Me, Buddy Rich, and Robert Plant (kind of...)

Hello,

My name's Eric, I've been more of a lurker here, but still a huge fan (first saw Page in '88 on the Outrider tour and all Zep related tours since then). I thought you might enjoy this story.

I had put together some videos of me and Buddy Rich playing drum solos side-by-side a few years ago. Most of you know Buddy was one of John Bonhams favorites, and Robert is a fan, too. When Robert was touring behind Raising Sand in Detroit, I was able to meet him before he left for the venue and show him the videos on my iPod. He thought I was there for an autograph, and I handed him my DVDs. I said, I know youre a fan of Buddy Rich, Roberts like Yeah. Hes reading my liner notes and he asks me How did you do this? and I explained and then we watched a bit of the videos and he said afterward good job, man. I wrote these quotes down asap! Super nice guy, the exchange was only a few minutes, but I'll always appreciate it. I gave him some copies of my DVD's, he shook my hand and said Thanks, and he was off. I have similar stories about Zak Starkey and Dave Grohl, too. Ive been super lucky fortunate to meet my musical heroes.

I'm interviewed in the April issue of Modern Drummer about these DVD's and if you want to check out the videos, they're on the www.moderndrummer.com homepage. I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks for reading.

-Eric

Hello,

My name's Eric, I've been more of a lurker here, but still a huge fan (first saw Page in '88 on the Outrider tour and all Zep related tours since then). I thought you might enjoy this story.

I had put together some videos of me and Buddy Rich playing drum solos side-by-side a few years ago. Most of you know Buddy was one of John Bonham's favorites, and Robert is a fan, too. When Robert was touring behind Raising Sand in Detroit, I was able to meet him before he left for the venue and show him the videos on my iPod. He thought I was there for an autograph, and I handed him my DVD's. I said, I know you're a fan of Buddy Rich, Robert's like "Yeah." He's reading my liner notes and he asks me "How did you do this?" and I explained and then we watched a bit of the videos and he said afterward "good job, man." I wrote these quotes down asap! Super nice guy, the exchange was only a few minutes, but I'll always appreciate it. I gave him some copies of my DVD's, he shook my hand and said "Thanks", and he was off. I have similar stories about Zak Starkey and Dave Grohl, too. I've been super lucky fortunate to meet my musical heroes.

I'm interviewed in the April issue of Modern Drummer about these DVD's and if you want to check out the videos, they're on the www.moderndrummer.com homepage. I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks for reading.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Awesome mate, really liked what you have done, you have some amazing talent there, pssssst, any chance you could do the same with Moby Dick? :D

Regards, Danny

i really enjoyed the videos'. eric. you don't highstick like buddy, but you got the beats, friend. you also reminded me how much i love buddy rich. i'm off to my record collection right now....

wow, that's cool!

do you perform around Detroit?

i would pay to see you, for sure.

one thing that puzzled me is that

i had never see Buddy use matched grip.

in fact i remember articles in MD where

he defended traditional and attacked anyone

who played with a matched grip style.

Oh well, you learn something new every day.

Hello,

Zak Starkey and Dave Grohl, too. I’ve been super lucky fortunate to meet my musical heroes.

-Eric

Eric, can you share your story of seeing Jimmy on the outrider tour on the Outrider thread? I love to hear the stories and what people remember. Thanks in adavance.

Hi Eric,

Awesome mate, really liked what you have done, you have some amazing talent there, pssssst, any chance you could do the same with Moby Dick? :D

Regards, Danny

Thanks for checking it out, Danny, I appreciate it! I do have a Bonzo one completed, it's more of an instructional DVD, hopefully something will come of it.

i really enjoyed the videos'. eric. you don't highstick like buddy, but you got the beats, friend. you also reminded me how much i love buddy rich. i'm off to my record collection right now....

Buddy was the best! There is some lens curvature in Buddy's footage, you can see some distortion of the stick making it appear like he's way up there. I tried to replicate that, too...but not enough in the budget.

wow, that's cool!

do you perform around Detroit?

i would pay to see you, for sure.

one thing that puzzled me is that

i had never see Buddy use matched grip.

in fact i remember articles in MD where

he defended traditional and attacked anyone

who played with a matched grip style.

Oh well, you learn something new every day.

Yeah, there's a video on YouTube of him explaining why he doesn't like matched grip, he was full of contradictions.

I play in a couple of rock bands in Detroit, Radar Pilot and Space Nelson. Radar Pilot is playing March 20 at the Belmont in Hamtramck. Thanks!

Hello Eric,

I really liked the first video clip when you are side by side with Buddy. How great that you met Robert and exchanged a few good words with him. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it was an amazing experience, really nice guy! Thanks for checking out the videos.

Eric, can you share your story of seeing Jimmy on the outrider tour on the Outrider thread? I love to hear the stories and what people remember. Thanks in adavance.

For sure!

-Eric

Archived