Today In Led Zeppelin History

October 5th

1970 -Led Zeppelin III Released ^^

1969 - Led Zeppelin -Amsterdam, Netherlands/Concertgebouw

1972 - Led Zeppelin -Nagoya, Japan/Kokaido

1988 - Robert Plant-Now and Zen American Tour-Dallas, TX./Starplex

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Seattle, WA./Paramont Theatre

1999 - JPJ-Zooma European Tour-Dublin Ireland HQ

2008 - Robert Plant -Raising Sand Tour-Saratoga, CA./The Mountain Winery

Nice write up on the release of Led Zeppelin III from the folks at All Things Music Plus:

312776_170046063080809_151694561582626_360022_231111377_n.jpg

ON THIS DATE (41 YEARS AGO)

October 5, 1970 – Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin III is released.

# ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ 5/5

# Allmusic 5/5 stars

# Rolling Stone (see original review below)

ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ TWO CENTS WORTH

This was my first real listen to Zep and just realized I must have been 10 years old (11 in November). I really don’t care much about how long ago it was and that I am getting older, albeit gracefully (lol – no wiseass comments from those that know me); but I feel so bad for 10 year old kids (who are almost 11) now – they will never be able to listen/experience a Led Zeppelin at this age. The wheely thing/cover – you ain’t gonna get that on no MP3~

Oh, and to THE Lester Bangs (wherever you was or is or will be) – BOLLOCKS!

Led Zeppelin III is the third album by Led Zeppelin, released on this date in 1970. It was recorded between January and July 1970 and released by Atlantic Records. Composed largely at a remote cottage in Wales known as Bron-Yr-Aur, this work represented a maturing of the band's music towards a greater emphasis on folk and acoustic sounds. This surprised many fans and critics, and upon its release the album received rather indifferent reviews.

Although it is not one of the highest sellers in Zeppelin's catalogue, Led Zeppelin III is now generally praised, and acknowledged as representing an important milestone in the band's history. Although acoustic songs are featured on Led Zeppelin III's predecessors, it is this album which is widely acknowledged for showing that Led Zeppelin was more than just a conventional rock band and that they could branch out in other areas musically.

COVER

Led Zeppelin III's original vinyl edition was packaged in a gatefold sleeve with an innovative cover, designed by Zacron, a multi-media artist whom Page had met in 1963 whilst Zacron was a student at Kingston College of Art. He had recently resigned a lectureship at Leeds Polytechnic to found Zacron Studios, and in 1970 Page contacted him and asked him to design the third album's cover.

The cover and interior gatefold art consisted of a surreal collection of seemingly random images on a white background, many of them connected thematically with flight or aviation (as in "Zeppelin"). Behind the front cover was a rotatable laminated card disc, or volvelles, covered with more images, including photos of the band members, which showed through holes in the cover. Moving an image into place behind one hole would usually bring one or two others into place behind other holes.

ORIGINAL ROLLING STONE REVIEW

I keep nursing this love-hate attitude toward Led Zeppelin. Partly from genuine interest and mostly indefensible hopes, in part from the conviction that nobody that crass could be all that bad. I turn to each fresh album experiencing -- what? Certainly not subtle echoes of the monolithic Yardbirds, or authentic blues experiments, or even much variety. Maybe it's just that they seem like the ultimate Seventies Calf of Gold.

The Zep, of all bands surviving, are today -- their music is as ephemeral as Marvel comix, and as vivid as an old Technicolor cartoon. It doesn't challenge anybody's intelligence or sensibilities, relying instead on a pat visceral impact that will insure absolute stardom for many moons to come. Their albums refine the crude public tools of all dull white blues bands into something awesome in its very insensitive grossness, like a Cecil B. DeMille epic. If I rely so much on visual and filmic metaphors, it's because they apply so exactly. I've never made a Zep show, but friends (most of the type, admittedly, who will listen to anything so long's it's loud and they're destroyed) describe the thunderous, near-undifferentiated tidal wave of sound that doesn't engross but envelops to snuff any possible distraction.

Their third album deviates little from the track laid by the first two, even though they go acoustic on several numbers. Most of the acoustic stuff sounds like standard Zep graded down decibelwise, and the heavy blitzes could've been outtakes from Zeppelin II. In fact, when I first heard the album my main impression was the consistent anonymity of most of the songs -- no one could mistake the band, but no gimmicks stand out with any special outrageousness, as did the great, gleefully absurd Orangutang Plant-cum-wheezing guitar freakout that made "Whole Lotta Love" such a pulp classic. "Immigrant Song" comes closest, with its bulldozer rhythms and Bobby Plant's double-tracked wordless vocal croonings echoing behind the main vocal like some cannibal chorus wailing in the infernal light of a savage fertility rite. What's great about it, though, the Zep's special genius, is that the whole effect is so utterly two-dimensional and unreal. you could play it, as I did, while watching a pagan priestess performing the ritual dance of Ka before the flaming sacrificial altar in Fire Maidens of Outer Space with the TV sound turned off. And believe me, the Zep made my blood throb to those jungle rhythms even more frenziedly.

Unfortunately, precious little of Z III's remaining hysteria is as useful or as effectively melodramatic. "Friends" has a fine bitter acoustic lead, but gives itself over almost entirely to monotonously shrill Plant breast-beatings. Rob, give a listen to Iggy Stooge.

"Celebration Day" and "Out On the Tiles" are production-line Zep churners that no fan could fault and no one else could even hear without an effort, "Since I've Been Loving You" represents the obligatory slow and lethally dull seven-minute blues jam, and "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper" dedicates a bottleneck-&-shimmering echo-chamber vocal salad to a British minstrel who, I am told, leans more towards the music-hall tradition.

Much of the rest, after a couple of listenings to distinguish between songs, is not bad at all, because throughout the disc Zeppelin are at least creative enough to apply an occasional pleasing fillip to their uninspiring material, and professional enough to keep all their recorded work relatively clean and clear -- you can hear all the parts, which is more than you can say for many of their peers.

Finally I must mention a song called "That's the Way," because it's the first song they've ever done that has truly moved me. Son of a gun, it's beautiful. Above a very simple and appropriately everyday acoustic riff, Plant sings a touching picture of two youngsters who can no longer be playmates because one's parents and peers disapprove of the other because of long hair and being generally from "the dark side of town." The vocal is restrained for once -- in fact, Plant's intonations are as plaintively gentle as some of the Rascals' best ballad work -- and a perfectly modulated electronic drone wails in the background like melancholy harbor scows as the words fall soft as sooty snow: "And yesterday I saw you standing by the river / I read those tears that filled your eyes / And all the fish that lay in dirty water dying / Had they got you hypnotized?" Beautiful, and strangely enough Zep. As sage Berry declared eons ago, it shore goes to show you never can tell.

- Lester Bangs, Rolling Stone, 11/26/70.

TRACKS:

Side One

1. "Immigrant Song" (Jimmy Page/Robert Plant) 2:26

2. "Friends” (Page/Plant) 3:55

3. "Celebration Day” (John Paul Jones/Page/Plant) 3:29

4. "Since I've Been Loving You" (Jones/Page/Plant) 7:25

5. "Out on the Tiles" (John Bonham/Page/Plant) 4:04

Side Two

1. "Gallows Pole" ( Traditional, arr. Page/Plant) 4:58

2. "Tangerine" (Page) 3:12

3. "That's the Way" (Page/Plant) 5:38

4. "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" (Jones/Page/Plant) 4:20

5. "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper" (Traditional, arr. Charles Obscure) 3:41

October 6th

1966 - Jimmy Page-The Yardbirds-Birmingham,Straffordshire/Odeon Theatre

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana North American Tour-Ottawa/Civic Centre

1995 - Page & Plant-Unledded Tour- Sacramento, CA/Cal Expo Amphitheatre

2005 - Robert Plant-Mighty Rearranger World Tour-Dallas, TX./Nokia Live

‎7th Oct 1999, 'Stairway To Heaven' by Led Zeppelin was voted at No. 1 in Classic Rock magazines 'Ten Best... Songs Ever!' reader's poll. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen was voted in at No. 2 and 'Freebird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd was No. 3. Zeppelin also had 'Kashmir' at No. 23 and 'Whole Lotta Love' at No.30.

October 7th

1966 - Jimmy Page -The Yardbirds-Colston Hall/Bristol

1967 - Jimmy Page -The Yardbirds-Mt. Park, MA./Amusement Park Holyoke

1967 - Robert Plant-Band Of Joy-Sudgley, West Midlands-Sudgley Parish Hall**

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana North American Tour-Binghampton/Broome County Arena

1988 - Jimmy Page-Outrider Tour-Inglewood, CA/Great Western Forum

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Vancouver/Orpheum Theatre

1995 - Unledded North American Tour-Mountain View, CA./Shoreline Amphitheatre

2002- Robert Plant-European Tour-Deutschlandfuuk/Germany

http://www.guitarworld.com/jimmy-page-discusses-his-new-solo-album-outrider-and-more-1988-guitar-world-interview-part-1?page=0,1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihfZi081Kuk

‎8th Oct 1971, 'Led Zeppelin II' was enjoying its 100th week on the UK album charts. It was the band's first album to hit No.1 in the US, knocking The Beatles' 'Abbey Road' twice from the top spot, where it remained for seven weeks. When first released the album had advance orders of 400,000 copies in the USA, (the advertising campaign was built around the slogan 'Led Zeppelin II Now Flying').

Edited by Mudbugclub

October 8th

1966 - Jimmy Page-The Yardbirds-Cardiff, Wales/Capitol

1988 - Jimmy Page-Outrider Tour-San Diego, CA/SDSU Open Air Amphitheatre

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana North American Tour-Worcester/Centrum

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Eugene, OR./Hull Center

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma European Tour- Spuiplein, Den Haag, Netherlands Theater Spui - Zaal 1 Crossing Border Festival

2002 - Robert Plant-World Tour-Exeter University

2010 - Jason Bonham-JBLZE-Dawson Creek, BC/Encana Events Centre

October 9th

1966 - Jimmy Page -The Yardbirds-Southampton/Gaumont Theatre

1972 - Led Zeppelin - Osaka,Japan/Festival Hall

1995 - Unledded American Tour-Boise, ID./BSU Pavilion

1999 - Jimmy Page- Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ/NetAid

1999 - Robert Plant-Priory Of Brion-Ludlow/Ludlow Assembly Rooms

2002 - Robert Plant-European Tour-Saint Davids Hall

2010 - Jason Bonham- JBLZE-Prince George, BC/CN Centre

October 10th

1969 - Led Zeppelin-Paris, France/Olympia

1972 - Led Zeppelin-Kyoto,Japan/Kaikan Hall

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Mountainview, CA./Shoreline Amphitheatre

1995 - Unledded North American Tour-Salt Lake City, UT./Delta Center

2010- Jason Bonham- JBLZE-Kamloops, BC/Interior Savings Centre

October 11th

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana North American Tour-Hampton/Coliseum

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Sacramento, CA./Cal Expo

2002-Robert Plant-European Tour-Cambridge Corn Exchange

^^ The Cambridge Corn Exchange is a concert venue in Cambridge, England. The venue is recognised as one of the premier music and theatre venues in the United Kingdom. A less popular usage is as an examination hall for students at Cambridge University.

October 12th

1968-Jimmy Page-The Yardbirds-Beat Club, German TV Broadcast (recorded earlier)

1969 - Led Zeppelin-London,UK/The Lyceum Theatre

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana North American Tour-Richmond/Coliseum

1993 - Robert Plant- Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Concord, CA./The Pavillion

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma North American Tour-Northampton, MA./Pearl Street

1999 - Jimmy Page-The Black Crowes-New York, NY/Roseland Theater

2010 - Jason Bonham-JBLZE-Edmonton,AB/Northern Alberta Jubilee

2011 - Jason Bonham-JBLZE-Riverside, CA/Fox Performing Center - TONIGHT!!!

2011 - Robert Plant-Band Of Joy- Nashville, TN/Americana Music Festival (Awards Show on Thursday night at the infamous Ryman Auditorium where nominees such as Robert Plant, Mumford & Sons, and Justin Townes Earle are likely to make an appearance. See link below.)

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/nashville/2011/10/americana-music-festival-1012-1015/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=americana-music-festival-1012-1015

Edited by Deborah J

October 13th

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Los Angeles, CA/The Tonight Show

1995 - Page & Plant-Unledded North American Tour-Chicago, IL./United Center

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma North American Tour-New Haven, CT/Toads Place

1999 - Jimmy Page-The Black Crowes - New York, NY/Roseland Ballroom

2011 - Jason Bonham-JBLZE-Bakersfield, CA/Fox Theater...TONIGHT!!!

2011 - Robert Plant-Band of Joy-Nashville,TN/Americana Music Festival^^

Edited by Deborah J

October 14th

1966 - Jimmy Page-The Yardbirds-Borehamwood, North London/Elstree Film Studios

1988 - Jimmy Page-Outrider Tour-Kansas City, KS/Memorial Hall

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana North American Tour-Morgantown/West Virginia University Coliseum

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Las Vegas, NV./Ballys Event Center

1994 - Page & Plant - Unledded No Quarter released

1999 - Jimmy Page- The Black Crowes-New York, NY/Roseland Theater

2002 - Robert Plant-European Tour-Norwich University of East Anglia

2010 - Robert Plant-Band Of Joy European Tour-Stockholm, Sweden/Annext

2010 - Jason Bonham- JBLZE-Calgary, AB/Southern Alberta Jubilee

2011 - Jason Bonham- JBLZE-Los Angeles, CA/The Greek Theater..TONIGHT!!!

Edited by Deborah J

October 14th

2011 - Jason Bonham- JBLZE-Los Angeles, CA/The Greek Theater..TONIGHT!!!

With special guest Strider.

Actually, due to an emergency(not me, but a friend), I won't be making this concert after all. This is the third time in the last year I've had to miss Jason Bonham's LZE due to a medical issue. I guess it just isn't meant to be. :(

Edited by Strider

With special guest Strider.

Actually, due to an emergency(not me, but a friend), I won't be making this concert after all. This is the third time in the last year I've had to miss Jason Bonham's LZE due to a medical issue. I guess it just isn't meant to be. :(

so sorry to hear that, strider. you must be gutted. :(

Strider, I am sorry to hear the news. Hope your friend is OK^^

October 15th

1988 - Robert Plant-Now And Zen North American Tour-New Haven,CT./Coliseum

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana North America Tour-Greensboro/Colisium

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Santa Barbara/County Bowl

1995 - Page & Plant-Unledded North American Tour-Detriot/Palace of Auburn Hills

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma European Tour-Boston, MA./ Paradise

2002 - Robert Plant-European Tour-Birmingham Academy

2011 - Jason Bonham-JBLZE-Las Vegas, NV/Alliente Casi..TONIGHT!!!

16th Oct 2010,

Auburn University graduate student Justin Havird named a new species of fish, Lepidocephalichthys zeppelini, because the fish's pectoral fin reminded him of the double-neck guitar used by Jimmy Page.""I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan, and I was listening to them while I was working on the fish," Havird said. "The structure that makes this species unique just reminded me of the guitar that Jimmy Page played".

From http://www.facebook.com/thisdayinledzeppelin

October 16th

1993 - Robert PLant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-San Diego, CA./Open Air Theater

1995 - Page & Plant-Unledded North American Tour-Cleveland, OH./Gund Arena

1988 - Jimmy Page-Outrider Tour-Minneapolis, MN/Met Centre

1999 - Jimmy Page-The Black Crowes-Worcester, MA/The Centrum

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma North American Tour-New York/Irving Plaza

2010 - Robert Plant-Band Of Joy European Tour-Oslo, Norway/Sentrum Scene-TONIGHT!!

2010 - Jason Bonham-JBLZE-Regina,SK/Brandt Centre

October 17th

1969 - Led Zeppelin - New York, NY./Carnagie Hall

1988 - Jimmy Page-Outrider Tour-Chicago, IL/UIC Pavillion

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma Euopean Tour- Philidelphia, PA./Theater Of Living Arts

2002 - Robert Plant-European Tour- Leeds University

2010 - Jason Bonham -JBLZE - Winnipeg, MB/MYS Centre

2011 - Jason Bonham -JBLZE - Sacramento, CA/Crest Theatre...TONIGHT!!!

October 18th

1968 - Led Zeppelin-London, UK/Marquee

1969 - Led Zeppelin-Detroit, MI./Olympia Stadium

1988 - Robert Plant-Now and Zen North American Tour-Troy, MI./RPJ Fieldhouse

1990 - Robert Plant- Manic Nirvana North American Tour-Columbia/Carolina Coliseum

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Los Angeles, CA./Universal Amphitheater

1999 - Jimmy Page-The Black Crowes-Los Angeles, CA/The Greek Theatre

2000 - Robert Plant - Priory Of Brion-European Tour-Coventry/The Colosseum

2010 - Robert Plant-Band of Joy European Tour-Edinburgh/Usher Hall

2011 - Jason Bonham- JBLZE - Napa Valley, CA/Uptown Theatre...TONIGHT!!!

October 19th

1966 - Jimmy Page-The Yardbirds- Elstree, Hertfordshire, England/Elstree Studios - Top OF The Pops

1967 - Robert Plant - Constitution Hill, Birmingham, West Midlands, England/Penthouse Club

1968 - Led Zeppelin-Liverpool UK/Liverpool University

1969 - Led Zeppelin-Chicago, IL./Kinetic Playground

1988 - Jimmy Page-Outrider Tour- Cleveland, OH/Cleveland Public Hall

1993 - Robert PLant-Fate Of Nations North American Tour-Mesa/Mesa Amphitheater

1994 - John Paul Jones-European Tour w Diamanda Galas/Hamburg Germany/Grosse Freiheit

1995 - Page & Plant-Unledded North American Tour-Buffalo,NY./Memorial Auditorium Buffalo

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma North American Tour-Cleveland, OH./Odeon Concert Club

1999 - Jimmy Page - Los Angeles, CA/Greek Theatre

2000 - Robert Plant-Priory Of Brion European Tour-Milton Ketenes/The Woughton Centre

2010 - Jason Bonham-JBLZE-Minneapolis,MN./State Theater

October 20th

1966 - Robert Plant - Willenhall, West Midlands, England/Willenhall Baths Assembly Hall

1967 - Jimmy Page-The Yardbirds- San Antonio, TX/Pusi-Kat Club

1969 - Led Zeppelin - Seattle, WA/ Seattle Paramount Theatre

1988 - Robert Plant-Now And Zen N. American Tour&- Landover, MD/Capital Centre

1990 - Robert Plant-Manic Nirvana N. American Tour- St. Petersburg, FL/Suncoast Dome

1993 - Robert Plant-Fate Of Nations N. American Tour&- Universal City, CA/Universal Amphitheatre

1994 - John Paul Jones-European Tour with Diamanda Galas to promote The Sporting Life -Berlin, Germany/Metropol Theater

1999 - John Paul Jones-Zooma N. American Tour-Chicago, IL/Park West

2002 - Robert Plant-European Tour- Manchester, England/Manchester Apollo

2010 - Robert Plant Band Of Joy- Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England/ The Sage, Hall One

Edited by Deborah J