Drummers: Single skin (only top) or double skin (top & bottom)?

DMachine

" Obnxious overtones"... Must be the plastic.

It definately had a lot to do with the acrylic shells! They're much louder and resonate a lot more than other types of shells. The muddy overtones from when I was single headed on the lower toms was simular to almost feedback, if that makes sense. Kind of a humming ring that builds the more you play on them instead of dying out... Because the waves are also coming from the other toms as well. I have the same kit in Black Cortex wrap over 6-ply Maple and in Stainless Steel and the Stainless kit is beefier and more of a mellow tone like the wood by comparison... I expected it to be just the opossite!

LudwigOcta-TransformerPlusOutfit-1.jpg

For a while I had a pretty massive collection of Vintage Ludwigs but this cool recession thing helped me cure that habit! I used to call these three Octa-Plus kits my "Octa-Transformer Outfit"! A transformer toy for really big anal retentive kids - like ME!! Once at band practice I switched the drums out really quick during a smoke break just to see if they were paying attention and how long it would take them to say anything! All the toms are Ludwig's old Clip-Lok mounted so they tear down really quick! Only the guitar player KNEW! But was't positive what I WAS playing before! (Which is retarded because after I got the Amber kit sounding right - it and my Roland TD-20SX are all I play!!)

No suggestions on the snare buzzing scenario... It must be just something that you're overly conscience of because sometimes I have 2-3 snares a buzzing away while we play! They're off but you still hear them a bit. Matter of fact when you are editing the drum sounds on my Roland kit that is one of the settings that is available - how much it makes the snare buzz... LOL And makes the bass drum resonate, too...

CoolestRolandTd-20SX1.jpg

That`s quite the collection stixx. I stared at the photo for like 1/2 hour being jelous !! Then it dawned on me,...you got all the street sounds,...White buckets,...pots and pans,...hollow logs !!

Those SS are awsome, water proof, rust proof,...FIRE proof...Holy shit !! What does the rim taps sound like ? Are they 100% SS includeing the lugs , screws, casts.ect ect ??

That`s alot of dust`n !! My set gets cleaned every now and then cuz it sucks getting all the parts to shine. I gave up try`n to keep the cymbals shined, my hands produce too much sweat, and the tarnish don`t effect the sound. Mine, (75 or76 Sonor 9207 Phonics) never had laqure inside the shell, I wrote the Sonor company and they insist on Beeswax, Natural not synthetic.. Cleaning my own thoroughly helped me to understand how they are assembled and how incredibly well built/designed they are !! They`ll be going to my son !!

Stixx,...What`s the guage on those SS shells ?? I would imagine 32 guage or 16 cuz any thicker and they`d weigh a ton !!

Man... To be honest, I haven't got a clue as to what guage of material they're made out of... But I can tell you for sure - having owned both personally - the Vintage Ludwigs are: HEAVIER, STURDIER and SOUND BETTER than the new ones that Ronn Dunnett makes for Ludwig now!

LudwigStainlessSteelBonhamKit2-1.jpg

The old Ludwigs have a 1/2" lip that's bent back at a 45 just like a bearing edge would be so it resists pressure or being flattened, if you will, better for starters! Ludwig's are HEAVY!! 1/3 heavier in weight I'm guessing! Ronn has no bearing edge - it's flat metal welded together and the sharp edges smoothed out! If the bass drum was sold by Ludwig with a tom mount on it, they put a metal plate inside that attached to 8 lugs and the tom mount to add strength... Ronn uses a piece of 6-ply wood shell inside instead! (You would want to stick with the WHITE heads if you know what I'm getting at!) He does the same inside by the spurs, too. They sound OK, but not as much low end "BEEFINESS" as the Ludwigs! For the record... Big "COLLECTORS" item - only 100 kits! So... I paid $3600 for mine and sold it for $3200 when I was laid off last year and Sam Ash in Vegas here STILL has one they can't sell!

As for the hardware it's just the same typical cast lugs they always used. They make two types! Long or Short Classic Lugs they call them! My SS Octa-Plus has short lugs but the Classic Toms have long...?? Go figure!

OK Bonzo Stixx, you guys are my new heros! Great sets you guys have. And here I am struggling to put my old Ludwig back in a decent, playable shape! :D

For about three years straight when I moved out here to Las Vegas - I was working in a steel storage yard 10 hours a day, 7 days a week... Had it pretty good until this recession hit and EVERYTHING stopped in Vegas! I had a lot of time to shop on eBay while unloading trucks with a fork lift and I was like a vulture cruisin' the Ludwig & Paiste aisles on eBay! Buying tons of shit cheap and restoring it... Keeping what I liked and reselling the rest!

RestoredBlackVistaliteOcta-PlusOutfit.jpg

I bought this on eBay (not looking like that of course!) for $425 - drums, crap cymbals, stands, pedals cases and all... Spent a month of Sundays wet sanding all of the scratches out of it but it was just like the 1980 Ludwig Catalog photo when I got done!!

Bro! Great looking kit! One of these days I'm going to have a killer DW kit! Like the natural wood... Beautiful set, brother!!

Thanks, man. You've got some collection, I've seen drum shops with less stuff! Here's a different pic of my DWs, they're actually Champagne, not natural wood.

Picture274.jpg

Thanks, man. You've got some collection, I've seen drum shops with less stuff! Here's a different pic of my DWs, they're actually Champagne, not natural wood.

Picture274.jpg

Oh, yeah! I can see clearly now (as the song goes...) Is that a vintage, hammered Black Beauty with the long tube lugs - or are my eyes just blurring what I see that makes t look hammered...??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

For about three years straight when I moved out here to Las Vegas - I was working in a steel storage yard 10 hours a day, 7 days a week... Had it pretty good until this recession hit and EVERYTHING stopped in Vegas! I had a lot of time to shop on eBay while unloading trucks with a fork lift and I was like a vulture cruisin' the Ludwig & Paiste aisles on eBay! Buying tons of shit cheap and restoring it... Keeping what I liked and reselling the rest!

RestoredBlackVistaliteOcta-PlusOutfit.jp

I bought this on eBay (not looking like that of course!) for $425 - drums, crap cymbals, stands, pedals cases and all... Spent a month of Sundays wet sanding all of the scratches out of it but it was just like the 1980 Ludwig Catalog photo when I got done!!

I remember as an 18 year old, getting that catalog in the mail and almost dying when I saw that kit.....I thought it was the most awesome kit ever....I scrimped and saved and finally, after about 6 or 7 years, it was sitting in my living room...I was happy as a pig in shit......I babied that kit for years....never gigged it...moved it in cases whenever I moved....stored it when I lived in apartments....polished, shined....it was my dream kit.....now...here I am....52 years old....totally drumless....had this kit, a Roland TD20, a 1970 Dodge Challenger and a few other odds and ends...livin' the dream.....but thanks to the bitch and her legal team....gone...all of it...now, I'm in a one bedroom apartment with a laptop and a MIDI controller to play with....lol...what a sad story, huh?...I miss this kit immensely....and people wonder why I drink... :-)

post-26252-0-42454100-1383053951_thumb.j

Archived