Oil rig sinks in the Gulf of Mexico

ally

Hey, anybody else wondering where the hell George Clooney, et al are? 35 days later, and you'd be hard pressed to find a story on this disaster.

For shame, Mr. President.

It's a daily story down here ofcourse, but I guess if you're refering to clooney's bleeding heart I would guess that not enough dead fish have surfaced yet.

It's coming! I have to feel for the people that depend on the gulf to make their livelyhood. I'm refering to the fishermen, I used to have a commercial shrimp boat myself and I know a lot of these folks personally, most are born into this way of life and know no other way to make a living.

This thing is going to be really bad for the whole country if it causes severe damage to the marshes which are basically the nursery for the majority of our country's seafood as well as untold species of birds and insects and micro organisms alike.

From a locals perspective it seems that BP is not doing enough quick enough and from the federal level there doesn't seem to be the urgency that one would expect.

I will say that our local leaders are ready to take charge with or without the permits from the army Corp and have already commandered some of BP's boats for hire to place oil boom in areas where no action was taking place.

Hooray for them, I guess we learned our lesson from Katrina about waiting for someone else to do their jobs.

It's a daily story down here ofcourse, but I guess if you're refering to clooney's bleeding heart I would guess that not enough dead fish have surfaced yet.

It's coming! I have to feel for the people that depend on the gulf to make their livelyhood. I'm refering to the fishermen, I used to have a commercial shrimp boat myself and I know a lot of these folks personally, most are born into this way of life and know no other way to make a living.

This thing is going to be really bad for the whole country if it causes severe damage to the marshes which are basically the nursery for the majority of our country's seafood as well as untold species of birds and insects and micro organisms alike.

From a locals perspective it seems that BP is not doing enough quick enough and from the federal level there doesn't seem to be the urgency that one would expect.

I will say that our local leaders are ready to take charge with or without the permits from the army Corp and have already commandered some of BP's boats for hire to place oil boom in areas where no action was taking place.

Hooray for them, I guess we learned our lesson from Katrina about waiting for someone else to do their jobs.

I appreciate your first hand account of what it is like on the front lines. While of course, there exists news reports, what I should have said was you'd be hard pressed to find many news programs that actually LEAD with this story nightly. Awfully quiet in Washington.

I appreciate your first hand account of what it is like on the front lines. While of course, there exists news reports, what I should have said was you'd be hard pressed to find many news programs that actually LEAD with this story nightly. Awfully quiet in Washington.

I'm guessing that the reason the liberal drive-by media is not covering this is because like dzldoc said, not enough dead fish or birds have washed up yet. Although, I did believe I heard that Ms. Katie Couric was going do her show from New Orleans or Venice or something. (I was only half-ass paying attention since I'm really not interested in her spin.)

Living in South La. all my life, I know that the mainstream media really don't care about what goes on down here. They look down their noses at us. They had to care about Katrina because of all the people that were stranded and needed to be rescued and the sheer scale of the damage couldn't be ignored. The people affected in this catastrophe are simple, hard working, self-employed, independent men and women. They are not begging the government to be rescued, but that does not mean they are not going to suffer. As far as doing something about it, they are taking matters into their own hands.

And, this is going to hurt a lot of people. First and foremost like dzldoc said, are the fishermen and shrimpers and the businesses that cater to them. The businesses that sell them fuel, nets, etc are going to be hurt. My brother owns a tackle and fishing supply shop on the southwest side of New Orleans, this could put him out of business. The companies that supply him will be hurt because he's not going to be doing any ordering anytime soon. The seafood resturants will be hurt because they don't have the seafood to sell not to mention local seafood stores. Our tourism industry, which is huge, is feeling the effects. I'm sure retail businesses that are totally unrelated will eventually feel the impact. The domino effect of this disaster is mind boggling and living down here, quite scary. But we're a tough lot and will get though it. (Just pray that we have a very quiet hurricane season. :smiley_pray:)

OK, I'll apologize to Oricale and I'll way in on the subject, First and foremost, I wish to pay my respects to the men and women that were lost on the BP platform. No matter what the present situation may be , it would be disrespectful to ignore that lives were lost .

From what I've seen albiet from news reports, it looks as though we are confronting a serious enviromental disaster. Atthe moment, it seems that then US federal government and BP are playing politics about the costs of the clean up. My solution....time for Obama to step up, get the job done then fire BP. BTW, do any of the other oil company's have a solution ? Given the situation, maybe they would be willing to help. Afterall, it is an industry !

OK, I'll apologize to Oricale

No Problem, thanks. Those 11 men were the first to go, I'm sure others will die from this down the chain, if only from broken hearts. :(

This is a situation where we're all in this together and the fact is we are all reliant on oil and it's products so the blame is spread around from our needs. However,

We really do need to get away from this mess and seriously transform over to other energy sources. With all the money BIG OIL has, they're the ones to do the investment. They won't make money till things get going so they'll have to bite the bullet, but in the long run, gravity, ocean currents, solar, wind and magnetic sources should be exploited. Oil is slimey and there's no better proof than what the gulf is showing us now.

OK, I'll apologize to Oricale and I'll way in on the subject, First and foremost, I wish to pay my respects to the men and women that were lost on the BP platform. No matter what the present situation may be , it would be disrespectful to ignore that lives were lost .

From what I've seen albiet from news reports, it looks as though we are confronting a serious enviromental disaster. At the moment, it seems that then US federal government and BP are playing politics about the costs of the clean up. My solution....time for Obama to step up, get the job done then fire BP. BTW, do any of the other oil company's have a solution ? Given the situation, maybe they would be willing to help. Afterall, it is an industry !

BP is consulting with other oil companies, but in the end it is BP's decision as to what direction to go in. The CEO of BP is an arrogant prick and I'm sure he's not willing to act upon what some of the other big oil companies (who have a much better safety/enviromental record BTW) suggest. From what I understand, this leak is a mile deep, in 5,000 feet of water, when you are working at that depth with that amount of pressure, it makes things a little difficult. Also, this deep water technology is very new and they have only been drilling deep water wells for about 10 yrs. or so. Believe me, I'm not making excuses for BP, I'd like to take a baseball bat to the arrogant imbacles who didn't dot their i's and cross their t's and didn't stay on top of things and allowed this thing to happen!!!!!!!! I'm as pissed off and frustrated as everyone else out there - maybe more so. But I'm not so sure the Feds can do any better.

These are my neighbors, my family, my friends who are going to be affected by this. This is my State that will loose who knows how much in the way of jobs and coastal erosion. The economic and enviromental impact is going to be enormous. You know Oracle says shut down the oil industry, but that would certainly be the final death blow to this area. Do you realize that a lot of those shrimpers and fisherman and charter boat captains also work for the oil companies. They work on the rigs for 14 days and on their 14 days off, they shrimp, commercial fish, or charter fishing boats?????? And, if they don't, they have sons, brothers, wives, husbands who work in the oil industry and can help in troubled financial times with their incomes. They have lost one source of income, lets cut off their other source? Do that and we will surely die! I'm pissed . . . . . . . . I'M PISSED OFF LIKE A BIG DOG!!!!!!!! And my anger is directed squarely at BP - those mother-fucker's. They really screwed us!

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but BP, according to Fortune Magazine, is the World's 4th Largest Corporation (2009).

http://money.cnn.com...global500/2009/

The Bigger they are ......

The more influence peddling worldwide...

It's nothing personal.... It's strictly Business!

I know it's nothing personal, that it's strickly business. Bad business IMO! I'm sure when you get down to it, they were trying to get the job done quicker and cheaper. Which in theory is fine, but in that working environment where so much is at stake, you don't cut corners. You make sure everything is working and working well. You have to stay one step ahead of the game or the results could be disastrous. You can't get cocky or arrogant and assume. Well it literally blew up in their face! 11 men lost their lives and well you all know the rest. How much is all this going to cost them now?

going to cost them now?

THEM??? How about US, as in you and me. No company is going to absorb the costs. It will always be put on the consumer. Such is life. What I find interesting, is the lack of outrage. I even heard Dave Matthews say that if we have to pay a little extra for gas or oil to heat our homes, oh well. Oh well!? Hmmmmmm.

going to cost them now?

THEM??? How about US, as in you and me. No company is going to absorb the costs. It will always be put on the consumer. Such is life. What I find interesting, is the lack of outrage. I even heard Dave Matthews say that if we have to pay a little extra for gas or oil to heat our homes, oh well. Oh well!? Hmmmmmm.

I think you may have missed my point about the costliness of this disaster. If BP was trying to rush the job and cut corners to save a buck, it will end up costing them millions if not billions more. Not to mention the costliness of loosing whatever reputation they had. And . . . . the fact that they lost this well and will not be able to produce it now to reap the benefits. I guess I was just trying to make a point about bad business practices. Believe me, no one knows better than me about how much this screw up is going to cost the average Joe and adversely affect their lives.

I live in St. Marys Parish and the Gulf is closed to fishing east of here.

On a side note, since I`m involved in the marine industry, this spill has thrown some business our way.

I`m just sorry that BP took a big dump on my state.

BP`s pockets are deep, very deep. Will this be passed on to the consumer?

Time will tell.

While it would be nice to see BP pay as much as possible for this I think the level of criticism coming at them from the goverment has more than a little to do with the knowledge that the inneffectiveness and corruption within the minerals managements service was the route cause of this disaster.

Exactly the same thing happened here in the UK 25 years ago with the piper alpha disaster, ironically involving a US oil company and resulted in the safty regulation between spilt off from the business side of regulation due to the possibility for corruption and vested interests.

I live in St. Marys Parish and the Gulf is closed to fishing east of here.

On a side note, since I`m involved in the marine industry, this spill has thrown some business our way.

I`m just sorry that BP took a big dump on my state.

BP`s pockets are deep, very deep. Will this be passed on to the consumer?

Time will tell.

Hi neighbor!

Maybe the locals can answer this....is it true that the Gov Bobby Jindal has asked for the ok to take action to clean up his shores and the White House has not answered his requests?

going to cost them now?

BP will do just like the tobacco companies and pass the bill onto Mr. & Mrs. Consumer.

And we still can't forget when the Dave Matthews bus dumped their septic/shit tank into the Chicago river and on top of a tourist boat. Way to go Dave and we know YOU won't be sweating any price hikes like the rest of us hoi polloi. <_<

Maybe the locals can answer this....is it true that the Gov Bobby Jindal has asked for the ok to take action to clean up his shores and the White House has not answered his requests?

I`m not sure about that. The local news is all about the oil spill. I haven`t caught much of the local news cast recently.

The calamity of it all didn`t hit me until I saw photos of the poor pelicans drenched in oil.

A pelican.

What do they do to hurt anyone?

The state bird of Lousisana and just taken off the endangered species list.

What a sin and a shame.

My cat hocks up hair balls, now the Gulf is hocking up tar balls.

I`m just put out over it all.

From what I understand, Jindal asked for permission from this administration (EPA) to dredge to create manmade barrier islands to protect our natural wetlands from the onslaught of oil. As with government in general, it had to go to this committee, that committee, and he never got a definitive answer.

BP will do just like the tobacco companies and pass the bill onto Mr. & Mrs. Consumer.

And we still can't forget when the Dave Matthews bus dumped their septic/shit tank into the Chicago river and on top of a tourist boat. Way to go Dave and we know YOU won't be sweating any price hikes like the rest of us hoi polloi. <_<

LOL - even though it's not funny. I was going to post earlier about how environmentally conscious Dave Matthews is, so much so that he disposes of his waste in the Chicago river and on top of tourists no less. Yeah, I'm waiting for his outrage!!!!!!

From what I understand, Jindal asked for permission from this administration (EPA) to dredge to create manmade barrier islands to protect our natural wetlands from the onslaught of oil. As with government in general, it had to go to this committee, that committee, and he never got a definitive answer.

Yeah, but, weren't we promised a government different from what we have experienced in the past? You know, one that is uh, what's the word, um, TRANSPARENT!

Gimme a ******* break!

LOL - even though it's not funny. I was going to post earlier about how environmentally conscious Dave Matthews is, so much so that he disposes of his waste in the Chicago river and on top of tourists no less. Yeah, I'm waiting for his outrage!!!!!!

His outrage is his music! thumbdown.gif

tongue.gif

Oh and redrum, the we are all dependent on oil, but cigarettes are a choice. Big difference there bud.

Archived