live bass and keys at the same time?

prestomusic

Howdy!

I recently bought the Led Zepplin DVD, and I have to say that is some very impressive footage! What a treasure. After being totally blown away by it, I havea question and hope that someone might have an answer.

When JPJ is playing keys, who is on bass? I can hear bass in the mix for sure. Can't see a 5th member sneak on stage, and I can't imagine it was on a backing track because of how improvised their live performances were.

Not looking for theories, have plenty of my own. I'm hoping someone actually knows what he deal was here?

peace

presto

Howdy!

I recently bought the Led Zepplin DVD, and I have to say that is some very impressive footage! What a treasure. After being totally blown away by it, I havea question and hope that someone might have an answer.

When JPJ is playing keys, who is on bass? I can hear bass in the mix for sure. Can't see a 5th member sneak on stage, and I can't imagine it was on a backing track because of how improvised their live performances were.

Not looking for theories, have plenty of my own. I'm hoping someone actually knows what he deal was here?

peace

presto

No doubt it has been discussed somewhere else on the forum but, Jonesy played bass with his foot pedals.

Check out the Earls Court concert video.

When Jonsey was playing keys, mandolin, or guitar, he played the bass with his feet using bass pedals. They're basically a set of enlarged piano keys which can be played with the feet. When stepped on, they play the bass note.

Watch the video at around 5:50. You can see Jonsey make good use of his bass pedals. B)

To the OP, yes John Paul Jone's used the ever popular foot peddles for low tones while he was playing key's live.

You also should know that there are very few live Video's that are not re-recorded, or at least part's of the audio have been replaced in the studio after ward's. Just watch Led Zeppelin's, "The Song Remains The Same" film and you will see what I mean. There's lot's and lot's of edit's and over dub's in the original soundtrack, it would be next to imposable to get a perfect recording from a broadcast truck in those day's!

Many of the new act's are taking bit's from different show's and editing/remixing the best of the bunch for the live Disc. You can tell a real live recording from the way it sound's, most all of what you see on live TV is truly live, it's vary obvious by the quality (not to good) that you get. Broadcast's heavy compressor's and limiter's make's it sound like your hearing it from a mile away! TV's are not really designed for the full bandwidth audio that you have on normal music program media, just for spoken word and or post-produced TV and movie soundtrack's.

Thanks for the replies, I did try a search but didn't come up with anything...

Bass pedals, of course! From someone who actually played the organ when I was a kid, I should've picked that. Hadn't quite got up the Earls Court footage on the DVD, but will keep an eye out.

Cheers

presto

Thanks for the replies, I did try a search but didn't come up with anything...

Bass pedals, of course! From someone who actually played the organ when I was a kid, I should've picked that. Hadn't quite got up the Earls Court footage on the DVD, but will keep an eye out.

Cheers

presto

Here they are man...

• 3 weeks later...

Along the same lines, Ray Manzarek from The Doors played a Fender Keyboard bass in live performances since The Doors never used a bass player live (for whatever reason- their live sound would have really benefited from one IMO.) Back in the seventies Mike Rutherford from Genesis used Jonesy-style bass pedals quite a bit when playing the 12 string on his Rickenbacker bass/12 string doubleneck.

Bass pedals have a hell of a lot of low end to 'em...real arena shakers, they are!

• 2 weeks later...

as an added thought was the edge who really brought the dual instument thing to life with me back with "new years day".............when...........back in the good ole days............he really did play keyboards andddddddddddddddddd...........not bass............but guitar

was kinda cool at the timecool.gif

jonesy using the foot pedals is quite apparent on one of the earls court dvds........escapes me just where though

as an added thought was the edge who really brought the dual instument thing to life with me back with "new years day".............when...........back in the good ole days............he really did play keyboards andddddddddddddddddd...........not bass............but guitar

was kinda cool at the timecool.gif

jonesy using the foot pedals is quite apparent on one of the earls court dvds........escapes me just where though

That's The Way

Archived