Recording with a VHzS video recorder

roblindblad

I've used a VHS video recorder for recording jam sessions as the sound quality is as good as reel to reel due to the size of the tape. Add a mixer for more than two instruments and there you have a high quality recording studio at a bargain basement price.

I've used a VHS video recorder for recording jam sessions as the sound quality is as good as reel to reel due to the size of the tape. Add a mixer for more than two instruments and there you have a high quality recording studio at a bargain basement price.

I have noticed both the head size, and the nice sound quality. I've never tried recording to VHS with a mixer, and I think thats a great idea. I'll bet if you run the tape at it's fastest speed you can hit it with a lot of sound.

Yeah. good idea man. I like it. Good for the practice space.

S-VHS is what Alesis used in there ADAT studio recorder's, the converters are much better than the one's on a standard VHS machine. Tascam used Hi-8 tape's for there "D" machine's at that time to, The Alesis deck's had a better low end response because the wider tape was better at storing the longer wave length's. It was also good at losing time code as it ran slower than the Tascam deck's, as long as you only used one you wouldn't have any of that trouble.

Back in the late 1980's a buddy of mine would record audio on to his JVC HiFi VCR, not bad a sound for what he was working with. FWIW many of the new digital recorder's around today (even the lower cost one's) are much better at reproducing sound and will never fade because of the tape getting old.

I've got a 4-track cassette recorder that I still use for remote that is until I can get a replacement for my 788 that died on me!

S-VHS is what Alesis used in there ADAT studio recorder's, the converters are much better than the one's on a standard VHS machine. Tascam used Hi-8 tape's for there "D" machine's at that time to, The Alesis deck's had a better low end response because the wider tape was better at storing the longer wave length's. It was also good at losing time code as it ran slower than the Tascam deck's, as long as you only used one you wouldn't have any of that trouble.

Back in the late 1980's a buddy of mine would record audio on to his JVC HiFi VCR, not bad a sound for what he was working with. FWIW many of the new digital recorder's around today (even the lower cost one's) are much better at reproducing sound and will never fade because of the tape getting old.

I've got a 4-track cassette recorder that I still use for remote that is until I can get a replacement for my 788 that died on me!

I used ADAT (Tascam) for a recording session in the early 90s before going to computers.

My brother used VHS tapes as well for recording 2 4 or 6 hours of audio (great resource for recording music for parties and letting the tape just roll, too).

R B)

Archived