Robert Plant & The Band of Joy To Tour USA

sam_webmaster

You're kidding. It was one of his best shows ever--he came on just after 9 and they played till 10.50, and were absolutely on fire the whole night. It was ALL Robert, unlike the tour with Krauss--there were a couple of numbers on which he sang harmony, and that's it. Front and center the rest of the time, singing songs like Tangerine, fercrissakes! :) I was at Dallas the night before, and the audience at Houston were totally energized the entire time. Well, except some, obviously. :lol: Amazing how people can have such different perceptions.

Oh, and regarding the earlier point about the length of his solo career and his performance of Zep songs--perhaps that's why he performs a lot more NON-Zep songs at his shows? They're in the minority, by far, if you look at the set-lists.

I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, I did like it and loved seeing and hearing Robert sing and I really enjoyed the solo by the guy who played banjo, mandolin, etc. (can't remember his name) but for some reason I was left still wanting.

Maybe I'm more of a purest than I thought, I did enjoy the remade versions of the Zep tunes and LOVED hearing Robert sing them, but I have to be honest, I guess I want the real thing. The reworked versions are a bit of a tease. And, I did feel like this was a rushed show, this was the 4th concert I saw this summer and by far the shortest stage time of them all.

Well, people have different tastes, obviously, but he was there as Robert Plant, not as Led Zeppelin, and this was actually one of his longer shows.

I TOTALLY agree! It was a great show. I've already posted my review of the show in the "Tour" thread, but I agree with you Aqua, it was a long show and the crowd was rocking. He played for an hour and fifty minutes and I enjoyed every single second of it. I hope Robert felt the energy in Houston because it was certainly clear from where I was sitting! :thumbsup:

I did enjoy the remade versions of the Zep tunes and LOVED hearing Robert sing them, but I have to be honest, I guess I want the real thing.

You want something that ceased to exist 30 years ago, which explains why you still feel wanting.

I've been listening Memphis and Phoenix show I got from friend.....unfortunately, just doesn't work for me....he is in good mood and really enjoying singing new tunes, but......most of the new songs are not standing out.....just too flat for me....they are not bad, but doesn't really make me to go listening them again and again......reworked Zeppelin songs just doesn't work for me at all....those songs...you are playing them in original versions or you don't playing them at all.....why does he playing so many of them when he has more solo albums then Zeppelin albums?... I guess, people are interested more to listen Zeppelin material...he is so proud of his solo career, he should sing only solo songs....Peter Gabriel never sings genesis songs on his shows.....

just seen Bad Company last night in Atlanta....rocking show....Paul Rodgers's voice was so strong....he aged so well....no rockabilly, nothing tuned down, just pure rock and roll.....too bad Robert can't to give us something like that....

I've made this point before, but I'll make it again--look at the set-list. Zep songs are way in the minority. And hey, he does something new with old material to keep it interesting, sounds like a good idea to me. If you show up expecting Zeppelin circa 1977, of course you're going to be disappointed.

You want something that ceased to exist 30 years ago, which explains why you still feel wanting.

You're probably right. I said it before and I'll say it again, "You can't go back home." I believe I even said this on this thread, taking up for Robert and his new direction.

I went to the show with an open mind and open heart. I did enjoy it, was rocking out like everyone else but at the end I did feel somewhat of an emptiness and sadness, even though I felt privileged to have gone and been in the presence of one of my idols. I guess like you stated, even though I enjoyed the show, it made me realize that it's done, it's over, it's just a wonderful memory, I long for something that will never be. I guess in a way this concert brought that realization to the forefront. I guess in a way, I'm a bit in mourning. I'm filled with a lot of mixed emotions. And, as for the time, it was probably my perception on the length of the show. It was like bringing a starving person that has been in the desert for 30+ years and saying you can only eat for 1 hr. 50 min. before being thrown back in the desert. I wanted more!!!!!!!!

I knew I was going to get beat up for posting my opinions and thoughts here, but I guess I was hoping . . . . . I don't know what I was hoping, a sympathetic ear maybe, I don't know.

I don't understand the fear of getting "beat up" by words on a forum. Speak your mind!

I've read elsewhere of those reluctant to post, worried about someone jumping on them opposing their opinions.

Don't be a WIMP! Say what you feel, positive or negative and be strong in your views. If you have to retract, do it, but go ahead and shoot from the hip. Speaking freely is so dynamic and elicits more response and makes for a more active and exciting forum.

Trying to keep within a "PC" environment makes for a dull discussion board. Fire away with passion!!

I knew I was going to get beat up for posting my opinions and thoughts here, but I guess I was hoping . . . . . I don't know what I was hoping, a sympathetic ear maybe, I don't know.

Why do you expect any "sympathy" when all the "facts" about the show you reported are false? It wasn't a short show, there wasn't any lack of interaction between Robert and the crowd, and the set wasn't rushed in any way.

You knew what songs he was going to play beforehand, there were video clips and recordings from other shows available if you were curious about the new band and its sound. Did you expect Robert to walk on stage in a light blue blouse with a dove in one hand and a Newcastle Brown Ale in the other just for the good people of Houston?

By the way - you're supposed to leave a concert wanting more. That's every entertainer's goal.

I'm not sure who's less deserving of sympathy, you or that other dim bulb who was in the ladies room yacking on her cell phone during the concert. Why do people pay good money to attend a concert and spend most of their time on the phone? And don't get me started on the nimrod Bad Co fan who expected Robert to remain firmly grounded in the past like Paul Rodgers and his bad rug. Unbelievable....

Why do you expect any "sympathy" when all the "facts" about the show you reported are false? It wasn't a short show, there wasn't any lack of interaction between Robert and the crowd, and the set wasn't rushed in any way.

You knew what songs he was going to play beforehand, there were video clips and recordings from other shows available if you were curious about the new band and its sound. Did you expect Robert to walk on stage in a light blue blouse with a dove in one hand and a Newcastle Brown Ale in the other just for the good people of Houston?

By the way - you're supposed to leave a concert wanting more. That's every entertainer's goal.

I'm not sure who's less deserving of sympathy, you or that other dim bulb who was in the ladies room yacking on her cell phone during the concert. Why do people pay good money to attend a concert and spend most of their time on the phone? And don't get me started on the nimrod Bad Co fan who expected Robert to remain firmly grounded in the past like Paul Rodgers and his bad rug. Unbelievable....

Hey, I reported the facts from MY PERSPECTIVE! I was the one there, were you?????? I know what I FELT and the energy I FELT. If I want to lament on being a tad disappointed about the show than I have every right to.

And, FYI, don't assume anything about me, I saw every youtube clip posted about the show, I went in knowing what to expect. I went in with an open mind. Have you even read any of my past posts?????? I DID NOT expect him to come out on stage with a light blue shirt and a dove in one hand and a Newcastle Brown Ale in another. That is a stupid assumption on your part. I even took up for his new sound - as I said it before I'll say it again, I felt a tad let down. This concert made me realize that I'm a Zeppelin purest. I want to hear Zeppelin played like it was meant to be played. Hard core Rock and Roll. I know he can do it, there were shades of it at the Saturday night concert, a teasing of it, if you will. I wish he would stop fiddle farting (no pun intended) around and just do it.

• Administrators

New Robert Plant Single On Air Tonight

'Angel Dance', the first single from Robert Plant's brand new studio album Band Of Joy, will be given its first airing on the Planet Rock UK station tonight. The song is the album opener from the new record and will be given it's first spin on the station in Nicky's show after 6pm.

Band Of Joy is released on 13 September and is the follow up to 2007's Alison Krauss collaboration album, Raising Sand.

robertplant.com/news/new-robert-plant-single-on-air-tonight/

I'm not sure who's less deserving of sympathy, you or that other dim bulb who was in the ladies room yacking on her cell phone during the concert.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess I really was asking for it. I should have remembered that as the saying goes, if you want sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. You've just proven that statement to be true.

Hey, I reported the facts from MY PERSPECTIVE! I was the one there, were you?????? I know what I FELT and the energy I FELT. If I want to lament on being a tad disappointed about the show than I have every right to.

And, FYI, don't assume anything about me, I saw every youtube clip posted about the show, I went in knowing what to expect. I went in with an open mind. Have you even read any of my past posts?????? I DID NOT expect him to come out on stage with a light blue shirt and a dove in one hand and a Newcastle Brown Ale in another. That is a stupid assumption on your part. I even took up for his new sound - as I said it before I'll say it again, I felt a tad let down. This concert made me realize that I'm a Zeppelin purest. I want to hear Zeppelin played like it was meant to be played. Hard core Rock and Roll. I know he can do it, there were shades of it at the Saturday night concert, a teasing of it, if you will. I wish he would stop fiddle farting (no pun intended) around and just do it.

And all of your "facts" are wrong, and your perspective is distorted. And you can't spell for sh*t. It's purist. Not purest. And even worse than being a bad speller, you quote yourself, which as I was just saying the other day, is the most sure fire way to identify a completely hopeless narcissist.

In the future, I hope someone invents a mind scanning device that can be used to ban people like you from not only attending live shows, but also from buying tickets. Maybe Ticketmaster can come up with something that beams out from their Website and identifies nitwits who think they will like a show, but really won't. Like an eye scan or something like that.

You should have been stopped. There's got to be a way to keep people like you from taking up a seat at a show and whining about it online afterwards. Steve A. Jones is a genius - maybe he can come up with something.

Love,

Billy

"And don't get me started on the nimrod Bad Co fan who expected Robert to remain firmly grounded in the past like Paul Rodgers and his bad rug. Unbelievable....."

yes, I am Bad Company fan but way out more Zeppelin fan.....I have just wanted to say that Paul Rodgers still singing with same power and passion like 30-40 years ago and I would say even better then then....he is in the past?...how they should play "Ready for love", " Good Lovin' gone bad", "Burnin'Sky".....in rockabily, reagge, punk versions?....original on don't play it at all....like Robert is not in past....almost all those songs are covers of tunes made even before Zeppelin....reworked so he could hit the notes and now he is so fresh....give me a break...

I am HUGE Zeppelin fan...named my son after Robert Plant.....but what is doing now is just flat...and mentioned Bad Company just because they still rocking

And all of your "facts" are wrong, and your perspective is distorted. And you can't spell for sh*t. It's purist. Not purest. And even worse than being a bad speller, you quote yourself, which as I was just saying the other day, is the most sure fire way to identify a completely hopeless narcissist.

In the future, I hope someone invents a mind scanning device that can be used to ban people like you from not only attending live shows, but also from buying tickets. Maybe Ticketmaster can come up with something that beams out from their Website and identifies nitwits who think they will like a show, but really won't. Like an eye scan or something like that.

You should have been stopped. There's got to be a way to keep people like you from taking up a seat at a show and whining about it online afterwards. Steve A. Jones is a genius - maybe he can come up with something.

Love,

Billy

You know what? I'm not stooping you your level. You're an a-hole and I'm not going to be baited by the likes of some miserable little gnat like you.

Have a nice day! :)

'Angel Dance', the first single from Robert Plant's brand new studio album Band Of Joy, will be given its first airing on the Planet Rock UK station tonight. The song is the album opener from the new record and will be given it's first spin on the station in Nicky's show after 6pm.

Band Of Joy is released on 13 September and is the follow up to 2007's Alison Krauss collaboration album, Raising Sand.

Thanks Sam.This is great!! I have the station on now:-)

It's getting ready to start!!!!

Archived