Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

Led Zeppelin Experience: Dazed, Confused, Uncertain

Posted Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:24am PDT by Cory Frye in Yahoo! Music Blogs: GetBack

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience. On one hand, it sounds like a heartfelt tribute to the band his father clobbered into Olympian myth. On the other, I bristle at the potential for schmaltz and disaster.

It's all part of larger, more troubling hypocrisy I wrestle with as a music fan. For instance, last week I got my bloomers twisted over Van Halen daring to record an album one vet short of a full reunion. Yet this week I don't seem to mind Hawkwind tooling along with only one original member. I also love Deep Purple, and they've had enough lineups to populate a phonebook. But I refuse to call The Temptations "The Temptations" they're better off touring as Last Man Standing + 4 and I'll never accept Axl Rose's lottery draws as Guns N' Roses.

I'm even flexible when it comes to Led Zeppelin's music. Tribute bands? God love 'em, I've seen 'em. Hammer of the Gods. Zoso. Led Zepplica. There's an all-female outfit out of San Francisco called Zepparella, and they're brutally impressive. Feed "Led Zeppelin tribute bands" into Yahoo! and the results stretch into digital oblivion. A few sites go to the trouble of organizing them by state and continent. But even that isn't a thorough representation of what's actually out there. Every weekend finds another group in a cramped tavern dropping well-honed creeps through "You Shook Me." There's an unspoken contract between interpreter and audience: we know what we're seeing is real but not real, and that these bands are simultaneously honoring and playing fast and loose with the Led Zeppelin legacy. Yet after all the bum notes and muffed licks, the original catalog stands unscathed.

But if Jason Bonham fails, it's gonna hurt. It's gonna be personal. He's a member of the bloodline, the progeny of the mighty Bonzo, whose destructive wallops are branded into his DNA. He's supported his father's cohorts in two of their reluctant reunions (Zeppelin disbanded after John Bonham's 1980 death and vowed never to return), most recently for their 2007 set at London's O2 arena. As always, there was subsequent talk of a tour, but Robert Plant (as always) wasn't interested, and Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones scotched the whole proposition when they couldn't find a suitable replacement singer.

"I've had many a talk with Robert over these last couple of years about why we didn't carry on," Bonham told Rolling Stone's Andy Greene this week. "He said to me, 'You were great all night and I love ya and your dad would be so proud of you, but Led Zeppelin was John. We had something very, very special and I'd like to keep that part of my life very, very special.' I dug what he said, but at the same time I wanted us to go on."

So, backed by Annerin Productions ("Rain," "The Pink Floyd Experience"), Bonham crafted a five-piece to travel with the Zeppelin songbook and a few fond memories. He's yet to divulge his musical partners' identities, but they'll all be in full view come Oct. 8, when the multimedia tour launches in Dawson Creek, British Columbia, nearly two weeks after the 30th anniversary of John Bonham's death. (The late drummer is nevertheless scheduled to join his son on a "When the Levee Breaks" duet.)

"This show is far from being 'just another tribute band,' " the younger Bonham said in a press release. "I want to make the show as personal as I can and show much Led Zeppelin means to me."

Let's hope he understands what it means to the rest of us.

http://new.music.yah...used-uncertain/

Edited by SteveAJones

Interesting read, especially about the discussion of the reunion going further.

Website is back up :)

Ticketmaster has Detroit but not the site.

The site has CT, but not Ticketmaster.

I'm sure they'll work it all out.

And the countdown is on:

TEN DAYS TO GO!!!

And why is it I still have this feeling that it's going to be Jimmy?

They cancelled the Rochester New York Show

For Detroit???

UUGGGHHHHHHH

That's not good. I think a lot of the ticket sales have not been that great. I'm looking forward to this in NYC. It deserves better than this as it will be a great show.

Edited by SuperDave

I think it's a condition called wishful thinking; Jimmy's not involved whatsoever.

Sorry to kick the dead horse. Here's why I still believe there is a possibility.

Jimmy has hinted about returning to performing this fall. Jimmy still hasn't announced anything and

he must have known at the time of those statements that Jason would be doing this about

then. I would imagine it takes many months to put something like this together.

If there's any reason to go out and do it i think this would be it. I believe that even Jimmy

himself would admit that he needs to find the right path in order to go back out.

The fact that Jason states that he has not talked to Jimmy about it. HUH??? Is it a my people

talked to his people and that's why we didn't talk but wouldn't something like this being done

have to be cleared through Jimmy. He still owns rights, no? Would/should Jason do a show

that so much involves Led Zeppelin without consulting Jimmy. Out of respect I cannot imagine

that happening, but I certainly have no clue as to what goes on and I willingly admit that to one and all.

Now on the other hand, Steve, I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance that you know who will be playing. I have to say

that I truly do have the utmost respect for you and your knowledge of the greatest band ever, however

if it is Jimmy you would have to keep the secret and deny it, so I cannot use your input, however usually valuable in anything Led Zeppelin.

I know I'm probably wrong and that'll be fine. I'll still enjoy the show(s) I'll be going to and will always hope for any type of

collaboration between any of the members in any way shape or form.

Whatever the case, please don't call me Atlas :)

Fair enough. I can only reiterate what I've said all along, to bear in mind this is Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience.

Absolutely...and as long as they play led zeppelin I'm happy! and that one's a given.

I am personally hoping for some 02 footage. Since Jason has stated many times that it was pretty much the biggest night

of his life hopefully he'll have some video clips of the rehearsal or the show and/or chat about it.

It really does make it exciting not knowing who's playing. He's got to know that many are curious

and many eyes will be on Dawson Creek 10/8...or maybe on youtube on 10/9.

Absolutely...and as long as they play led zeppelin I'm happy! and that one's a given.

I am personally hoping for some 02 footage. Since Jason has stated many times that it was pretty much the biggest night

of his life hopefully he'll have some video clips of the rehearsal or the show and/or chat about it.

It really does make it exciting not knowing who's playing. He's got to know that many are curious and many eyes will be on Dawson Creek 10/8...or maybe on youtube on 10/9.

I would have preferred a more straight-forward announcement concerning the band members. It generates a buzz not to disclose their identities until opening night but again, shouldn't the buzz be on how well the overall production is, among

other things? On that note the possible inclusion of unreleased 02 rehearsal/live footage, however unlikely, is certainly

buzz worthy.

I would have preferred a more straight-forward announcement concerning the band members. It generates a buzz not to disclose their identities until opening night but again, shouldn't the buzz be on how well the overall production is, among

other things? On that note the possible inclusion of unreleased 02 rehearsal/live footage, however unlikely, is certainly

buzz worthy.

It reminds me of the basketbal game robert attended in '08. He somewhat hinted at the possiblity of zep reuniting even though

he knew at the time he wasn't going to do it. I felt that he used the zep name to retan/generate interest. And they've certainly

got every right to do that.

By not announcing the band it has people checking back in to see instead of already knowing and just waiting for the show. I'm thinking it's

by design for that reason.

One reason I think it's not jimmy. If it was there would be no really good reason to not announce that. No real advantage to waiting that

I can come up with.

That's not good. I think a lot of the ticket sales have not been that great. I'm looking forward to this in NYC. It deserves better than this as it will be a great show.

Well I dont know about sales?

They never even went on sale for Rochester, unless you mean sales for the other cities?

Well I dont know about sales?

They never even went on sale for Rochester, unless you mean sales for the other cities?

That's what I mean. I don't think NYC is even sold out yet! I've just heard that in blogs, news etc. Hopefully, they will sell out, since Jason deserves that. It looks like a great show he will be putting on.

Looks like they just added another show.

I cannot believe this. it is about 30 minutes from my house!!!

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100929009

Good deal for you. Cheaper than the seats in NYC obviously. I think I paid around $60 for my 3rd row seats in Times Square. No biggie!

Looks like they just added another show.

I cannot believe this. it is about 30 minutes from my house!!!

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100929009

Lucky You!! Driving 6/7 hours, overnighting in a hotel. But as I am going with Zeppelin friends I am sure the ride will be fun. Zeppelin the whole ride, both music and talking, should be a great time...and thats before we get to the show!!

Edit: If he adds Atlanta I will be going twice:-)

Edited by Deborah J

For me it's number three...at least.

englewood, NJ on 11/4

poughkeepsie on 11/5

and NYC on 11/8 ( I wouldn't miss this one for anything).

Will be many more if the highly unlikely happens.

I'll be there at the NYC show as well! It's gonna be a good one!

I'll be there at the NYC show as well! It's gonna be a good one!

No question about it. Most bands seem to want to do their best when they're in NYC.

Higher profile probably.

I was there Tuesday night to see Alberta Cross.(who I highly highly recommend).

It was so good to be back...and also good to get the hell out too! I'm from the Hudson Valley and

can't even begin to imagine living in the city.

John Bonham must be rolling in his grave. Jason make your own music.

It's billed as a celebration of his father. How much more straight forward can you get ? I'm looking forward to it, maybe you should too...just sayin"