Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

Only Jacksonville for the state of Florida - what's up with that?!? <_<

Oh well.......

There are two Florida concerts (Jacksonville the 13th of November and Orlando on the following night). :)

www.jblze.com

R B)

More than a son's tribute

By Lana Michelin - Red Deer Advocate

Published: October 04, 2010

(Alberta, Canada)

Jason Bonham is bringing his Led Zeppelin Experience to Red Deer to share the timeless music of "the world's greatest band" with new generations.

But as a kid, Jason Bonham never had any inkling how big his father John Bonham's band really was.

In 1977, he recalled being amazed when 82,000 Florida fans crowded into Tampa Stadium to hear Led Zeppelin perform. "I remember asking my dad, 'Who else is playing?' " said Jason. He was surprised when his father told him, "Just us."

After three songs, the Florida Led Zeppelin concert was cancelled due to a thunderstorm. Thousands of fans rioted, leading to injuries and arrests.

The rock 'n' roll debacle made the history books, said Jason, whose tribute show hits the Centrium on Wednesday, Oct. 13.

Yet in England, none of his friends were clamouring to meet his drummer dad or the other Led Zeppelin band members at the time. Jason said heavy rock music just wasn't being played by British radio stations, which were more geared to pop.

"I was 14 when my dad passed away and Led Zeppelin wasn't a household name like they were here," he recalled.

Since Led Zeppelin broke up after John Bonham's alcohol-related death in 1980, the only reunion surviving members Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones have ever agreed to was a 2007 concert, with Jason drumming in place of his father, for the Ahmet Ertegün Tribute at London's O2 stadium.

It was a one-off event, much to the disappointment of thousands of fans worldwide as well as to Jason, who considered the concert a highlight of his life.

"Those feelings, you can't imagine. It was wonderful! Absolutely wonderful to be hanging with those guys, to get to know them as adults and to trade stories, and hear the real versions of what happened."

While Jason rehearsed for a time with Page and Jones, Plant came out firmly against any more reunions.

And when it became clear that no incarnation of Led Zeppelin was ever going to tour, Jason started to seriously consider longtime offers to create a tribute band.

He said he never would have signed on for this one had not the creators of the Beatles tribute Rain made him realize he could personalize the experience for Led Zeppelin fans as well as new generations who were never able to hear the original band perform.

Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, which has the approval of surviving group members, features anecdotes, old concert footage and family movies.

One clip shows him as a youngster getting drumming lessons from his dad.

"I was five when I started to play," recalled Jason, who has fond memories of his father.

"We used to have a jukebox and my dad used to put on different rock 'n' roll songs and get me to play along with them."

He describes John's drumming style as "masses of technique, disguised with bombastic, loud and forceful straight-ahead kind of playing."

"Everybody thought my dad was this big powerhouse," said Jason, but he believes calm was at the core of his father's drumming.

"To play like my dad, you have to listen to the music he listened to" artists such as James Brown and Little Richard. "You have to go back to that kind of playing R&B and soul."

The biggest problem Jason had was deciding which songs to cut from the show. "People told me the show can't be longer than three hours." It's actually two-hours and 20-minutes, not including the intermission.

Bonham has included all his favourite tunes, including Kashmir, Nobody's Fault But Mine and Dazed and Confused.

But he's purposely been mum about who the other four musicians are, saying he wouldn't want people to pre-judge them, based on what they've done previously.

"I want people to go into this with an open mind and walk away with a feeling of 'I can't believe this. This is phenomenal, this is good. I did not expect that.' "

Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience is at 8 p.m. Tickets are $61 ($164 for a VIP pass) from Ticketmaster.

http://www.albertalo..._104293184.html

Edited by SteveAJones

Red Deer, Alberta Cancelled

UPDATE – OCTOBER 5, 2010

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we regretfully announce that the Red Deer performance of Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience scheduled for October 13, 2010 at the Enmax Centrium has been cancelled. There are no plans to reschedule in the near future.

Full refunds for ticket holders will be available at point of purchase.

All other upcoming performances of Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience are unaffected, and will play as scheduled. For more information about the show and tour, please visit:

www.jblze.com

www.unionevents.com

http://www.unioneven...ils.php?id=2225

Ticketmaster Sales for this Event Halted:

http://www.ticketmas...1&minorcatid=52

Edited by SteveAJones

Twenty four hours until showtime!!!!

I think we are all waiting with great anticipation of who is playing with him. If any one is going, we expect a full in depth report of the show. Or we will just have to wait for the usual reviews.

There are two Florida concerts (Jacksonville the 13th of November and Orlando on the following night). :)

www.jblze.com

R B)

I have been checking ticketmaster and they have no record of an Orlando show at all - just J'ville. Thank you for the info., I will check into that.

B)

It's been a long time for Jason Bonham

By Dale Bass - Kamloops This Week

Published: October 07, 2010

The irony isn't lost on Jason Bonham that he is on the road a lot these days while his teenage, drum-playing son is back home in Britain.After all, it's how he spent many of his years, sitting behind the drum kit next to the jukebox in his home while his dad, John Bonham, was touring the world with his Led Zeppelin bandmates.

And, he says, he was just a bit older than his boy when he lost his dad.

Now, just 30 years after the elder Bonham was found dead while rehearsing for a U.S. tour, the second-generation is bringing his Led Zeppelin Experience tribute show to Canada.

Bonham said he was inspired to do it after he saw Rain, a tribute to the Beatles.

"I saw how I could do it," he says. "It's more than wigs and people up there playing their parts. This is something personal for me."

It's also more than just a compendium of Zeppelin hits thanks to his mother, Bonham has been able to incorporate photos and videos of his dad's life in the show.

"You know, people have never seen my dad as an eight-year-old kid, just playing," he says.

"I think fans will love seeing my dad being a normal guy."

The trip through his mother's treasure trove of memories was both enlightening and, sometimes, painful, Bonham says, and it's one of the reasons he's so aware of the way history is repeating itself, somewhat, with his own family.

"It's been kind of hard because I've got a boy, he's 13, and that's almost the same age as I was when I lost my dad."

While his son can play a mean drum, he'd much rather be on the tennis court these days, Bonham says and that's fine with him.

Although this is the same man who, as a 13-year-old himself, was sitting behind his dad's kit, playing along in a rehearsal while his dad did a sound-check at the back of the hall at the Knebworth Festival, when the police arrived.

So loud was the young Bonham's drumming that, he says with a laugh, people heard it seven miles away and, not knowing what the noise was, called the police.

Bonham says he cherishes the moments he has with his own son he also has a daughter whose artistic preference is dance because his dad's death denied him the chance to do the kinds of things fathers and teenage sons do.

"I lost my dad before I really got through my adolescence," he says.

"And we were both pretty opinionated back then so we would have been the best of friends or the worst of enemies."

"I think we would have been the best of friends."

Like his dad, Bonham has played with a host of musicians, including Slash, Buddy Guy, Ozzie Osbourne, Foreigner, and, one of his favourite singers, Paul Rodgers.

"I've got to lay with some greats."

He's particularly proud his latest work, Black Country Communion (the band and the album share the name) debuted at 13 on the U.K. charts.

The group Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherman and Joe Bonamassa are the others have a Zeppelin-Cream influence to their music, Bonham says.

He's always had a soft spot for Canada, he adds, because it's where he had his first success with his self-titled band and Canadian vocalist Daniel McMaster.

Show sales in Toronto are phenomenal, he says, and Quebec dates are almost sold out.

"It's all very humbling."

He's talked about the show with friends and has found frequently, when he tells them of the personal vignettes that are part of it, they're delighted.

"Oh my god, that's part of the show? they say.

"But it's meant some laughing and some crying on the same night doing it. Part of it all has been very sad, realizing what happens in life."

For Bonham, though, there's an underlying message.

"You can live in that sadness or you can rejoice in the sacrifices people have made that have lead to who you are today."

Bonham is at Interior Savings Centre on Oct. 19.

Tickets are $50.75, $58.75 and $158.75 (which includes a meet-and-greet) and are available at ticketmaster.ca.

http://www.bclocalne...nment&bc09=true

Edited by SteveAJones

Walter, Ticketmaster doesn't handle all of the shows. Clearwater tickets are currently on sale here: http://www.rutheckerdhall.com/event/jason-bonhams-led-zeppelin/8129/?loc=event-buy

I ended up going directly to their website and found them - thanks for the information! I had been waiting for a ticket alert - should have just checked with everyone here. :D

I ended up going directly to their website and found them - thanks for the information! I had been waiting for a ticket alert - should have just checked with everyone here. :D

Anytime. :)

I'll be in Jacksonville with some friends.

R B)

First concert tonight at Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada!

Should have some videos up on Youtube by tomorrow?

Alas, the tour is not coming close to me. If I want to see it, I will need to go to NYC's Nokia Theater on November 8th. Haven't decided yet.

Edited to say: Looks like Ticketmaster has the venue in NYC as Best Buy Theater.

New name for the Nokia or is it a different venue?

I also see that they will be in Detroit on October 30th. I don't think I want to be anywhere near Detroit around Halloween. Isn't there a tradition of violence and arson in Detroit on Devil's Night, which is October 30?

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

First concert tonight at Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada!

Should have some videos up on Youtube by tomorrow?

Alas, the tour is not coming close to me. If I want to see it, I will need to go to NYC's Nokia Theater on November 8th. Haven't decided yet.

Edited to say: Looks like Ticketmaster has the venue in NYC as Best Buy Theater.

New name for the Nokia or is it a different venue?

I also see that they will be in Detroit on October 30th. I don't think I want to be anywhere near Detroit around Halloween. Isn't there a tradition of violence and arson in Detroit on Devil's Night, which is October 30?

What about Merrillville, IN on Oct 21 (I think?). That should be about 6 hours away from you. Of course, it's not New York...

Edited by Janet

There has been a tradition of arson in the past but they normally target vacant residential buildings and small businesses. This concert is being held at the Fox Theater, a beautifully-restored venue in the heart of a downtown entertainment district located about 100 yards from the freeways (escape routes). No worries whatsoever. Go to the concert if you can.

Thank you Steve for being the first to confirm. You are the man!

Wow, this guy is frigging awesome. Just listened to "That's the Way", also on youtube.

Great great sound. Well, of course, it is led zep. Excellent pick by Jason. I've seen a couple of others

on youtube and this guy is really really on it. He will definitely do justice to the experience.

I wonder if when JJJ were jamming he was one of the "tryouts"?

Either way I'm so happy I can't even tell you. These days you never know what to expect.