Another honour for Stairway announced today

Probably too obvious an answer, but The Song Remains the Same version will always be my favorite.

yeah, that must be my cousin's favorite too, because after I made two consecutive posts to this forum

Buon Anniversario a tutti dalla "Santa Maria del Terzo Millennio alle Tre Fontane" !

she wrote "Buonanotte a tutti con Starway to Heaven" on her Facebook page ... and she hasn't written anything more since that day! :unsure:

some people just don't like change, I guess ... B)

Well I am going to start off here by dissecting the song.... But, one of Jimmy's best solos for this song was IMO from the otherwise mostly dismal Seattle '77 show.

I'm also quite partial to '75 versions of the song, although Robert's vocals can be a little rough. 2-12-75 springs to mind, as well as 3-14-75.

AGREED. TOTALLY UNDERRATED.

I wouldn't say that this version was underrated by any stretch of the imagination. I'd imagine most Zeppelin fans who are yet to discover bootlegs would name this as their top version of the song.

The best STH live solo for me is indeed the "The Song Remains The Same" version. Page is just so fluid and tasty, totally improvising like a madman, almost inhuman (same with all Page's solos on TSRTS live, he was at his peak in 1973). Another really great and unique STH solo is the one from Knebworth 11/4/79 (the good night, not the 11th). The BBC Sessions STH solo is also really good but very short.

4. Earls Court 75' (Didn't like how Robert sang the last verse)

I have no idea why Jimmy didn't pick the 24th for the DVD, far superior to the 25th and he doesn't break a string at the end like he did on the 25th.

Archived