Ticket Scam

bigzepfan

Looks like these guys got all of the best seats in the house.

It is very obvious since almost every show you can buy the upfront tickets from a broker online.

I thought that ticketmaster had safeguards in place to protect against this...or let me guess...they got a kickback.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/01/new.jersey.ticket.hacking/index.html

Thoughts?

I recently went to Clapton/Beck and watched ticket prices from when they first went on sale to the day of the show. As always they started real high and got lower and lower towards the end.

The thing that amazes me is that there are 28 front row center seats at MSG and over half of them were for sale on stubhub and other ticket broker sites. It makes it so blatantly obvious that the resellers of the tix have an "in" with ticketmaster one way or another.

At least this isn't like Van Halen where they took a percentage of the profits from the ticket brokers. That was pure freaking bullshit.

About two years ago Ticketmaster had auctions that you could bid on tickets that were right up front. Some of the extra money went to charity. It's obviously better than having the brokers buy them and they make all of the profit.

I bought my Clapton/Beck tickets for 2/19/10 at MSG through Ticketmaster within 5 minutes that they went on sale. The best seats available were in the 300's level for the top price. A few weeks before the show, they had good floor seats available through Ticketmaster. What's up with that?

It really is unfair that these scum-bags are scarfing up the best seats and then resellng them for outrageous sums.

I saw Wicked while in NYC the weekend of the Clapton/Beck show, and had fantastic seats. I walked up to the box office on the morning of the show to buy my tickets. I got two seats in the 5th row, center stage, cost $125 per ticket. Not cheap, but not outrageous either, and well worth the price. I buy tickets at the box office like this every time I see a show in NYC, and always get excellent seats. I bet that these seats were not available on Ticketmaster, but I don't know for sure. This saves paying all of the service fees that are charged when you order them online.

Once, our family and relatives bought tickets for a Detroit Tigers baseball game at the box office on the morning of the game. We got 7 seats behind home plate, about 10 rows back. Fantastic seats. We were seated with the family and friends of the players. I think that these seats were released for sale that day by the players since they weren't going to be used for that game. They weren't cheap, but again, they were reasonably priced for where they were located. Again, I would guess that you couldn't buy these seats online, but I don't know for certain.

It is a gamble that there will be seats available, but if you want to see a show or event at the last minute, check direclty at the box office. You may be surprised at the seats that they have open for sale.

I bought my Clapton/Beck tickets for 2/19/10 at MSG through Ticketmaster within 5 minutes that they went on sale. The best seats available were in the 300's level for the top price. A few weeks before the show, they had good floor seats available through Ticketmaster. What's up with that?

It really is unfair that these scum-bags are scarfing up the best seats and then resellng them for outrageous sums.

I saw Wicked while in NYC the weekend of the Clapton/Beck show, and had fantastic seats. I walked up to the box office on the morning of the show to buy my tickets. I got two seats in the 5th row, center stage, cost $125 per ticket. Not cheap, but not outrageous either, and well worth the price. I buy tickets at the box office like this every time I see a show in NYC, and always get excellent seats. I bet that these seats were not available on Ticketmaster, but I don't know for sure. This saves paying all of the service fees that are charged when you order them online.

Once, our family and relatives bought tickets for a Detroit Tigers baseball game at the box office on the morning of the game. We got 7 seats behind home plate, about 10 rows back. Fantastic seats. We were seated with the family and friends of the players. I think that these seats were released for sale that day by the players since they weren't going to be used for that game. They weren't cheap, but again, they were reasonably priced for where they were located. Again, I would guess that you couldn't buy these seats online, but I don't know for certain.

It is a gamble that there will be seats available, but if you want to see a show or event at the last minute, check direclty at the box office. You may be surprised at the seats that they have open for sale.

I've made out pretty good last minute as well. I guess I'm from the belief that when the tickets go on sale they should all be sold from best to worst in that order with no exceptions, no holdbacks.

Now it seems that they definitely hold onto many. I remember seeing many "Sold Out" shows, even still being advertised on the marquee as Sold Out, and you could go up and get very good seats at the last minute. Plant/Krauss was that way for each of the three shows I saw. So they definitely hold them, how many, for how long is pot luck.

When I saw TCV 2/8 they were sold out completely. The girl there said there was no way that any will be released the day of the show.

For me when I need tix last minute they're "usually" not available at the box office, but I have gotten into every show...knock on wood...so far.

i would expect alot of lawsuits from bruce springsteen fans. his fan base is so strong and many of those folks are at the age where they have alot of money and i'm sure they shelled out way too much for some of these scammed tickets.

Archived