Exile On Main St. Reissue

Mr E

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like old Stones alright, ...old Stones trying to sound like they did in their youth.

Well, they were in their youth when they recorded most of that song. However, the sound and mix is very 2000-ish.

Well, they were in their youth when they recorded most of that song. However, the sound and mix is very 2000-ish.

Yes, that's basically my point, because of all the talk about the original mix and how it all blended in together, this is very 2000-sh like you said.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally speaking I don't think the greatness of Exile is based on "myth", not even remotely. I thought Sticky Fingers was the best Stones album when I bought it back in '71, better than Beggars Banquent and Let It Bleed. When Exile came out I got into it slowly at first but...........about six months afterwards I played little else for quite a long time.

The digital age hasn't done this album justice and by having it all on one CD (yeah it all fits onto one but...) I just don't think the modern listener gets the full impact of the record. Back in the day Side 1 was the house rockin' side, Side 2 the bluesy acoustic side, Side 3 was the building it all back up side and Side 4 was the rousing finish side. Maybe 15 or 16 minutes per LP side.....you'd pick one and listen...repeatedly.

Now of course it's all on one CD start to finish.......digitally remastered or remixed or pro-tooled until the music on the damned album itself doesn't matter nearly as much as it did.

I still have my turntable. I still have a small collection of my old LP's that I just can't part with. My original Exile LP is one of them...........play on.

Regards;

if I came across as an old fart , sorry but.........most of what everyone listens to on this forum is from the vinly age....side 1 and side 2. The albums and the song flow were done that way for a reason.

Personally speaking I don't think the greatness of Exile is based on "myth", not even remotely. I thought Sticky Fingers was the best Stones album when I bought it back in '71, better than Beggars Banquent and Let It Bleed. When Exile came out I got into it slowly at first but...........about six months afterwards I played little else for quite a long time.

The digital age hasn't done this album justice and by having it all on one CD (yeah it all fits onto one but...) I just don't think the modern listener gets the full impact of the record. Back in the day Side 1 was the house rockin' side, Side 2 the bluesy acoustic side, Side 3 was the building it all back up side and Side 4 was the rousing finish side. Maybe 15 or 16 minutes per LP side.....you'd pick one and listen...repeatedly.

Now of course it's all on one CD start to finish.......digitally remastered or remixed or pro-tooled until the music on the damned album itself doesn't matter nearly as much as it did.

I still have my turntable. I still have a small collection of my old LP's that I just can't part with. My original Exile LP is one of them...........play on.

Regards;

if I came across as an old fart , sorry but.........most of what everyone listens to on this forum is from the vinly age....side 1 and side 2. The albums and the song flow were done that way for a reason.

When I listen to it on CD I'm always thinking of what side of the vinyl each particular group of songs was on.

I think this Deluxe set is taking advantage of the so called greatness of Exile, myth or not, simply by finding some unfinished songs and associating them with Exile and then sitting back and watching the fans lick it up while the money rolls in. It pisses me off that they're not going to have that different take of "All Down The Line" from the b-side of "Happy" or the mono single version of "Tumbling Dice" on it. I did get an e-mail from the Stones site that advertises some very expensive limited edition sets you can get of the Exile deluxe set (one of these sets cost $2,500.00). There is also a case for 45s that has the "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy" singles in it, but I'll lay odds that it's just the regular LP versions of those songs....sort of like the different take of "Sway" from the b-side of "Wild Horses" that was later replaced with the LP version on later reissues of the 45.

Well for "cashing in" on the albums status, yes you're absolutely right. People gave the Stones a pass for the Ya Ya's 40th Anniversary edition released earlier this year blaming the Klein estate. Exile though was on their own label so they might have to absorb some of the abuse this time around if the faithful don't like it.

By the way you might know the answer here, didn't the original Hot Rocks double LP have a version of "Brown Sugar" that had Eric Clapton playing along with the rest of the band? I've got the boot of this (tons of those actually) but I was arguing the other day with somebody that the first copies of Hot Rocks actually had this version on the LP.

Yes? No?

Hip-O are releasing an album only including the outtakes and unissued tracks. So you really don't need to replace the Exile issue you already got. Lookie HERE. Good stuff.

Well for "cashing in" on the albums status, yes you're absolutely right. People gave the Stones a pass for the Ya Ya's 40th Anniversary edition released earlier this year blaming the Klein estate. Exile though was on their own label so they might have to absorb some of the abuse this time around if the faithful don't like it.

By the way you might know the answer here, didn't the original Hot Rocks double LP have a version of "Brown Sugar" that had Eric Clapton playing along with the rest of the band? I've got the boot of this (tons of those actually) but I was arguing the other day with somebody that the first copies of Hot Rocks actually had this version on the LP.

Yes? No?

I know the version you're talking about....I had a 12 inch bootleg single that had the version with Eric Clapton playing slide on one side and "Cocksucker Blues" on the other, but I don't think that was the version that was on the first copies of Hot Rocks. I think it was more like a different mix. I've never actually heard it, but I've heard about it...in fact someone had one of those for sell on eBay some time ago.

Hip-O are releasing an album only including the outtakes and unissued tracks. So you really don't need to replace the Exile issue you already got. Lookie HERE. Good stuff.

Thanks, that's great! I ordered the double disc version on Amazon, but I won't get it until June because I also ordered the Stones In Exile DVD by Eagle Rock and that doesn't come out until June 22nd, so to get the free shipping I've combined those in one order. But I'll get this Target exclusive also.

The Stones' production has always been, for me, absolutely impeccable. So no doubt, "Exile" sounds exactly the way they wanted it to sound. So I would be against any reason to try to clean it up.

I can't wait for the release of "Ladies and Gentlemen..." I think that The Stones have never reached the heights they got to with Mick Taylor.

I know the version you're talking about....I had a 12 inch bootleg single that had the version with Eric Clapton playing slide on one side and "Cocksucker Blues" on the other, but I don't think that was the version that was on the first copies of Hot Rocks. I think it was more like a different mix. I've never actually heard it, but I've heard about it...in fact someone had one of those for sell on eBay some time ago.

Yeah I think you're right, it was a different mix and not the Clapton session version. I owe one of my co-workers dinner now lol.

Swede, thanks for that link.

The Stones' production has always been, for me, absolutely impeccable. So no doubt, "Exile" sounds exactly the way they wanted it to sound. So I would be against any reason to try to clean it up.

I can't wait for the release of "Ladies and Gentlemen..." I think that The Stones have never reached the heights they got to with Mick Taylor.

I don't believe for one second that at the time they were recording it and trying to get a good sound and mix that they would not have gladly accepted a better sound, technically, if they could have gotten it. Like I've said before, I read that, either Glyn Johns or one of those other audio guys said that they were getting such a bad sound, so it's sort of a stretch to say that it's exactly the way they wanted it to sound. I've seen an interview with Andy Johns where he talks about the problems in trying to mix it. This interview is in that 5 DVD set called The Rolling Stones - Just For The Record.

For me, the best thing to come out of all of this Exile nostalgia is the official release of Ladies and Gentlemen....

I still think they were going for that earthy-garage type sound. Glyn Johns took the same approach with "Layla" so either the myth of Johns is overrated or that's what they were shooting for. I know they had their choice of equipment, and had plenty of top end studio experience, so it seems like they wouldn't have had to work very hard to get a more polished sound if they wanted it. In fact, they had to change their previous approach to have it sound the way it did.

I still think they were going for that earthy-garage type sound. Glyn Johns took the same approach with "Layla" so either the myth of Johns is overrated or that's what they were shooting for. I know they had their choice of equipment, and had plenty of top end studio experience, so it seems like they wouldn't have had to work very hard to get a more polished sound if they wanted it. In fact, they had to change their previous approach to have it sound the way it did.

I'd say the biggest change in their approach was that they just moved to France for tax reasons and were having a hard time finding a good studio there. Part of what makes the story behind the Exile phenomenon interesting is the problems they had in making it. That's what makes things interesting in the end.

Exile a better double album than PG? Come off it. As a double, PG drops loads on Exile. Exile would however have made a superb single album.

As for the extra tracks, if they have indeed added non-contemporaneous overdubs, then any value instantly disappears IMO. All this stuff can easily be found online anyway, in its unadulterated form. And I bet they won't even include the postcards in the vinyl version!

The Stones have treated their fans abysmally with endless reissues of the same old stuff, and their steadfast refusal to release any genuine rarities and INTERESTING live albums, i.e. from about 69-76. The opportunity for the latter was there with the Bigger Bang (or whatever the fvck it was called) DVD set. But what did we get? Recent shows, all very similar, all very boring.

Hands up who gives a shit about the Stones after 1981? And whatever happened to the 'Black Box' project? Thank god someone had the idea to put out Obsidian instead. Serves them right.

Oi Stones: Get Yer Fingers Out!!!

My 3 favorite albums of all time have been & are "Exile", "PG", & "London Calling". The 3 albums are similar in that they're doubles, they're diverse, & capturing those 3 bands at their peaks. Even though Zep is my favorite band & I like the Clash better than the Stones, ultimately I have to say I like "Exile" best. I love all the horn & vocal arrangements, the lyrics, the playing, & the mix. It just wins on a level that "PG" doesn't have & "London Calling" comes close to but doesn't achieve as much. There are individual songs I love much more on those other 2 albums much more than those on "Exile", but "Exile" as an album is seamless from start to finish. It's those horns & vocals that get me.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio

Another Exclusive Event For Rock Fans

Rolling Stones Discuss Historic

Exile on Main Street Sessions

with Legendary Producer Don Was

Premieres: Saturday, May 15, 8 pm ET on Underground Garage, Ch.25

http://sirius.chtah.com/a/tBL7cSjB7gW-gB8IioeDXkOm3-D/garage

Encores: All Week on

Underground Garage, Ch.25

http://sirius.chtah.com/a/tBL7cSjB7gW-gB8IioeDXkOm3-D/garage

Deep Tracks, Ch. 16

http://sirius.chtah.com/a/tBL7cSjB7gW-gB8IioeDXkOm3-D/deeptracks

Outlaw Country, Ch. 63

http://sirius.chtah.com/a/tBL7cSjB7gW-gB8IioeDXkOm3-D/outlaw

Producer extraordinaire and SIRIUS|XM host Don Was sits down for a rare

conversation with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts about

the re-release of the Rolling Stones' landmark 1972 album Exile on Main

Street. The band gave Was access to the master tapes from the historic

sessions, and he will share with SIRIUS XM listeners how they uncovered

previously unreleased recordings, 10 of which are featured in the Exile

on Main Street re-release.

Regarded as one of the greatest rock albums of all time, Exile on Main

Street will be available on May 18 in two CD formats: the original 18

track release; a deluxe CD edition with the 10 special bonus tracks; and

a super deluxe package that also includes vinyl, a 30-minute documentary

DVD, and a 50-page book with photos from the Exile era.

Don't miss this in-depth interview and preview of the re-mastered album,

including selections from the newly discovered tracks, only on SIRIUS|XM!

I still don't comprehend why Physical Graffiti got mentioned on this thread. Double LP? That's the only reason I could think of.

By the way, PG would have made for the ultimate Zeppelin record if it was just a single album.

I always liked Exile as it was, a double.

Opinions vary.

I'd say the biggest change in their approach was that they just moved to France for tax reasons and were having a hard time finding a good studio there. Part of what makes the story behind the Exile phenomenon interesting is the problems they had in making it. That's what makes things interesting in the end.

I don't think it's that easy...it's not like they had all the songs ready and were looking for a studio and were stuck with the sound. It all happened organically, they wrote and developed the songs as they were recording them in Keith's basement in France. It's too intertwined, the sound affected the development of the songs. The atomsphere of the album is the sum total of all.

Archived