Sheet music?

MisterMcLov1n

Hello everyone. I've been taking guitar lessons for a little over a month now and I'm learning the good old-fashioned way, through scales and reading sheet music. Does anyone have a preferred guitar sheet music company? I'm looking for some good tunes to learn. Tabs don't cut it for me because I want to learn the theory behind the music as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I've been taking guitar lessons for a little over a month now and I'm learning the good old-fashioned way, through scales and reading sheet music. Does anyone have a preferred guitar sheet music company? I'm looking for some good tunes to learn. Tabs don't cut it for me because I want to learn the theory behind the music as well.

I download sheet music from musicnotes.

• 1 month later...

smile.gif

Learn the conventional chords first. Then the bars. Then penatonic scale. Do finger exercises on the scales to improve your dexterity. Don't rule out tabs entirely. They can help you learn songs much faster in some cases. If you want to learn theory, you should learn some piano too. Converting your knowledge of piano to guitar will make it easier to understand. The piano is an instrument that has the notes in perfect chronological/or say alphabetical order. The sharps and flats and half and whole steps can be compared to frets and such. But if you dont want to deal with learning piano, thats fine too. Once you have mastered the chords, and scales, you can use your ear to improvise. Some techniques you may need to learn from someone that has played a while. It will bring you along much faster. Good luck and enjoy!

Tabs don't cut it for me because I want to learn the theory behind the music as well.

Not wanting to knock you off your righteous path, but IMO standard musical notation is entirely unsuited to transcribing rock guitar music. That's because any given chord or sequence of notes can be played in many different positions on the fretboard - unlike, say, the piano, where there's only one way of playing any particular note. Plus there are many guitar nuances that cannot be recorded in standard notation, whereas tablature books can depict these.

I'd advise you to start with tab, otherwise you're likely to get very frustrated as the music you learn becomes more complex. I'd say you'll find that tab tells you all you'll need for guitar, and you'd still have the option later on if you feel the need to learn standard notation (which, incidentally, has little or nothing to do with 'music theory', as it's just a form of notation).

Not wanting to knock you off your righteous path, but IMO standard musical notation is entirely unsuited to transcribing rock guitar music. That's because any given chord or sequence of notes can be played in many different positions on the fretboard - unlike, say, the piano, where there's only one way of playing any particular note. Plus there are many guitar nuances that cannot be recorded in standard notation, whereas tablature books can depict these.

I'd advise you to start with tab, otherwise you're likely to get very frustrated as the music you learn becomes more complex. I'd say you'll find that tab tells you all you'll need for guitar, and you'd still have the option later on if you feel the need to learn standard notation (which, incidentally, has little or nothing to do with 'music theory', as it's just a form of notation).

I am assuming he wants to know how to read music in general? The notes on a treble and bass cleff, chords and how they look on paper and such? Very usfull if he plans to learn piano too but I see your point, he doesn't really need to if he just wants to play head banging rock n roll on electric guitar.cool.gif

• 1 month later...

This is true. TAB along with standard notation is a big help.

If you're looking to buy sheet music I've gone here:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com

www.olga.net was the best free tab site ever!! Three years now and they still have the legal shit on their site. Shut down for legalities!!! Why are the shitty ones still up and running? So we can get bad and inaccurate tabliture? Bastard lawyers. Cant keep their fucking noses out of music even!! That is why Henley says kill all the lawyers!!

www.olga.net was the best free tab site ever!! Three years now and they still have the legal shit on their site. Shut down for legalities!!! Why are the shitty ones still up and running? So we can get bad and inaccurate tabliture? Bastard lawyers. Cant keep their fucking noses out of music even!! That is why Henley says kill all the lawyers!!

I'm not familiar with the site but I agree with Henley.

But how else will the lawyers pay for their gold plated hot tubs? <_<

I'm not familiar with the site but I agree with Henley.

But how else will the lawyers pay for their gold plated hot tubs? dry.gif

I dont even see the issue. The site was basically amatuer musicians posting their own cover of just about any big song and group you can think of. So its not like you were stealing it directly from the artist. It was the interpretation and very accurate in most cases of the guitar.

• 2 months later...

The best tab site I have ever seen, www.olga.net is STILL in legal bullshit according to the page they have had up for three years. I dont see what kind of an asshole would want to shut down a site that is basically a collection of tabs that are the interpretation of musicians that donate them. Not stealing from the bands. Not stealing music. Yet the other sites that suck are still around.

William Shakespeare said it first! ;)

• 2 months later...

Thats cool. tab is only good to a certain extent...you need te music notation too to see how it goes,, use your ear as well, its all good. I use Musicnotes sometimes,musicroom etc...have fun.

I dont even see the issue. The site was basically amatuer musicians posting their own cover of just about any big song and group you can think of. So its not like you were stealing it directly from the artist. It was the interpretation and very accurate in most cases of the guitar.

Maybe it's best to do your own TAB (part of the learning process) and to hell with the lawyers. B)

Archived