The Ramones......

Walesdad

I reckon so.I've got into them late,mainly thanks to my twenty year old daughter who loves them,but I can't stop playing the 'Anthology'double cd.I defy anyone not to feel just a bit better after hearing stuff like 'Beat On The Brat','Sheena Is A Punk Rocker' or 'California Sun'.Any other fans of da brudders out there?One,two,three,four.......

I love The Ramones. One of my favorite bands for sure. While they have they're number of in your face punk songs, they also have some great ballads. Songs such as "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend","Babysitter", "Here Today Gone Tomorrow", "Danny Says" and "7-11" are underrated gems. :thumbsup:

The first 3 Ramones albums when Tommy was still a member are essential for any punk rock collection. So many great songs. Dee Dee Ramone was a perverted genuis lyrically. Completely off the wall. I just re-read his autobiography again recently. A great read from someone who could barely string together a sentence, lol, but it's true. Not only are they among the greatest American bands but they are undoubtly the greatest New York band ever. The Ramones are just steeped in New York City in a way that even The Velvet Underground couldn't be, even though I do like the Velvets better as a band.

The Ramones are definately among the great American "bands" like the already mentioned Velvet Underground, Creedence Clearwater Revival, R.E.M., Van Halen, The Byrds, The Stooges, The Beach Boys, & The Pixies. All those bands mentioned are seminal & rock music would have sounded different, as in boring, without them.

great band.

had the pleasure of seeing them in a small club in E. Lansing, Michigan back in 77 or 78.

they played a 1-1/2 hour non stop set that by the end was so loud i thought my ears were bleeding.

I really wish I'd seen them around that time,they did play about forty five miles from my hometown around about '76 but I didn't bother.Regretted it ever since.

I love The Ramones. One of my favorite bands for sure. While they have they're number of in your face punk songs, they also have some great ballads. Songs such as "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend","Babysitter", "Here Today Gone Tomorrow", "Danny Says" and "7-11" are underrated gems. :thumbsup:

Totally agree friend,so much more to them than wham,bam,etc,etc.

• 7 years later...

Bumping a long dead thread because The Ramones are one of my all time favorite bands. Their first three albums are amazing and essential for anyone who is a punk fan or just a fan of pure rock and roll. I know some say they overstayed their welcome by putting out mediocre albums in the 80s and 90s, but there are still great songs scattered throughout their discography right to the very end. And even then, they still put out great albums like Pleasant Dreams (VERY underrated) and Too Tough to Die. Agreed with the person above who said Dee Dee was a twisted lyrical genius. But above all, they had a great sense of melody. Somehow they managed to make stuff like "I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You" sound catchy as hell even though it was just three lines repeating over and over. So catchy in fact that you almost wished the songs went on for longer.

Great live band too:

I have to say I find them to be absolutely awful.

I'm not surprised there are only about 7 or 8 people like them on a Led Zeppelin forum, one band of geniuses, another who sound like a group of teenagers picking up musical instruments for the first time.

I usually have to leave the pub when Blitzkrieg Bop comes on the Jukebox, what a fucking racket.

On April 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM, kaiser said:

The first 3 Ramones albums when Tommy was still a member are essential for any punk rock collection. So many great songs. Dee Dee Ramone was a perverted genuis lyrically. Completely off the wall. I just re-read his autobiography again recently. A great read from someone who could barely string together a sentence, lol, but it's true. Not only are they among the greatest American bands but they are undoubtly the greatest New York band ever. The Ramones are just steeped in New York City in a way that even The Velvet Underground couldn't be, even though I do like the Velvets better as a band.

The Ramones are definately among the great American "bands" like the already mentioned Velvet Underground, Creedence Clearwater Revival, R.E.M., Van Halen, The Byrds, The Stooges, The Beach Boys, & The Pixies. All those bands mentioned are seminal & rock music would have sounded different, as in boring, without them.

Agreed

i actually discovered the ramones after my fascination with the grateful dead, phish, widespread panic....suddenly i was old and could hear it all, if that makes any sense...i had to reboot my appreciation for music and the ramones were the band that sounded good to me. 

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...