Super-Opener!

Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake & Palmer), Chris Squire & Alan White (YES), and Simon Kirke (Bad Company) will be opening the O2 show with "The Fanfare for the Common Man".

See the official announcement on Keith Emerson's site:

http://www.keithemerson.com/

Fanfare for the Common Man is one of the most recognizable pieces of 20th Century American classical music. One of composer Aaron Copland's most popular works, the fanfare is a short piece scored for brass and percussion written in 1942 for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra under conductor Eugène Goossens.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanfare_for_the_Common_Man

Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake & Palmer), Chris Squire & Alan White (YES), and Simon Kirke (Bad Company) will be opening the O2 show with "The Fanfare for the Common Man".

See the official announcement on Keith Emerson's site:

http://www.keithemerson.com/

OR

Whilst the bands of these guys have been shown in brackets, if you name their other bands you get the phrase:

YES THE NICE FREE BALLS

Is this significant?

SO IT WILL BE XYZ BAND?LOL

Not to mention that Zep were rumored to have thought about adding Emerson or Squire in '69 as a fifth member. And BadCo were a Swan Song band who's members had joined Zep on-stage from time to time.

OR

Whilst the bands of these guys have been shown in brackets, if you name their other bands you get the phrase:

YES THE NICE FREE BALLS

Is this significant?

Someone on some other forum also suggested:

BAD YELP

Which goes very well with "YES THE NICE FREE BALL". This could be a new old-boy band.

Quick question for those that were there last week - did you enjoy this track?

I thought it was a bizarre, but impressive prog-rock outing..

Was it my imagination or were a couple of bars of "Kashmir" played during this performance? Or is Kashmir related to Fanfare in some way?

Cheers

Humbug

Was it my imagination or were a couple of bars of "Kashmir" played during this performance? Or is Kashmir related to Fanfare in some way?

Cheers

Humbug

I enjoyed it

and about Kashmir ..it's not your imagination :)

Bugger. I missed this part of the show. I stayed too long on Regent St., enjoying the Christmas lights and whatnot.

I saw about 2 songs from Bill Wyman's band, they were quite good, and 2 songs from Paul Rodgers, who was sensational. Unfortunately, I caught the Foreigner performance as well. (I'm awful, I know...)

Cheers

Humbug

I have to say that as an opener, I thought it was rather good......

Some serious musicians and one of those tracks that grabs you by the throat and says "shut up and listen". Emerson's organ antics (ooohhh-err missus !) were fun too! A nice way to fire things off.

You can't have too much prog !

Like you, I thought I caught a Kashmir reference too....

Yes its hard to imagine that others were on the bill !! and on any other day these guys are amazing, love Yes and seen them a couple of times, but really I was just counting the mins down to what we were there for !!!

Here is a video of the opening group.

1min 33sec

Also, 6 minutes of Zeppelin:

Thanks for that.

They got a pretty big group together on short notice, didn't they.

Those guys were among the last to be confirmed, if I recall correctly.

Archived