Four Sticks

Topogigio

Okay...first post. Just have to chime in that Four Sticks is one of my all-time fav Zep songs...simply mesmerizes me. Like someone else said (better) it represents to me what Zep could do that other bands of the time couldn't or didn't. Love the site, BTW.

Welcome to the forum SummrMoon. It's a great song and quite diverse with so many varied musical styles.

Truly one of the most underrated songs in the LZ catalogue and as a consequence of it being the least played track on LZ IV by far, the song still sounds fresh to many whenever it does receive the rare airing on radio.

That being said, I kind of get your meaning about the mix...compared to the rest of the album it...and to some extent Rock n Roll...sounds flat in places, particularly the guitars.

When you compare it to the alternate mix that's out there, the difference is striking.

Now, I am posting this from my phone from a bar where I am watching the NCAA game, so I don't have access to my books, but I seem to recall reading that there was some trouble with the recording that may explain the mix.

One problem if I recall correctly is that the guitar tracks were lost by Ron Nevison.

Then, after recording in LA they got to England and found the tapes sounded like shit. I can't remember if they were able to rerecord or if they tried to go with what they had, but this may explain the sound of the song on record.

I have to say I don't agree with those who thought the live version they did in 1971 was a disaster. I like it...and I think if they hadn't given up on the song so quickly they could've turned it into a monster in concert.

I have no problems with Plant's vocals either...find them spine-tingling.

In my opinion, the original studio cut of Four Sticks can't even be touched by any of the Page/Plant versions. Robert is shattering glass, Bonzo and Jimmy are tearing it up...you might say the original is over the top... ;)

I like it that way. I have what sounds like the original studio tape (pre-compression) on a great boot, the sound is superb. You can hear Bonzo mumbling something about "fucking Africans" before they tear into the song...

Oh yes. The louder the better. B)

Archived