J. Geils

Detigers09

What happened to the J. Geils band during the 80s?? My entire life I've completely written them off after hearing "Centerfold" and "Love Stinks"; I thought they were just another crappy 80's metal band. But after hearing some of their early 70's stuff, "Whammer Jammer," "Hard Driving Man," etc., and even a lot of blues stuff, it seems like they were a great band back in the day. What happened to them? Why did they decide to completely change their sound to sound like every other 80's band? Did their lineup change or anything? Or was it just the changing times?

What happened to the J. Geils band during the 80s?? My entire life I've completely written them off after hearing "Centerfold" and "Love Stinks"; I thought they were just another crappy 80's metal band. But after hearing some of their early 70's stuff, "Whammer Jammer," "Hard Driving Man," etc., and even a lot of blues stuff, it seems like they were a great band back in the day. What happened to them? Why did they decide to completely change their sound to sound like every other 80's band? Did their lineup change or anything? Or was it just the changing times?

MTV would be the obvious default answer.

I like all of their early stuff, and they were a wonderful live show also.

They musta got lost. :mellow:

Heard Peter Wolf's new single yet? If not, by all means take just a couple minutes and check it out here.

Hello Jahfin!

I saw J Geils in the early 80's and they were terrible live, quite a few of us actually walked out of the concert. Now I like his music. Have you heard this?

2002 CD Sleepless, Peter Wolf (Waylon Jennings and Mick Jagger) Nothing But The Wheel

Edited by Deborah J

"Centerfold" and "Love Stinks" made you think they were metal????? :blink:

hate to sound like a "done everything" kinda guy, but i did see J. Geils Band around late 73 or early 74 at some small venue in Detroit. Masonic Temple, i think. Can't remember cuz those wuz my stoner days. But anyway, they put on one of the best live performances i've ever seen. 1-1/2 hours of non-stop, shake em down and rattle the walls, boogie. Peter Wolf was every bit as exciting as Jagger (imo) and Magic Dick is probably the best harp player in rock.

The rest of the group was so tight you couldn't have put a piece of paper between them. Never saw them again although they played Detroit frequently. I don't care for the 80's stuff they did, but hell, they got a nice payday out of it.

Hi all,

The were originally called The J Geils Blues Band.Peter Wolf was the night time DJ at WBCN,which was the original rock station in Boston in the 60's.(Which was also one of the first stations in the US to play LZ 1 ;) ) J. Geils is the name of the guitar player.

After the -love stinks-centerfold- MTV era,the band broke up,the drummer had to quit music for health reasons,...

And yes the new Peter Wolf song is great!

KB

Hello Jahfin!

I saw J Geils in the early 80's and they were terrible live, quite a few of us actually walked out of the concert. Now I like his music. Have you heard this?

2002 CD Sleepless, Peter Wolf (Waylon Jennings and Mick Jagger) Nothing But The Wheel

Yes, I have. I've sung the praises of Sleepless here many times. It's a great, great record. Not sure if those credits are correct for Nothing But the Wheel, I thought it was Mick and Keith. I had no idea Waylon played on the album.

There's another cool version of Nothing But the Wheel on Jim Miller's (formerly of Donna the Buffalo) Herd I'm Drinkin' album.

the early stuff was great.........began "re" listening to it last year

got news for you guys.........everything blew in the 80s.....everyone thought they had to be gary freaking numan..........and lame ass bands like def leppard or whitesnake were burning up the airways

spose freezeframe is about par with 'heaven knows' on the muzak scale when it comes right down to it

i can listen

got news for you guys.........everything blew in the 80s.....everyone thought they had to be gary freaking numan..........and lame ass bands like def leppard or whitesnake were burning up the airways

Everything "blew" in the 80s? There were plenty of artists who didn't fit the very narrow mold you describe. One of the biggest misconceptions about the 80s is that every song was marred by drum machines, synthesizers and the performers were all about putting style above substance due to the evils of MTV. Not true. There are so many exceptions to this it would be impossible to name them all but a few would be Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, X, R.E.M., the Replacements, U2, Los Lobos, John Prine, John Hiatt, The Cure, etc.

Edited by Jahfin

Everything "blew" in the 80s? There were plenty of artists who didn't fit the very narrow mold you describe. One of the biggest misconceptions about the 80s is that every song was by marred drum machines, synthesizers and the performers were all about putting style above substance due to the evils of MTV. Not true. There are so many exceptions to this it would be impossible to name them all but a few would be Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, X, R.E.M., the Replacements, U2, Los Lobos, John Prine, John Hiatt, The Cure, etc.

Tell em Jahfin. There is a lot of great music from the 80's. Some people just can't see that.

Tell em Jahfin. There is a lot of great music from the 80's. Some people just can't see that.

Seems so many folks here tend to discount the 80s which isn't surprising since they're usually the same ones that believe nothing can surpass music that was made during the 60s & 70s. Those that live in the past are doomed to repeat it. I'd prefer to be challenged than forever be confined to my comfort zone.

• 1 year later...

Everything "blew" in the 80s? There were plenty of artists who didn't fit the very narrow mold you describe. One of the biggest misconceptions about the 80s is that every song was marred by drum machines, synthesizers and the performers were all about putting style above substance due to the evils of MTV. Not true. There are so many exceptions to this it would be impossible to name them all but a few would be Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, X, R.E.M., the Replacements, U2, Los Lobos, John Prine, John Hiatt, The Cure, etc.

Not to mention Metallica, Megadeth, slayer, testament. There was more to music in the 80's than top 40 radio crap.