Lyric Malfunction

Plant/Page

I wrote a song, well, parts of a song. I'm ready to throw some lyrics in there, I all ready got the guitar down. So...how do I do it? How do I write lyrics? It seems everytime I try I sound like a bad attempt at being the Foo Fighters.

Any advice or tips, techniques, ect. are much appreciated.

Work at it - write about 1000 words on the subject you want to cover, then go through & look for a few phrases that you like. It's sort of putting off the editing until after you've done the writing, if you see what I mean? Trying to do both at once can mess you up.

I wrote a song, well, parts of a song. I'm ready to throw some lyrics in there, I all ready got the guitar down. So...how do I do it? How do I write lyrics? It seems everytime I try I sound like a bad attempt at being the Foo Fighters.

This is something we cant say for sure, it is your song yes?

Well, I'm not a song writer but I have wrote some poetry. Find some inspiration in something you feel strongly about. Write down anything that comes to mind. You can rearrange the words or sentences later to have the thoughts flow better. Have fun.

If your song has got a story to tell or a point to prove then thats all the better.

I try not to fall for all the cliches.I'm a bit pernickety myself.For amusement,i sometimes try to rhyme words which have different types of spelling e.g hay and weigh.

I'm not saying that i'm good at it but i try my best.If any body asked me to,i would try my best there as well.

When I write lyrics I try to be as original as possible without sounding too off-topic. You may find it nessesary to spend alot of time thinking about it. I once spent 2 hours looking for a decent line (1 line!). I try to avoid using first-thing-you-would-think-of words and phrases (like rhyming "die" with "why" or "cry" or "sky"). Try not to to be off topic and talking about nothing. If you're at a loss of words, look up some random phrase generators for some new ideas, maybe scroll through a dictonary, look for online rhming dictionarys, online thesauruses, etc.

Hope I helped and best of luck. cool.gif

Archived