SIBLY 1977

jabe

Okay, so I'm biased.

Is there a more potent version from the '77 tour than Birmingham? All cylinders are in sync. Page doesn't overstate. Plant's voice maintains the emotion and includes his exceptional trademark guttural wail. Perfect tempo. The bar has been raised. Point me in the direction if a more substantial version from 1977 exists. I guess it's in the ears of the beholder. Check May 18, 1977. Thanks to my pal Conneyfogle and LZRadio that I could revisit what I witnessed in 1977.

Okay, so I am biased. Ain't nobody's fault but mine.

I myself have not heard this version, but check out 28-4-77 Cleveland if you haven't already, blows the night before right out of the water. I'm also partial to these versions: 5-21,6-21,6-23. But on a whole SIBLY wasn't really up to scratch in '77. Page was too out of it to pull off the song like he had done in previous years, specifically the incendiary versions of both the '73 North American and European tours.

Birmingham's a good 'un. Probably one of the better '77 shows in general, actually (you're missing out, Ron!) Though my favourite '77 SIBLY is probably June 23- Robert holds that first "I....." for a hell of a long time. Quite impressive.

SIBLY, IMO is one of those tunes Zeppelin could pretty much play in their sleep (and, for Page by '77 that was more or less the case :P ). Though I'm one of those few who would have preferred "Tea For One" in '77 just 'cos it would have been a change, SIBLY is obviously a live favourite, not only for the fans but for the band. I am surprised they dropped it save for a handful of shows in 1975, actually (though the thought of a January '75 SIBLY with Plant's raspy voice and Jimmy's broken finger isn't too appealing)

Though I have to agree with Tom (as usual, it seems!) that the tune reached its peak in 1973. That intro/link Page did after "Misty Mountain Hop" into SIBLY was genius, especially on a good night...

Birmingham's a good 'un. Probably one of the better '77 shows in general, actually (you're missing out, Ron!) Though my favourite '77 SIBLY is probably June 23- Robert holds that first "I....." for a hell of a long time. Quite impressive.

SIBLY, IMO is one of those tunes Zeppelin could pretty much play in their sleep (and, for Page by '77 that was more or less the case :P ). Though I'm one of those few who would have preferred "Tea For One" in '77 just 'cos it would have been a change, SIBLY is obviously a live favourite, not only for the fans but for the band. I am surprised they dropped it save for a handful of shows in 1975, actually (though the thought of a January '75 SIBLY with Plant's raspy voice and Jimmy's broken finger isn't too appealing)

Though I have to agree with Tom (as usual, it seems!) that the tune reached its peak in 1973. That intro/link Page did after "Misty Mountain Hop" into SIBLY was genius, especially on a good night...

We seem to be quite the '77 aficionados don't we! :lol:

Once my internet is uncapped I will have to get my hands on the Birmingham show methinks, currently listening to 28-4-77. Never get sick of this show, one of Page's best nights of the tour IMO.

I would probably have to say that the one from the destroyer bootleg is the best.

I'm sorry but I don't get why people like this version of this song? Page is bumming notes all over the place, the show the night after is tenfold better than the 27th (too bad the SBD is from the 27th and not the 28th eh?) If you like '77 versions of the song check out the versions I listed a couple of posts up. The whole of the LA run is in fact pretty good for this song, as well as 11-6 and 13-6 from MSG. These are the two best recordings of that 6 night run IMO I might add as well.

I'm sorry but I don't get why people like this version of this song? Page is bumming notes all over the place, the show the night after is tenfold better than the 27th (too bad the SBD is from the 27th and not the 28th eh?) If you like '77 versions of the song check out the versions I listed a couple of posts up. The whole of the LA run is in fact pretty good for this song, as well as 11-6 and 13-6 from MSG. These are the two best recordings of that 6 night run IMO I might add as well.

Yeah, we do seem to be the '77 aficianados, eh? And sometimes that sentiment can be pretty goddamn lonely! But hey, somebody has to root for the underdog, am I right? :D

I think the thing with the "Destroyer" show (admittedly it does have its moments...probably my favourite "Ten Years Gone" for example) is that for a lot of Zep collectors who aren't 1977 experts/diehards, that boot along with the Seattle video -since there are like eighteen thousand versions of each out there- are among the most commonly found 1977 artifacts. But the April 27 show pales in comparison with the following night, no question. And, audience tape fan that I am, I'm glad there's no SBD for the 28th since it's a mighty fine audience recording, even with the cuts and taper commentary. Regarding SIBLY itself, the differences in the two Cleveland versions is like night and day, with April 28 being one of the best of the tour (hell, one of the best shows of the tour overall!) It's too bad the April 28 show is one of the harder to come by '77 boots, 'cos it's well worth seeking out.

As for the New York recordings, I think -for those with 'bootleg ears' anyway- that the only really rough listen is the June 8 show (probably the weakest NY performance anyway IMO). The rest of the '77 MSG recordings are actually pretty decent, as long as you're not expecting Millard-type quality.

And, yeah, Tom, the Birmingham show is highly recommended. There are two different recordings for it, but you can't go wrong with either one. I'd put Birmingham in my top five for '77 easy. I listen to it quite a bit.

Yeah, we do seem to be the '77 aficianados, eh? And sometimes that sentiment can be pretty goddamn lonely! But hey, somebody has to root for the underdog, am I right? :D

I think the thing with the "Destroyer" show (admittedly it does have its moments...probably my favourite "Ten Years Gone" for example) is that for a lot of Zep collectors who aren't 1977 experts/diehards, that boot along with the Seattle video -since there are like eighteen thousand versions of each out there- are among the most commonly found 1977 artifacts. But the April 27 show pales in comparison with the following night, no question. And, audience tape fan that I am, I'm glad there's no SBD for the 28th since it's a mighty fine audience recording, even with the cuts and taper commentary. Regarding SIBLY itself, the differences in the two Cleveland versions is like night and day, with April 28 being one of the best of the tour (hell, one of the best shows of the tour overall!) It's too bad the April 28 show is one of the harder to come by '77 boots, 'cos it's well worth seeking out.

As for the New York recordings, I think -for those with 'bootleg ears' anyway- that the only really rough listen is the June 8 show (probably the weakest NY performance anyway IMO). The rest of the '77 MSG recordings are actually pretty decent, as long as you're not expecting Millard-type quality.

And, yeah, Tom, the Birmingham show is highly recommended. There are two different recordings for it, but you can't go wrong with either one. I'd put Birmingham in my top five for '77 easy. I listen to it quite a bit.

I would have to agree that the "Destroyer" show does have it's moments, No Quarter is pretty damn decent. But parts of it are just terrible, the intro to Sick Again for example. It sounds like a beginner guitarist who has just learnt "The Rover" riff.

I have actually only heard parts of the other nights but the 11th and 13th sounded the best to my ears, the others are not un-listenable by any stretch of the imagination but for someone just starting to get into the '77 tour I would recommend these two recordings.

As to your SBD comment regarding the 28th show, I too am a fan of good AUD recordings but it would be nice to have a Soundboard to compare it to don't you think? Especially for the cuts in the tape and for songs like No Quarter.

What gets me is that Page could be almost woeful (27-4-77) then be absolutely on his game one night after, must have had something to do with the amount of substances he ingested on certain nights. Maybe more cocaine than heroin on the 28th? :lol:

I have always thought 21st June LA Forum is one of the best, although i prefer Jimmy's solo from the 23rd June, bith brilliant versions, up with with any version IMHO...

I'd have to agree, you can just hear the energy in those versions.

Page was awful on the Destroyer bootleg I can't even listen to it anymore. Birmingham and one of the LA ones are probably my favorite 77 Sibly but Page was overall pretty sloppy on this song in 77.

But parts of it are just terrible, the intro to Sick Again for example. It sounds like a beginner guitarist who has just learnt "The Rover" riff.

Page never really nailed Sick Again, whether it be the album solo or his improvised live rendition. Even the 75 versions are pretty scrappy, which is a shame because the song kicks major ass.

SIBLY from June 13th I think?? is very good and most of the LA shows. It's a shame we have to discuss a song and narrow it down to a handful of performances with over 30 to choose from. On any previous tour, virtually any version could be taken.

And to throw in a quickie about Destroyer. I never understood the hype for this show. Sure, it was one of the original vinyl boots but as for performance, its pretty bad. I much prefer 5.21 Houston or 5.30 Detroit for any besides the NYC/LA run.

Yes, I think it's safe to say the Destroyer show is in the lower echelon of '77 performances. Not as bad as Tempe, Seattle or Oklahoma City(which comes across as more of a live rehearsal than anything) but it's not great. Unfortunately it's so common that for those not really in the know, when you say 1977 most people think "Destroyer". Not "Eddie" or "Badgeholders", but "Destroyer". That's sad.

I agree, it's a shame however the audio quality is no where near as good as 4-27.

Still, it's a pretty good sounding tape but unfortunately there are quite a few cuts. Would be awesome to have a soundboard as well.

It's strange that there are so many '75 SBD's but only Houston, Seattle and a frangment of the 11/6 show from '77.

It's strange that there are so many '75 SBD's but only Houston, Seattle and a frangment of the 11/6 show from '77.

I think Jimmy wanted the 75 tour recorded. Unfortunately, Robert's vocals hampered them from using any of the material..other than Earl's Court, which was professionally shot and recorded.

I think 3.19.75 Vancouver may be the best audio out of the 150 shows I own.

No need to start a new thread I guess, but what about No Quarter from the '77 tour? Once again, I think Birmingham is an exceptional version. As for marathon Zeppelin, I'll take this version over a WLL medley and definitely over Dazed. I'm probably in the minority on that point, but I really dig JPJ extended keyboard work and then JP weaving his magic into the song. Can't express enough how Plant's voice impresses. At least to me.

The quality and tone of Plant's voice is what nails the May 18 version of SIBLY to me. It's like he's relating a very personal experience and he sells that point quite well.

I think Jimmy wanted the 75 tour recorded. Unfortunately, Robert's vocals hampered them from using any of the material..other than Earl's Court, which was professionally shot and recorded.

I think 3.19.75 Vancouver may be the best audio out of the 150 shows I own.

Besides Earks Court the reat of the 75 releases are SB's not professional recordings, just differences in equipment that year make them sound better than most.

There are likely a few SB's from difference sources(such as perhaps destroyer) but most of the stuff we've seen is from Page's stock of SB's that was stolen in the 80's. For some reason they seem to get leakped year by year, was 73 and 80 in the past where as now its 75.

Still, it's a pretty good sounding tape but unfortunately there are quite a few cuts. Would be awesome to have a soundboard as well.

Don't forget the two Landover shows (May 26 & 28). I bet the soundboards for the other two nights are kicking around somewhere. Seattle isn't really a soundboard, it's just the audio feed from the video. Houston is an iffy kind of show IMO, though the next night in Fort Worth smokes!

Besides Earks Court the reat of the 75 releases are SB's not professional recordings, just differences in equipment that year make them sound better than most.

There are likely a few SB's from difference sources(such as perhaps destroyer) but most of the stuff we've seen is from Page's stock of SB's that was stolen in the 80's. For some reason they seem to get leakped year by year, was 73 and 80 in the past where as now its 75.

Thanks. One of the reasons I've come to like the 80 tour is the sound quality. While the performances are spotty, the sound is relatively great!

Archived