Your Opinion of Rap

MMAharaja

Rap is seeping into other forms of music and the record buying public is soaking in up. An example of this is the Stones "Rain Fall Down" from their Bigger Bang album.

That says more about Mick Jagger than rap. Mick Jagger hasn't met too many bandwagons he wouldn't jump on. In the early 70's glam was in so he starts dressing like Marc Bolan & Bowie. Reggae becomes popular at the same time so The Stones knock off a couple of crappy versions of their own. Funk becomes big in the mid 70's so they do funk knock offs. Disco becomes big so they do knockoffs of that as well. Mick Jagger is obsessed with looking young & relevant, and when he puts hip hop beats into his songs it only shows how old & out of touch he really is because he can't pull it off. The only good song off of "Bigger Bang" was "Back Of My Hand", a stripped down blues song that only featured Mick, Keith, & Charlie. That's what he's good at & that's what he should stick to.

If you read my comment, my whole comment, I'm not equating it with anything, but don't try to tell me that many others wouldn't. The equation is in the eye of the beholder, just like the primate pictures.

I don't equate rap with much of anything, other than maybe farting on vinyl cushions. That will be the next big thing in pop music. You may laugh, but don't come crying to me when the price of vinyl goes up because of it.

The rest of your comment - "your whole comment" - was just a weak backhanded insult about how rap "gets the rhythm out of whack", whatever the fuck that means.

My original statement stands - YOU are the one making the association with stereotypes and blaming it on "rap".

Don't try to distance yourself from your racism, embrace it.

It's what you really feel, so go with it.

It's better than all the backtracking you're now doing trying to excuse away or re-define your comments.

And it's not like this is a physical conversation where we could have mis-heard the words you spoke.

Your words are right there for everyone to read.

That says more about Mick Jagger than rap. Mick Jagger hasn't met too many bandwagons he wouldn't jump on. In the early 70's glam was in so he starts dressing like Marc Bolan & Bowie. Reggae becomes popular at the same time so The Stones knock off a couple of crappy versions of their own. Funk becomes big in the mid 70's so they do funk knock offs. Disco becomes big so they do knockoffs of that as well. Mick Jagger is obsessed with looking young & relevant, and when he puts hip hop beats into his songs it only shows how old & out of touch he really is because he can't pull it off. The only good song off of "Bigger Bang" was "Back Of My Hand", a stripped down blues song that only featured Mick, Keith, & Charlie. That's what he's good at & that's what he should stick to.

Yeah, that's probably what I hate the most about rap is that so many of the otherwise non rap artists can't resist cashing in on it. I'm not sure about the glam rock thing, my friend who's been into the Stones since 1964 says that he always though Bowie's Ziggy Stardust was just copying Keith Richards' look of the late 60's-early 70's, especially Keith's look from the 69 tour.

The rest of your comment - "your whole comment" - was just a weak backhanded insult about how rap "gets the rhythm out of whack", whatever the fuck that means.

My original statement stands - YOU are the one making the association with stereotypes and blaming it on "rap".

Don't try to distance yourself from your racism, embrace it.

It's what you really feel, so go with it.

It's better than all the backtracking you're now doing trying to excuse away or re-define your comments.

And it's not like this is a physical conversation where we could have mis-heard the words you spoke.

Your words are right there for everyone to read.

Looks like my "rhythm out of whack" comment was too technical for you.....you truly have been listening to rap too long. Maybe you should try listening to more of Keith Richards guitar playing. For my money, he's the best rhythm man out there.

No thats exactly what you did, equate an entire genre with an entire racing having a "gift of rhythm", you then stated you disliked the rhythm's they created but that really doesnt have any impact on the previous comment.

The primate picture was a single direct refference between black people and apes and the end of the sequence of images atempting to show displeasure at black culture. The two are not at all alike and your just digging yourself into a hole trying to stand up for a rather unsavoury poster.

There's more to not being a racist than not making references to primates and not making racial slurs. I know people who do all that petty stuff and I would still trust them to treat blacks with more respect when push comes to shove than many of those who are so quick to accuse others of being racist for doing so.

There's more to not being a racist than not making references to primates and not making racial slurs. I know people who do all that petty stuff and I would still trust them to treat blacks with more respect when push comes to shove than many of those who are so quick to accuse others of being racist for doing so.

Yeah he can't carry a tune but might have the best rythm in rock.

http://www.keithrich...in_some_hi.html

Yeah he can't carry a tune but might have the best rythm in rock.

http://www.keithrich...in_some_hi.html

One of life's little ironies. I also read somewhere that he had perfect pitch from an early age. :lol: But just listen to his rhythm on things like "Little Queenie" and "Dance Little Sister" and then see if you can do it with the same effect.

BTW: That chimpanzee sort of looks like Keith, so maybe there's something to this monkey business. :Thinking:

Looks like my "rhythm out of whack" comment was too technical for you.....you truly have been listening to rap too long. Maybe you should try listening to more of Keith Richards guitar playing. For my money, he's the best rhythm man out there.

Your poorly-used sarcasm is further indication of your unadulterated buffoonery.

rhythm [rith-uhm]

–noun

1. movement or procedure with uniform or patterned recurrence of a beat, accent, or the like.

2.Music the pattern of regular or irregular pulses caused in music by the occurrence of strong and weak melodic and harmonic beats.

You're trying to make an analogy about rhythm by comparing Keith Richards' guitar-playing to rap music?

WTF?

But your obsession with all things Rolling Stones helps explain your close-minded opinions.

Most people who obsess over a particular band usually have a pretty myopic outlook on things, often to the point of irrationality.

I bet The Stones would definitely win in a cage-match with The Terminator, Predator, and Chuck Norris.

See, your irrational perspective prevents you from recognizing that Chuck Norris would win, hands-down.

I do, however, notice you avoid my original observation that you made an offensive stereotype comment and tried to weasel your way out of it claiming that's not what you meant.

Racism – it's not just for rednecks anymore!

Your poorly-used sarcasm is further indication of your unadulterated buffoonery.

You're trying to make an analogy about rhythm by comparing Keith Richards' guitar-playing to rap music?

WTF?

But your obsession with all things Rolling Stones helps explain your close-minded opinions.

Most people who obsess over a particular band usually have a pretty myopic outlook on things, often to the point of irrationality.

See, your irrational perspective prevents you from recognizing that Chuck Norris would win, hands-down.

I do, however, notice you avoid my original observation that you made an offensive stereotype comment and tried to weasel your way out of it claiming that's not what you meant.

Racism – it's not just for rednecks anymore!

I use the Stones as an example because I know their music. Many rap fans seem to think that anyone who hates rap hasn't heard it at it's best and then they recommend that you listen to the biggest racists in the business.

You obviously have more free time than I do, so you're going to love this:

The truth is, the main reason a black person would be offended my being compared to a primate is because he or she may see to point of the comparison, just like the other night on Jay Leno when someone had a picture of a fish that looked like Jay. But that's not discriminating, it's making an observation. There's many rappers who, because of their behavior, body posture, speech and their rap itself, are the last ones who should be whining about racism, because their whole life seems to revolve around it and provoking a fight over it.

Like I said before, I know people who I'm sure will say many things that someone like you would use to accuse them of being racist, but when push comes to shove, I would trust them to give blacks a better shake at life than any of those politically correct speech watch dogs out there.

I use the Stones as an example because I know their music. Many rap fans seem to think that anyone who hates rap hasn't heard it at it's best and then they recommend that you listen to the biggest racists in the business.

You obviously have more free time than I do, so you're going to love this:

The truth is, the main reason a black person would be offended my being compared to a primate is because he or she may see to point of the comparison, just like the other night on Jay Leno when someone had a picture of a fish that looked like Jay. But that's not discriminating, it's making an observation. There's many rappers who, because of their behavior, body posture, speech and their rap itself, are the last ones who should be whining about racism, because their whole life seems to revolve around it and provoking a fight over it.

Like I said before, I know people who I'm sure will say many things that someone like you would use to accuse them of being racist, but when push comes to shove, I would trust them to give blacks a better shake at life than any of those politically correct speech watch dogs out there.

Oh, if it's true it's not racist, huh?

Responding to you is an exercise in futility.

You don't even bother to understand what someone has said to you, obviously because you're so much more concerned with what you have to say.

But then, I knew you were a flaming asshat back when you said cigarette smokers should be killed/shot.

My bad for expecting any more out of you than the ignorant, intellectually inverted bullshit you consistently spew in this and other threads.

Oh, if it's true it's not racist, huh?

That's beautiful!

Responding to you is an exercise in futility.

You don't even bother to understand what someone has said to you, obviously because you're so much more concerned with what you have to say.

But then, I knew you were a flaming asshat back when you said cigarette smokers should be killed/shot.

My bad for expecting any more out of you than the ignorant, intellectually inverted bullshit you consistently spew in this and other threads.

You're chasing your own tail. Your arguments are simple cliches. You don't have anything new to say. If someone gives you an argument that isn't a cliche, an argument that you have never heard before, you miss the point entirely and view it as radicalism.

Yeah, that's probably what I hate the most about rap is that so many of the otherwise non rap artists can't resist cashing in on it. I'm not sure about the glam rock thing, my friend who's been into the Stones since 1964 says that he always though Bowie's Ziggy Stardust was just copying Keith Richards' look of the late 60's-early 70's, especially Keith's look from the 69 tour.

On the Stones '73 tour of Europe & Australia is when Jagger started his whole glam look. The promo's of the Stones on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert from 73-74 really show this, especially on "Ain't Too Proud To Beg". If Jagger wasn't channeling David Johannsen then he was channeling a South American hooker. As far a Bowie & Richards, I can see it a little, especially in Ziggy/Keith's hair. The main inspirations for the Ziggy character were Alvin Stardust, Vince Taylor, & a mime performer whose name escapes me at the moment.

That's beautiful!

You're chasing your own tail. Your arguments are simple cliches. You don't have anything new to say. If someone gives you an argument that isn't a cliche, an argument that you have never heard before, you miss the point entirely and view it as radicalism.

A discussion with you is like talking to Brick Tamland...

Brian Fantana: Where is the suit store? We've been walking for forty-five minutes.

Champ Kind: Brick, I thought you said this was a shortcut.

Brick Tamland: Fantastic!

Ron Burgundy: Well, is it a shortcut or not?

Brick Tamland: Okay!

9075.jpg

On the Stones '73 tour of Europe & Australia is when Jagger started his whole glam look. The promo's of the Stones on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert from 73-74 really show this, especially on "Ain't Too Proud To Beg". If Jagger wasn't channeling David Johannsen then he was channeling a South American hooker. As far a Bowie & Richards, I can see it a little, especially in Ziggy/Keith's hair. The main inspirations for the Ziggy character were Alvin Stardust, Vince Taylor, & a mime performer whose name escapes me at the moment.

I've got those videos from the IT'S ONLY ROCK N' ROLL album and the ones from GOATS HEAD SOAP also on a bootleg DVD.

"South American Hooker"....That's funny. I've always taken Jagger's antics with a grain of salt. I never followed Bowie, so I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

I have not read any of these posts of this topic, however, I feel that I have to reply. I almost absolutely despise the whole concept and sound of "rap" music. In my opinion, 95% of rap music is just plain computerised drum machines (with a "clap") and some rapper singing lyrics that rhyme. There is absouletly no "musicianship" involved at all. In my opinion, EVERY rap song sounds the Fucking same. That is why I despise it so much. It gives me a Fucking Headache whenever I hear it. And I mean all "rap" music that has come out in the last 20 years. (I know this because my younger Brother is into this Bullshit music) and I constantly have to tell him how much I hate this shit.

However, I will make one exception. I do like Niggas With Attitude (NWA) "Straight Outta Compton". This to me is and reaking music because it was released in 1989. Obviously nothing compared to Led Zeppelin, even hough I have read interviews with Ice Cube and Dr. Dre that say that they were influenced by the "mighyy Led Zeppelin".

I have not read any of these posts of this topic, however, I feel that I have to reply. I almost absolutely despise the whole concept and sound of "rap" music. In my opinion, 95% of rap music is just plain computerised drum machines (with a "clap") and some rapper singing lyrics that rhyme. There is absouletly no "musicianship" involved at all. In my opinion, EVERY rap song sounds the Fucking same. That is why I despise it so much. It gives me a Fucking Headache whenever I hear it. And I mean all "rap" music that has come out in the last 20 years. (I know this because my younger Brother is into this Bullshit music) and I constantly have to tell him how much I hate this shit.

However, I will make one exception. I do like Niggas With Attitude (NWA) "Straight Outta Compton". This to me is and reaking music because it was released in 1989. Obviously nothing compared to Led Zeppelin, even hough I have read interviews with Ice Cube and Dr. Dre that say that they were influenced by the "mighy Led Zeppelin".

Sorry for the double posts and the couple of misspelled words. I blame some of it on the Budweiser I have consumed and alot of it on (again) how much Rap and Hip Hop Music just really does not make sense and really irratates me.

However, I will make one exception. I do like Niggas With Attitude (NWA) "Straight Outta Compton". This to me is and reaking music because it was released in 1989. Obviously nothing compared to Led Zeppelin, even hough I have read interviews with Ice Cube and Dr. Dre that say that they were influenced by the "mighy Led Zeppelin".

Yeah, well then you're not a rap hating purest like I am. :)

I have thought of a good name for a rap artist: DD Dork Ass

• 2 months later...

Rap and hip hop are the two types of music that I do not listen to. It's the same ol', same ol' BS........It's too reliant on the urban decay of the English language on over kill of techno effects. My mind is too big of a place for such non-sense. The kids think that they are cool for being into it, when they are actually conforming to mediocrity.

Make's the "disco sucks" campaign of the 70's pale in comparison of what we are faced with today!

I like some rap, but it's not something I listen to on a regular basis. I do not hate it as a rule, but I disrespect the industry which it has thrived in. the rap I listen to is mostly Wu-Tang Clan, which is a group of nine rappers (well one of them died, and they've been using an affiliate as the next major MC, but he's not always considered an official member). There are some rappers who I despise (Soulja Boy), but I'm not going to denounce the whole genre based on them. I dislike the use of samples and beats, especially when it lacks creativity. That's basically all I have to say: some of it's good, some of it's bad. You won't see me buying an Eminem album, but you won't hear me bitching too loud about him either.

Back in the late 70s and 80s, rap (hip hop) was so different. It was something new, something positive, mostly harmless and fun. I did like rap as a teenager. However, things have gone from one end to the other with that genre. I do not like it anymore. There may be a song or two that I could deal with, but on the whole, I am not a fan of today's rap.

Archived