Wife Selling in Merry old England

The Rover

The English custom of wife selling was a way of ending an unsatisfactory marriage by mutual agreement that began in the late 17th century, when divorce was a practical impossibility for all but the very wealthiest. After parading his wife with a halter around her neck, arm, or waist, a husband would publicly auction her to the highest bidder.

Until the passing of the Marriage Act of 1753, a formal ceremony of marriage before a clergyman was not a legal requirement in England, and marriages were unregistered. All that was required was for both parties to agree to the union, so long as each had reached the legal age of consent, which was 12 for girls and 14 for boys. Women were completely subordinated to their husbands after marriage, the husband and wife becoming one legal entity, a legal status known as coverture. As the eminent English judge Sir William Blackstone wrote in 1753: "the very being, or legal existence of the woman, is suspended during the marriage, or at least is consolidated and incorporated into that of her husband: under whose wing, protection and cover, she performs everything". Married women could not own property in their own right, and were indeed themselves the property of their husbands. Blackstone went on to observe though that "even the disabilities the wife lies under are, for the most part, intended for her protection and benefit. So great a favourite is the female sex of the laws of England".

Prices paid for wives varied considerably, from a high of £100 plus £25 each for her two children in a sale of 1865 (equivalent to about £10,800 as of 2010) to a low of a glass of ale, or even free. The lowest amount of money exchanged was three farthings (three-quarters of one penny), but the usual price seems to have been between 2s. 6d. and 5 shillings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_selling

The English custom of wife selling was a way of ending an unsatisfactory marriage by mutual agreement that began in the late 17th century, when divorce was a practical impossibility for all but the very wealthiest. After parading his wife with a halter around her neck, arm, or waist, a husband would publicly auction her to the highest bidder.

Until the passing of the Marriage Act of 1753, a formal ceremony of marriage before a clergyman was not a legal requirement in England, and marriages were unregistered. All that was required was for both parties to agree to the union, so long as each had reached the legal age of consent, which was 12 for girls and 14 for boys. Women were completely subordinated to their husbands after marriage, the husband and wife becoming one legal entity, a legal status known as coverture. As the eminent English judge Sir William Blackstone wrote in 1753: "the very being, or legal existence of the woman, is suspended during the marriage, or at least is consolidated and incorporated into that of her husband: under whose wing, protection and cover, she performs everything". Married women could not own property in their own right, and were indeed themselves the property of their husbands. Blackstone went on to observe though that "even the disabilities the wife lies under are, for the most part, intended for her protection and benefit. So great a favourite is the female sex of the laws of England".

Prices paid for wives varied considerably, from a high of £100 plus £25 each for her two children in a sale of 1865 (equivalent to about £10,800 as of 2010) to a low of a glass of ale, or even free. The lowest amount of money exchanged was three farthings (three-quarters of one penny), but the usual price seems to have been between 2s. 6d. and 5 shillings.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Wife_selling

Hi 'The Rover'

Wow, the idea of selling my wife? not on your life mate, but i might exchange her for a night out with Jimmy, :o OK who wouldn't? and no I'm not gay but i am open to anything to get to see my "God" i would even consider throwing in the three Kids (they are goats now) that i got as an dowry for her.

Regards, Danny

PS, maybe we could have an auction on this site of any unwanted, tainted, re-bored, worn out, knackered, or useless wives, or maybe we might just want a change?

We could post a picture of our wives with a full list of former owners, and a doctors full MOT certificate stating defects and possible ailments and infections that she either had or has, and see what offers we all get for them.

Of course all you ladies could do the same with your men, or women for that matter. :lol:

You know, it's not a bad idea ! I'm tired of my wife just wanting me for my body :o Sometimes, I just wanna talk huh.gif

tongue.gif:lol:

Hi Ally,

She talks her mouth off too me mate. :o:lol:

If you ever need an ear mate just PM me on www.billyknowmates.co.uk or www.wiveswontlisten.com you know it makes sense. ;)

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Ally,

She talks her mouth off too me mate. ohmy.giflaugh.gif

If you ever need an ear mate just PM me on www.billyknowmates.co.uk or www.wiveswontlisten.com you know it makes sense. wink.gif

Kind Regards, Danny

www.wiveswontlisten has been around since Eve ate that apple. It used to be a secret society of men who met in bars and dark corners but once it was approved by Oprah, it's become more mainstream bubble.gif

Archived