The R&R Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies

danelectro59

Since there hasn't been a thread posted on it yet, i'm taking it as no.

Or, it was watched but not many were impressed by the performances or the honorees.

I'm guilty of the latter. I watched nearly the whole thing and if they had not had Iggy and the Stooges, i would have been totally bored out of my gourd. The start of the show has Phish honoring Genesis by doing a couple of songs, one of which was No Reply. Seriously, a lounge band could have done a better job. What a totally weak performance. And to top it off, the members of Genesis looked like they would rather be anywhere else then in that room. I know that Banks and Rutherford have always been proper English chaps and kept their reserve, but Collins has always been a cut up, and he looked not only bored but kinda pissed off. It was good to see Steve Hackett there, and like everyone else, i wanted Peter Gabriel to stand on the stage next to his former mates, but for whatever reason it was not to be.

The Stooges induction was rather emotional for me. I first saw this group as a 13 year old punk at a place north of Pontiac MI called The Silverbell. It was a former ski lodge that held concerts every Friday and Saturday for a couple of years and most of the local groups like the MC5, Rationals, Bob Seger System and Ted Nugent would play there. It was special when the Stooges would be there. The place only held a couple of hundred people comfortably, but Iggy and the boys would draw twice the legal capacity. We would always get there early to get right up front, and the first time I saw Iggy, he ran from the side of the stage and dove right into the front row knocking people on their asses. I was terrified, but i truly loved it. I would go on to see him at various venues over the next few years at least a couple of dozen times and have been a life long devoted fan. It was sad that original guitarist Ron Asheton, or original bassist Dave Alexander couldn't be there to accept, but i'm sure they were in spirit. btw, great show they put on after the speeches, which were gut wrenching as well. To me, they were the only ones that evening that looked as if they truly were moved by the moment. The rest of the evening was rather lackluster, except the Hollies who reminded me of the drunk uncles at a wedding reception trying to sing a song. What a joke that was.

Since there hasn't been a thread posted on it yet, i'm taking it as no.

Or, it was watched but not many were impressed by the performances or the honorees.

I'm guilty of the latter. I watched nearly the whole thing and if they had not had Iggy and the Stooges, i would have been totally bored out of my gourd. The start of the show has Phish honoring Genesis by doing a couple of songs, one of which was No Reply. Seriously, a lounge band could have done a better job. What a totally weak performance. And to top it off, the members of Genesis looked like they would rather be anywhere else then in that room. I know that Banks and Rutherford have always been proper English chaps and kept their reserve, but Collins has always been a cut up, and he looked not only bored but kinda pissed off. It was good to see Steve Hackett there, and like everyone else, i wanted Peter Gabriel to stand on the stage next to his former mates, but for whatever reason it was not to be.

The Stooges induction was rather emotional for me. I first saw this group as a 13 year old punk at a place north of Pontiac MI called The Silverbell. It was a former ski lodge that held concerts every Friday and Saturday for a couple of years and most of the local groups like the MC5, Rationals, Bob Seger System and Ted Nugent would play there. It was special when the Stooges would be there. The place only held a couple of hundred people comfortably, but Iggy and the boys would draw twice the legal capacity. We would always get there early to get right up front, and the first time I saw Iggy, he ran from the side of the stage and dove right into the front row knocking people on their asses. I was terrified, but i truly loved it. I would go on to see him at various venues over the next few years at least a couple of dozen times and have been a life long devoted fan. It was sad that original guitarist Ron Asheton, or original bassist Dave Alexander couldn't be there to accept, but i'm sure they were in spirit. btw, great show they put on after the speeches, which were gut wrenching as well. To me, they were the only ones that evening that looked as if they truly were moved by the moment. The rest of the evening was rather lackluster, except the Hollies who reminded me of the drunk uncles at a wedding reception trying to sing a song. What a joke that was.

Thanks for the heads up danelectro59' I think i'll give it a miss then. ;)

Regards, Danny

I haven't seen it. I hope they rerun it, because I happened to phone my dad (who was inducted last year, with The Ventures) and got a running commentary on how bad it was. And my dad is such a geezer sometimes, he was going on and on about how tacky it was for Iggy to fip the audience off... haha. That's rock 'n roll, dad! I had to remind him Johnny Cash did that years before Iggy or anyone else ever even thought of it. (In fact, isn't Cash the originator of that gesture at concerts? Or at least the popularizer? There oughta be a reference book on the history of the bird! :))

Staci Layne

From Last Year's Ceremony with Jimmy

Nothing can top last year's Induction Ceremony where Jimmy inducted Jeff Beck and Metallica were inducted by Flea.

It was great that it was in Cleveland and that us commoners had access to see the inductees and the ceremony in person. It was very exciting!

I just ran across the above link which has great pictures (some by Ross) from last year's ceremony. I wanted to share for the benefit of all the newbies who may have missed it last year. smile.gif

The final jam with all of those guitar heroes playing together was a dream come true!

This year's ceremony held in New York City was very anti-climactic in comparison.

I don't see why The Stooges get so much praise here on this forum? I had never heard of them before, and found their performance in this ceremony an embarrassment to any form of music. The Hollies induction was long overdue, and I enjoyed their classic "Long Cool Woman" with the Springsteen guitarist.

I don't see why The Stooges get so much praise here on this forum? I had never heard of them before, and found their performance in this ceremony an embarrassment to any form of music.

I didn't see the performance, nor am I much of a fan of either the Stooges or Pop but they belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame without a doubt.

I didn't see the performance, nor am I much of a fan of either the Stooges or Pop but they belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame without a doubt.

Based purely on attitude, and influencing the rest of the punk genre? At least most other controversial nominees into the H.O.F. possessed some degree of instrumental, vocal, or song structure talent - or at least attained musically competent outside assistance in delivering their goods.

Based purely on attitude, and influencing the rest of the punk genre? At least most other controversial nominees into the H.O.F. possessed some degree of instrumental, vocal, or song structure talent - or at least attained musically competent outside assistance in delivering their goods.

that's a matter of opinion Jimmie Ray. You saw the Stooges in their 60's. In their 20's, they were mesmerizing. Of course, ya' have to like that kind of music.

As I said, I haven't seen their performance, nor am a devout fan but they belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame because they were one of many artists that have been influential not only to punk rock but rock n' roll in general. Then again, you also have to consider this is the same place that inducted Madonna as a member. The Stooges most definitely belong, McDonna doesn't.

neither does Blondie

Blondie most definitely belongs in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. They were a huge part of putting post-punk/new wave on the map along with Talking Heads, the Ramones, and most every other band that played CBGB's back in the day.

Blondie most definitely belongs in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. They were a huge part of putting post-punk/new wave on the map along with Talking Heads, the Ramones, and most every other band that played CBGB's back in the day.

sorry, but i don't agree with ya' partner. Call Me, Heart of Glass and Tide is High are catchy tunes, but doesn't make much of a difference in the direction of music. Of course, i'm sure Debbie Harry was a close friend of Jann Wenner, so you know where that leads. Of all the CBGB bands, the one they forgot should be included, and that's Television with Richard Hell. He started the whole punk clothing revolution with his safety pinned shirts. Consider that almost as much as The Beatles and long hair.

I agree with you 100% about Blondie, Jahfin.

And Madonna does not belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. I believe that she became so powerful in the music industry that they were just sucking up to her when they inducted her into the RRHOF. Her music is NOT rock and roll, it is pure pop/dance music. Nothing "rock" about it. She may have been inflluential in the music industry, but she had absolutely no influence in the genre of rock and roll music.

Do they make that distinction in the RRHOF? I mean, I have no idea personally who's in there and who isn't, but have they inducted other performers who could be considered pop or something other than rock and roll?

Yes, and it's a fine line. Someone's definition of "rock n' roll" may include Madonna but mine doesn't. Neither does Donna Summer.

Archived