert BB & Freddie Kings, Elmore James, Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Davey Graham, Bert Jansch, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Peter Green, Alvin Lee, Pete Townshend, Brian James, etc as he's praised all of those mentioned various times as well as others that are slipping my mind at the moment. I'm sure if anyone listened to all those guitarists you would here something from each of them that is a part of Jimmy Page's style. I hear a lot of James Burton in Page's style for instance. That's pure James Burton influence throughout the song "The Song Remains The Same" without it in anyway being a ripoff. That's Santo Farina's influence you hear in "Your Time Is Gonna Come" & "That's The Way" on the pedal steel bits of both songs along with a bit of Chuck Berry's "Deep Feeling". There's Brian James influence in "Wearing and Tearing" via the Damned's "New Rose". It's all there in this wonderful "thing" we call Jimmy Page.

"Eric plays blues... he does it very well. But what he does is not very technically difficult. He does play with a good deal of passion, but the notes he plays are not so advanced that a guitarist w/ some degree of talent couldn't play. "

I agree with this statement. Clapton is very fluid and tasteful, but he doesn't really stretch out, which makes his music kind of dull for me. I play guitar as well, and to be honest, I long ago tired of playing those same old blues scales. That's why Page has been my favorite guitarist for the past 35 years. He has the ability to take those blues scales into uncharted territories......just listen to "Dazed and Confused" live in the SRTS film

Edited by cgab1

Jimi Hendrix didn't live long enough to really create the body of work that he surely would have done otherwise. The mere fact that he's still mentioned as "the greatest ever" forty years after his death never ceases to amaze me.

Who's the best, who can really say. This is a LZ board so of course Jimmy Page is a god. Go to a Hendrix board and you'll find the opposite. All I can say is listen to "Machine Gun" from Band of Gypsies. Personally speaking I've been a hard core Jeff Beck fan for as long as I can remember....but Jimi only had three and a half years to create his legend.

He succeeded.

All I can say is listen to "Machine Gun" from Band of Gypsys.

Amen brother... amen!

Dr Death--your thoughts are very interesting--some I agree with, some I don't, that's inevitable. But one of those guys you don't elaborate on, and I really need some help in getting this one: sell me on Eddie Van Halen.

Dr Death--your thoughts are very interesting--some I agree with, some I don't, that's inevitable. But one of those guys you don't elaborate on, and I really need some help in getting this one: sell me on Eddie Van Halen.

Well it's not that I have to 'sell' you on Eddie, the facts are what the facts are. In 1978, when Van Halen released their self-titled debut album, Eddie's playing, particularly the instrumental Eruption, completely turned the guitar world upside down. What he was doing was something nobody had ever heard before.

Over the course of Van Halen's career his playing evolved into more melodic structures but his innovative style is still instantly recognizable. The sad part of his influence, and this is not his fault, is that millions of guitar players went about copying his style, namely his tapping. Unfortunately about 99.9% of the guys who copied him don't have his touch or his passion for the guitar. To them it's just another trick to show-off with.

Eddie has done things on the guitar that nobody else thought of and because he invented these things they just became a part of him. Not unlike Jimmy and the violin bow. Although he's known for being a wild player in a wild band... especially with their most successful version w/ David Lee Roth, his playing packs a passion that is sadly lacking from many of his contemporaries who copied/borrowed/stole from him.

Just give a listen to Mean Street. The entire song is a perfect example of phenomenal guitar playing. You have that wild intro with tapping, harmonics and whammy bar and then he kicks into the riff which is as kick-ass as anything any guitar player has ever played.

It is a song born of attitude and Eddie's playing just exemplifies that perfectly. For those who like acoustic guitar there are many examples of him taking the guitar in its simplest and purest form and still being Eddie on it. From Spanish Fly to Take Your Whiskey Home to Neworld the man shows he's not just confined to electric guitar.

He's even had an influence on the older generation of guitarists. Jeff Beck was floored by Eddie's playing and even incorporated his tapping technique into his own playing. During the 70's it was safe to say that every rock guitarist borrowed something from Jimi Hendrix. Listen to Machine Gun and then listen to No Quarter. Jimmy 'borrows' a key lick from Jimi. In the 80's every guitar player in the world, or so it seemed, was influenced by Eddie.

When you impact an entire generation of guitarists, like Hendrix and Van Halen have done, there's nothing really more that can be said. Zeppelin, as a band, influenced a ton of bands as well, but w/ Zeppelin it was more the band as a whole, as drummers were trying to copy Bonzo, singers were parading around wishing they were Robert and guitar players were writing riffs in the hopes of producing something as memorable as Whole Lotta Love.

But, as I stated prior, only Jimi and Eddie have influenced as many guitarists just based on what they themselves did. I get that some people may not care for Van Halen as a band or even Eddie's style, but there again, you cannot deny the facts because the facts don't lie.

I don't know what you do or don't know of Eddie or if you do or don't like his band, but here's a few songs that really bring his ability as a guitar player out. Keep in mind, this would be like you listing just a few songs of Jimmy's...

Eruption - The song that started it all and it's only 1:42 in length

Mean Street - See above

And The Cradle Will Rock - A great pop rock song with more definitive guitar playing

Intruder/{Oh} Pretty Woman - VH covers Roy Orbison and put their own spin on this classic. Again, more amazing guitar playing all over this

316 - Eddie's tribute to his at-the-time new born son - Proof that the man can play beautifully when he wants to

Me Wise Magic - From the 1996 reunion w/ Roth. The guitar playing here is an encyclopedia of great craftsmanship. The intro... the main riff... the chorus... the solo... the outro... my God... just absolutely incredible.

Thanks for that--I'm just genuinely not that familiar with his work (because I wasn't keen on what I heard of Van Halen, and didn't seek out any more), and wanted your argument for why he was influential on the same sort of level as Hendrix. I'll have to listen to the tracks you listed now.

The great thing about "And The Cradle Will Rock" is that the riff is actually played on a synthesizer but sounds just like a guitar. EVH had been trying to introduce keyboards onto their records from the very beginning but the rest of the band wouldn't let him. He snuck it onto "And The Cradle..." during the "Women and Children First" sessions & no one in the band had any idea it was played on keyboards until he told them. Because the keyboards sounded like a guitar on that track the band relented & let him use keyboards somewhat sparingly on other songs after that. He had the "Jump" riff as early as 1981 but the band rejected it for being too "keyboard-ish". They let him use it for the "1984" album because he was unhappy & fed up with their anti keyboard stance & of course once that keyboard riff was used "Jump" became their first #1 single. I've always liked his keyboard work because his approach is not that different from how he plays the guitar, it's just a slightly different sound. EVH almost sounds like a sax player whether he's playing guitar or keyboards which I think makes him stand out. His father was a clarinet player so maybe subconciously that's how EVH hears the music in his head & translates that onto his 2 main instruments of choice.

Do you have any favorite American guitarists?

PAGE: Well, let's see, we've lost the best guitarist any of us ever had and that was Hendrix. The other guitarist I started to get into died also, Clarence White. He was absolutely brilliant. Gosh. On a totally different style the control, the guy who played on the Maria Muldaur single, "Midnight at the Oasis." Amos Garrett. He's Les Paul oriented and Les Paul is the one, really. We wouldn't be anywhere if he hadn't invented the electric guitar. Another one is Elliot Randall, the guy who guested on the first Steely Dan album. He's great. Bandwise, Little Feat is my favorite American group. The only term I won't accept is "genius." The term "genius" gets used far too loosely in rock + roll. When you hear the melodic structures of what classical musicians put together and you compare it to that of a rock + roll record, there's a hell of a long way rock + roll has to go. There's a certain standard in classical music that allows the application of the term "genius," but you're treading on thin ice if you start applying it to rock & rollers. The way I see it, rock & roll is folk music. Street music. lt isn't taught in school. It has to be picked up. You don't find geniuses in street musicians, but that doesn't mean to say you can't be really good You get as much out of rock and roll artistically as you put into it. There's nobody who can't teach you. You're on your own and that's what I find so fascinating about it.

Read more: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=int20#ixzz0icyQFHOT

Add the solo in "Panama" (during the break, where Roth is saying "reach down between my legs/ease the seat back") as my favorite from Van Halen, and I'm not a Van Halen fan.

To me, it's all about the feeling and emotion. I saw Ingwe Malstein in his supposed prime and it bored me to tears. David Gilmour can communicate more in one note than many can in a whole career.

Hendrix was not that technically gifted, but he was amazingly creative...groundbreaking to the point where he has influenced nearly every guitarist who came after. I mean, once the whole world shifted like he made it do, there is simply no going back. SRV was able to clean all of Hendrix's stuff up (especially apparent on "Come On Part III" from Soul to Soul...where Hendrix's version of this song was so raw and magnificent, Stevie's was almost antiseptic - a great guitar player no doubt, but lacking the original feeling that made Hendrix so great). I saw Eddie Kramer at an event in Seattle the other day and he talked about how Hendrix was so in touch with his playing that it was a direct connection, with no intermediate filtering, just pure all the way through his fingers.

For me, Page's songwriting is so incredible that it defies definition by technical dexterity. Look at a simple song like "Tangerine," so beautiful and yet anyone who can play a few basic chords can easily pick it up (it does have an F chord, but you can even fake that). "Ten Years Gone" is another where there's honestly not much to it technically, but it's just so fucking awesome that it defies simple explanation.

Edited by ringoffire

Page recently said that Les Paul tops his list.

It's not obvious to me that anyone here has listened with an open mind to Les Paul in his prime. That guy could give top players of today a run for their money. I would include guys like John Mclaughlin and Al Di Meola in that list.

Some great posts on this thread. Jimi Hendrix will always be, hands down, my favorite guitar player. He was the best; the very best. Not the technical best. Not the songwriting best. Not the soul best. Just the best, overall. For ME. Not for you, or someone else, maybe. But he is the best because he MOVED me the best. He really said something, musically speaking. And he created his body of work in only a few, all too short years. What he could have done, had he lived, is unimaginable. Never once did he THINK he was the best. He would've talked about Albert King, or some of the other guitar players who influenced him.

Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page have somehow acheived the impossible feat of being the most over-rated and under-rated guitarists, simultaneously, since they first hit the scene. And the influence they both had over millions cannot be denied.

I cannot talk about one without talking about the other. I would not have my rock and roll without either of them. I could never thank them enough for what they gave me.

And a quick shout out to Carlos Santana. That man could play ONE NOTE, and still make it the most beautiful guitar solo ever played.

These are men who LOVE their guitars, and their fans, and who had something original and substantial to say.

There are many, many others.

There is whoever MOVES you, man.

Oh, and a quick post script:

You can't talk about the best guitarists ever without mentioning the names of Chet Atkins, Roy Clark and Buck Owens.

Those guys are incredible.

even if i deeply admire jimmy for his great job with zepp over the years,i have to admit that jimi is my favorite musician.i adore zepp and i was really excited the period when there was circulating the voice of the reunion,i was so happy while thinking of being on a concert,but unfortunately it didn't happen...:((...i was so obsessed with the guys that every day when waking up,the first things i would look a the internet were ''led zeppelin news'' :)...this period lasted for over an year and i was really deeply disappointed when robert said that he would continue his career with alison...i know that might sound silly and stupid..but it made feel really bad and in some moments i felt very hurt..my marks at school were going down...but the only thing i was thinking about was that the f****** reunion!!!!!!!it's maybe because i was young but it was like an offence to me and that's because i RE-started being obsessed with Hendrix.

i didn't want to listen zepp because i would always start to cry because of the missed concert...but jimi was always there with me....when i listen bold as love i fell as he wants to comfort me...talking to me as to a friend.jimi 's music was my island and it helped me a lot.

actually i was introduced to rock listening jimi and that's why he still remains the God for me.

i know that this story might be boring because written by a girl who actually doesn't know the techniques of those musicians and can't give a ''musical'' comment,but i wanted to write this post because it comes from the heart and just wanted to say that BOTH OF THEM ARE AMAZING ARTISTS WHO BRING BEAUTIFUL EMOTIONS AND THEY CANNOT BE RANGED ON A TOP LIST BECAUSE EVERYONE OF THEM IS A PARTICULAR ANGEL WHO WILL BE REMEMBERED FOREVER AND THE ONLY THING WE CAN DO IS TO SHARE THEIR MUSIC AND MAKE THEM ETERNAL.