Live Aid or Atlantic Records

Trashbag

Live Aid or Atlantic Records  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which reunion was "better"?

• Live Aid
    • Atlantic Records

Whoa... good poll. They were both pretty bad, haha. If I had to choose though, I'd go with Atlantic Records purely because it was Jase on the drums and not Phil Collins and Tim Thompson who hadn't rehearsed or knew the songs.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction was the best of all three. But Atlantic, at least, they kept the groove together with Jason on drums. Collins and Thompson were clueless and underrehearsed (not their fault, mind you).

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction was the best of all three. But Atlantic, at least, they kept the groove together with Jason on drums. Collins and Thompson were clueless and underrehearsed (not their fault, mind you).

Atlantic was unrehearsed too, yet, Jason could do what both of them couldn't.

I didn't include the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, because they actually sounded pretty decent there.

As far as Live Aid went, at least Thompson had some idea what was going on. Collins seemed to be playing completely different songs than the rest of the group (especially Stairway).

I still would love to hear a good recording of -kashmir from the atlantic records 40th... i have heard folks post that it sounded good in the garden, but the tv/radio broadcasts were so bad, keyboards way lost. I think the atlantic 40th was better, there was some spirit there. Even with the shacky performance -misty mountain hop was great to hear. I guess it was a record industry thing....but i dont think they should have done stairway either times. They could have done 2 or 3 shorter songs and it would have made more of an impact for the moment, the real zeppelin fans and the causes they regrouped for.

The thing with Led Zeppelin is, what makes that band good, is that each of the members grew together musically and they understand eachother so well, again, musically. That's why any old drummer just will not do, but, Jason... he's a different story. He may not have grown with the band, but he's studied them and been around them enough to delve himself passionately in head-first. He's the man for the job, always will be.

Phil Collins? Stick to singing. Tim Thompson? Stick to whatever it is you do.

The thing with Led Zeppelin is, what makes that band good, is that each of the members grew together musically and they understand eachother so well, again, musically. That's why any old drummer just will not do, but, Jason... he's a different story. He may not have grown with the band, but he's studied them and been around them enough to delve himself passionately in head-first. He's the man for the job, always will be.

Phil Collins? Stick to singing. Tim Thompson? Stick to whatever it is you do.

I agree totally, but -stairway is a song to play with a touring unit, not a one off show...

I know -led zep is on a higher level in the music world, but -stairway is not some definative song for them...they were a rock band, they should have showed off their rock band capabilities, page had his riffs going on those shows, fuck the solos. imo

Phil Collins? Stick to singing.
Actually, I wish he would stick to drumming and give up the mic. He's really a fantastic drummer. I have at least 30 live Genesis shows, all their old lp's, and all the lp's from Brand X. Phil is by and large one of the most talented drummers in the business.

Phil has also openly admitted that being such a Zep fan, he knew what he was getting himself into, but when he actually was onstage with them, he was starstruck and became a fan onstage and got lost in the moment ...and lost in the songs. btw, I LOVE his playing on Plant's early solo albums! Tasty drumming right there!!

here's a rare clip of Phil's old fusion group in the 70's featuring the incredible Percy Jones on fretless bass and John Godsall on guitar. Phil is no slouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmP8NC2EOLE

and here's some of my favorite audio from them....I have NO IDEA what the F the video is about but the music is Brand X from the studio. Yes that's Phil Collins on drums!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzZbrjSM5s

How about "none of the above" as a choice. Page played a sweet solo on STH at Live Aid, but that's about the only highlight I've heard.

He played pretty good considering how trashed he was. Wonder what they were drinking and snorting backstage. I remember how well Clapton did Layla at that concert. Collins was good on his own until he stunk up the joint on drums for Zeppelin. He was clueless on Rock and Roll. didnt the man ever fucking hear it before? I could have hit two garbage cans with a stick and one arm tied behind my back and sounded better. But give it to Jiimmy, did pretty good for being as messed up as he was.

"Tim Thompson? Stick to whatever it is you do"

That'll be Tony Thompson, maybe? He was the drummer in Chic, who I'm sure you've heard of.

He also drummed on the first [only?]Power Station record. I seem to recall that he was invited to rehearsals/jamming sessions with Zep,after Bonham's death. I think these were at Clearwell Castle. He had a car crash after a few days and the whole thing fell apart. So, if I'm remembering correctly, "Tim" Thompson got part of the way, at least, to being a member of Zep. I think it's fair to say that at the time he was at least considered as a possible drummer for the band.

Of course, if any of this is wrong, I'm in the right place to get a swift and polite correction...

"Tim Thompson? Stick to whatever it is you do"

That'll be Tony Thompson, maybe? He was the drummer in Chic, who I'm sure you've heard of.

He also drummed on the first [only?]Power Station record. I seem to recall that he was invited to rehearsals/jamming sessions with Zep,after Bonham's death. I think these were at Clearwell Castle. He had a car crash after a few days and the whole thing fell apart. So, if I'm remembering correctly, "Tim" Thompson got part of the way, at least, to being a member of Zep. I think it's fair to say that at the time he was at least considered as a possible drummer for the band.

Of course, if any of this is wrong, I'm in the right place to get a swift and polite correction...

I have heard of that.

And I do think that Phil Collins is a good drummer. Just not at that particular moment.

I have heard of that.

And I do think that Phil Collins is a good drummer. Just not at that particular moment.

Thanks. Seemed unlikely that I'd make it up but as I was typing, I had doubts. I think that may have been because there seems to be the impression now that Jason B is the only person who could drum with Zep. I happen to think he's the right one but the T. Thompson thing is an odd detail that seems poignant now.

Phil C is a mighty fine drummer .Your last sentence is spot-on.

Thanks. Seemed unlikely that I'd make it up but as I was typing, I had doubts. I think that may have been because there seems to be the impression now that Jason B is the only person who could drum with Zep. I happen to think he's the right one but the T. Thompson thing is an odd detail that seems poignant now.

Phil C is a mighty fine drummer .Your last sentence is spot-on.

Tony Thompson is correct, please pardon my ignorance, lol.

Great debate! nice one

Think that Live Aid was an amazing concept and the pressure on the guys to perform and get it right must have been massive. does anyone remembering watching it in the uk? it was very late and i think unlike the mtv usa broadcast there was no talking over the start of rock n roll!

the Atlantic do was much better, i saw plant a month earlier in london and the gig was great and he did 3 led zeps tracks think in the evening and 2 from p.graf?. there is a nice drum sound almost dark, quite nice.

as for The 1995 R&R Hall Of fame

i found this is a bit noisy and chaotic

probably why led zep generally dont let other people on stage to help them out!

then again they all seemed to enjoy it and get on with each other which is important.

i have a hunch think there will be guests onstage at the o2 do...

I was at both but it's hard to say. Musically the Atlantic show was more together but there was something magical about Live Aid. Partly the day itself was so incredible but for me, it was the first time I had seen any of them. I just remember tears in my eyes. I had waited a lifetime (okay at that time it wasn't so many years :lol: ) to see them and there they were.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought Live Aid was atrocious with Plant prancing around in that awful 80's jumpsuit. I haven't seen it in ages but if memory serves, it was bad all around!! Of course, I'm biased to the Atlantic Records concert because I was there! In the 400 section directly across from the stage, the sound was not great. Not to mention it was a 12-hour indoor concert and I was tired by the time they came on. Still, it was exciting to be there and Stairway was definitively the highlight for me: "Does anyone remember...laughter?!" He didn't sing that line at the O2... :(

EDIT: Ok, I just googled some photos from Live Aid and Robert was not wearing a jumpsuit. Still, his attire was very 80s new wave and although I haven't seen the footage lately, I don't remember any of the swagger and bravado of the Zep daze.

Archived