Album or À La Carte?

Do you prefer listening to Zeppelin songs individually, or do you like to hear the whole album?

Personally, I prefer to listen to the album from start to finish, but almost never do. I always get interrupted, so I hardly ever bother anymore.

Do you prefer listening to Zeppelin songs individually, or do you like to hear the whole album?

Personally, I prefer to listen to the album from start to finish, but almost never do. I always get interrupted, so I hardly ever bother anymore.

..it's always a total album experience for me, Zep can go on forever....

Along with The Beatles and Steely Dan, IMO, Zeppelin's albums are all practically perfect. No filler, all killer (even if there are songs I'm not crazy about, I'll still concede that they're good tunes). That's rare for any act. The album as art form- not even Floyd or the other Art/Prog rockers could pull it off, though they came close a couple of times. But where every song is good, and daresay a classic? That's Zeppelin for ya.

That said, I listen to mostly live Zeppelin stuff these days...probably just heard the studio albums too many times, as crazy as that sounds. But I bust 'em out every now and then and it's like hearing it again for the first time almost.

I've always been an album guy...even when I was young, if friends wanted to tape a certain tune from me I'd be like, "Nope, you gotta tape the entire album!" :P

Always been an album guy too, but sometimes you have the itch for a certain song and you just have to play it right then and there. Zeppelin is more of an album band though. Each album reflected what they were doing musically at the time.

Depends on the album, personally. Some of their albums I like listening to all the way through, others I just jump ahead to the songs I like. It's the reverse of how I feel about PF's music -- I always listen to their albums all the way through, from start to finish.....except The Wall and The Final Cut. Yeesh.

This question makes me kinda nostalgic for earlier in life when I had so much more free time. Back then I had the luxury of being able to sit and listen to whatever my favorite album was at the time from front to back. Plus, I could enjoy the artwork and liner notes while I listened.

With Zeppelin, I'm a cover to cover guy, whenever possible, when it comes to III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and Presence. It seemed like everyone had I and II on all the time at certain points in my life so with those I usually tend to head for certain tracks. I was really enamored with How the West Was Won when it came out and listened to as much of it as possible in one sitting. I'd make a note of where I left off and start there when I came back. Gawd, I love that record!

Electrophile,

This may be a bit off topic but if you had to pick your favorite Pink Floyd album, which one would you pick?

Sounds like I'm a much more casual PF fan. That said, I'd probably go with Wish You Were Here (or maybe Animals).

I couldn't go with The Wall. It's not because it's not a good record but because rock radio here in Seattle (KISW & KZOK) and all over the world, for that matter, beat the thing to death. I was a sophomore in high school, age 16, when it was released.

Anyway, let us know...

LPDlx1970

Depends on how I feel that day, mainly... ;)

Most of the time, I listen to a whole album. I'll start it while I'm doing homework or something and just let it play. Their albums just flow together so great...

But, sometimes you're just in the mood for that one song, ya know?

(and then I end up playing the whole album anyways...)

I couldn't go with The Wall. It's not because it's not a good record but because rock radio here in Seattle (KISW & KZOK) and all over the world, for that matter, beat the thing to death. I was a sophomore in high school, age 16, when it was released.

Anyway, let us know...

LPDlx1970

Yes, it's overplayed, but that shouldn't take away from what it is.

For me, The Wall is probably the greatest achievement of the rock era. The honesty and emotion of "Mother" and "Goodbye Blue Skies" along side the outright great rock tracks like "Young Lust," combined with the sheer size of "Hey You" and "Comfortably Numb," all with fantastic lyrics in each of the songs that, on top of all this, swirl so gracefully into a downward spiral, the listener compelled by the addictive guitar line. Just Gilmour's solo in "Mother" is worth the cost of the record. Like Zeppelin, the whole Pink Floyd catalog is one that deserves to be listened to all the way through. To me, "The Wall" tops them all. And shame on 30 years of "Another Brick in the Wall" on the radio for ruining it for you.

Interestingly, I find the movie unwatchable.

Yes, it's overplayed, but that shouldn't take away from what it is.

That's true, you're right. I seem to have a bad habit of putting bands' albums on the back burner when I've been inundated with them. That is, of course, when the band isn't on my list of must listens. That said, when I do go back to something years later, it hits me very hard how good the work truly is...

Interestingly, I find the movie unwatchable.

I saw it once, when it first came out. I found it kinda odd, hadn't really seen anything like that before but I remember being halfway fascinated with it. ;-)

Electrophile,

This may be a bit off topic but if you had to pick your favorite Pink Floyd album, which one would you pick?

Sounds like I'm a much more casual PF fan. That said, I'd probably go with Wish You Were Here (or maybe Animals).

Anyway, let us know...

LPDlx1970

Favorite Pink Floyd album? Yikes....too hard to choose sometimes. I'd say either Obscured By Clouds or Dark Side of the Moon. To be honest though, every album they did from 1971 to 1977 is absolutely phenomenal, as is The Division Bell.

I can't stand The Wall, aside from 6 songs and find it nearly unlistenable. The Wall movie is a pile of crap and frankly, they should all be ashamed they put their names on it.

I used to listen to the albums straight through, but I haven't replaced all my vinyls with cds yet, so it's usually songs now. But I still expect to hear the next song from the album after a song, even though I haven't listened to it that way in years.

I used to listen to the albums straight through, but I haven't replaced all my vinyls with cds yet, so it's usually songs now. But I still expect to hear the next song from the album after a song, even though I haven't listened to it that way in years.

Same for me. I can anticipate the next song on the album, even though I am listening to a single version of it.

In general, I listen to albums, even on my ipod.

I have all the albums in order on my playlist, but sometimes I start from the early albums, sometimes from the later (from No Quarter forward, usually)

This question makes me kinda nostalgic for earlier in life when I had so much more free time. Back then I had the luxury of being able to sit and listen to whatever my favorite album was at the time from front to back. Plus, I could enjoy the artwork and liner notes while I listened.

With Zeppelin, I'm a cover to cover guy, whenever possible, when it comes to III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and Presence. It seemed like everyone had I and II on all the time at certain points in my life so with those I usually tend to head for certain tracks. I was really enamored with How the West Was Won when it came out and listened to as much of it as possible in one sitting. I'd make a note of where I left off and start there when I came back. Gawd, I love that record!

I have How the West Was Won, I was just gettin in to zeppelin when I bought it, and it was the best $25 purchase of my life. Ive been listenin to zeppelin for a almost a year now, and that album absolutely never gets old. I just imagine what it would have been like to be there.

I like more and prefer listening to whole album. Normally if you have enough time for that. Actually it's not a problem to listen to Led Zeppelin at all for me, I can listen anyhow, but listening to the whole album gives you the real feeling of the album. At least it works for me. :) The same thing is with Pink Floyd, The Beatles and a lot of other bands. One of my favorite Led Zeppelin albums to listen through the whole are Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin III, Physical Graffiti and others.

• 1 year later...

I tend to do a mixture of listening to the albums as they are and also listening to "custom made" versions.

For instance, I've made my own Led Zeppelin 4 disc box set that mirrors the running order of the original to about 95% but includes an additional track or two on each disc. Replacing "For Your Life" with "Hots On For Nowhere" for example, and also adding "The Rover" to Disc Three.

Or I have a custom Led Zeppelin III where I've added in "Hey Hey What Can I Do.

I never listen to the whole albums.I ripped them into my computer and put all the songs i like (Zeppelin's entire catalog) into one folder.

So there's Deep Purple,Black Sabbath, a little bit of Jethro Tull,Guess Who...and put them on shuffle.

So it's cool when I'm shuffling it, the playlist could be: Black Night,Paranoid,Heartbreaker,Aqualung...

This is easy...ALBUMS, natch!!! It's not even close; and it's not limited to Led Zeppelin.

Whether I am listening to Led Zeppelin, Judy Garland, Albert Ayler, King Crimson, Goldfrapp, Igor Stravinsky or Rose Maddox, it is via their albums all the way.

Not that I don't have a few compilations that have a variety of different artists...movie soundtracks, house/rave/chill music comps, magazine cd samplers, record label best of comps(Stax, Alligator, Sun Studios, etc.). But even then, it's an album I am listening to, whether it is an album of one artist or many.

• 2 months later...

^ Agree. Even better is listening to a whole concert in one shot. Among my favorites are Royal Albert Hall 1970, Burn Like A Candle 1972 and the O2 Arena Reunion show. But I rarely have the time to hear a whole one. My short list for next ones to listen to are For Badgeholders Holders Only, the Mick Ralphs show, and 7-7-80 (Final Concert) which tracks I've heard individually but never listen to the whole things through at once.

Archived