Bearded tramp with bundle of sticks

exmoorian

I wonder if anyone knows who the bearded tramp with the bundle of sticks was (see figure at top of page!)?

Was he created out of someone's imagination or based on a particular individual?

Sorry, subtitle should read: anyone know who he was or his origins?

I wonder if anyone knows who the bearded tramp with the bundle of sticks was (see figure at top of page!)?

Was he created out of someone's imagination or based on a particular individual?

Sorry, subtitle should read: anyone know who he was or his origins?

That would be The Hermit for the "Fourth" (call it what you will), album.

Origin uncertain, but it could be one of Jimmy's paintings or sketches.

He is an artist you know!

BTW, I always thought he was based on Ian Anderson! slapface.gifrolleyes.gifwink.gif

Q: Why did you choose to release the fourth album as untitled?

JP: It started of originally going out without any information whatsoever, nothing. Then it was coming down to maybe we will have one single on it and then it got to the point where we all chose our own symbols.

Q: Jimmy's being the hermit.

JP: Some people say it has illusions of Jolman Hunt (a painter) but it hasn't. It actually comes from the idea from the tarot card, the hermit and so the accention to the beacon and the light of truth. The whole light so to speak.

Read more: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=int5#ixzz0gjcK5PSc

A bit of both. :-)

It's just that I was recently given some old pictures and noted the resemblance between the chap in a couple of the photos and the Zep artwork. Could be a complete coincidence, of course.

I bear a resemblance to my avatar. Could also be a complete coincidence, of course.

OK, rather more than a passing resemblance or coincidence. More of a dead-ringer - artwork based on 100+ year old photographs of a man who lived in a forest in the south of england.

The stick gathering hermit is pretty obscure but not a total unknown. So that's why I assumed that someone would have made the connection or the answer would be more widely known.

Anyway, I'll reveal all, at a later date, if noone has come up with the answer ...

Now I have something I have to skin.

In summary then

Two questions:

- Does anyone know the name of the man on which the Tramp/Hermit (from Led Zep IV) artwork is most likely based?

- Who came up with the Zeppelin tramp/hermit album artwork? Name?

(I have no idea of the answer to the second question)

Now, that really is it, for now rolleyes.gif

In summary then

Two questions:

Does anyone know the name of the man on which the Tramp/Hermit (from Led Zep IV) artwork is most likely based?

Who came up with the Zeppelin tramp/hermit album artwork? Name?

Now, that really is it, for now rolleyes.gif

George Pickingill, and if you want to believe Jimmy he said he and Robert found the painting at a thrift shop in Reading.

Anyway, hope you've enjoyed trolling this forum.

George Pickingill, and if you want to believe Jimmy he said he and Robert found the painting at a thrift shop in Reading.

Anyway, hope you've enjoyed trolling this forum.

Sorry, nope.

And there really is no need to start calling people trolls just because you spend all your life on this forum.

Anyway, more when I have more time.

Sorry, nope.

And there really is no need to start calling people trolls just because you spend all your life on this forum.

Anyway, more when I have more time.

Just an FYI, most of us love this forum and the people who have tried to give you a straight answer (which you seem to not be allowing your brain to absorb :rolleyes: ) are some of the smartest people on this forum and have nothing but the upmost respect for Led Zeppelin and have spent many hours to research and make sure the information is correct.

Since you seem to know the answer then post it :poke:

he looks like he is a farmer, or peasant farmer. tired from a life of work, knee patch on his pants. he probably has a jug of wine back home though.

Hi 'middlezep'

More like a Tramp, Bum or a Hobo than a Farmer, sorry Jimmy didnt mean to diss your Grandad. :o

Regards, Danny

Archived