Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

any word on if there was any unseen Zep footage shown during the show?

So far as I know there isn't any live Led Zeppelin footage incorporated into the tour, aside from the clips taken from their film, The Song Remains The Same. Perhaps I did see a bit of Bonzo from Royal Albert Hall 1970? There is some previously unseen private film footage of John Bonham that is being shared.

Edited by SteveAJones

So far as I know there isn't any live Led Zeppelin footage incorporated into the tour, aside from the clips taken from their film, The Song Remains The Same. Perhaps I did see a bit of Bonzo from Royal Albert Hall 1970? There is some previously unseen private film footage of John Bonham that is being shared.

great! thanks for the reply Steve.

Apologies to Tony (and all) for inadvertently leaving his link off my earlier post. Tony was also lead guitarist in the Jason Bonham Band (late 1990s).

Excellent!!! Looking forward to seeing Tony again. It's been many years since I've seen Tony with Jason (1997).

R B)

I don`t mean to burst everyones bubble but I DIDN`T think it was as great as everyone is saying. I was there for the Kamloops show. Don`t get me wrong I enjoyed the whole show and listening to some Zeppelin music for a couple hours is a good thing but....Jason Bonham being blood and all isn`t capable of playing as good as his dad. I was there, I heard it, there`s probably a lot of other drummers that can play just as good as Jason. Jason himself said he can`t play as good as his old man.

The singer was good...but just like Robert Plant today, he couldn`t hit the high notes.

The lead guitar player was pretty good I`ll say. His intro to Since I`ve been... was troubled and not spot on though.

Their set list could have been better I thought. Isn`t Achilles Last Stand one of Bonzos favorites? Didn`t play it. At Knebworth 1979 the intro to "In the evening" with Bonzo lighting up the drums I thought would have been so cool to hear live from Jason. Instead they played "I`m gonna crawl" from in through the out door.(although they did do a great job on this one) It was so cool they played "For your life" at the O2 but sorry not here. Nothing off of Presence was even played. Robert Plant doesn`t sing Stairway on any of his solo tours but Jason did. The guitar player started with an acoustic then went to electric...Thats not the way Jimmy does it.

After all my bashing I will say this...They nailed Dazed and Confused! When the Levee Breaks was awesome! Listening to Jason and John during Moby Dick was wicked and some unseen footage of the greatest drummer of all time was worth the price of admission.

Not a perfect show but then again it wasn`t actually Led Zeppelin...who are perfect.

I don`t mean to burst everyones bubble but...

This tour is bound to prompt criticism. You've raised some valid points and perhaps changes will be made as the performances evolve while the tour rolls on. I will say some complaints I've seen and heard elsewhere seem unfair. For example, one chap was bemoaning the fact there are two bald men in the band whilst he was expecting something more akin to '70s era Led Zeppelin. For folks like that I'll say this again - this is not a Led Zeppelin gig. John Bonham is not on drums. This is Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience.

Edited by SteveAJones

Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience - CJDC News Story

Thanks for posting Deb, that was great. Cool to hear from Richie Yorke, I thought his Zeppelin biography was excellent.

Can't help but feel a little bad for Jason about not getting the chance to keep playing with the guys after the O2. Sounds like Jimmy isn't the only one who thought they'd continue...

Saw the show last nite in Edmonton. In a word FANTASTIC! Tony Catania and James Dylan were standouts. Jason has put together a touching homage to his father while backing the various videos and personal andecdotes (lot's about the O2 show) with a killer band that knock most of the Zep standards out of the park. Musically this show was a blast. It was great to hear lots of songs you wouldn't typically , i.e. Levee, Thank You, I'm Gonna Crawl (Dylan nailed the scream at the end - put shivers up my spine!). Took my Ertegun program from the O2 show and one of Jason's 'handlers' was kind enough to have Jason autograph it for me. It was a great nite.

Saw the show last nite in Edmonton. In a word FANTASTIC! Tony Catania and James Dylan were standouts. Jason has put together a touching homage to his father while backing the various videos and personal andecdotes (lot's about the O2 show) with a killer band that knock most of the Zep standards out of the park. Musically this show was a blast. It was great to hear lots of songs you wouldn't typically , i.e. Levee, Thank You, I'm Gonna Crawl (Dylan nailed the scream at the end - put shivers up my spine!). Took my Ertegun program from the O2 show and one of Jason's 'handlers' was kind enough to have Jason autograph it for me. It was a great nite.

Thanks for the review! Did they show any video of the O2, or just talk about it?...

Thanks for posting Deb, that was great. Cool to hear from Richie Yorke, I thought his Zeppelin biography was excellent.

Can't help but feel a little bad for Jason about not getting the chance to keep playing with the guys after the O2. Sounds like Jimmy isn't the only one who thought they'd continue...

I was moved when Jason was talking about his son and his relationship with his father..then he starts to get a little emotional....You can tell how much this means to him and I am so glad he is doing this for himself (as he stated to maybe bring some sort of closure) as well as for those of us who love this music.

I can't wait, one month from today!

• Administrators

A Led Zeppelin Thanksgiving experience

Eric Zimmer - Omega Contributor

Great music has no age limit or expiry date. This was evident at the Interior Savings Center Sunday night when the Led Zeppelin Experience came to Kamloops and people of all ages turned out to see them.

The show featured top-quality production, including a giant screen, state-of-the-art light show and timeless music. The band’s drummer Jason Bonham, son of Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, opened the show by relating memories of his childhood to the audience while home-movies were played on the giant screen.

“Tonight is a celebration of life. This is my story of what my dad and Led Zeppelin meant to me,” he told the crowd.

This was greeted by a raucous applause as the band tore into their first tune of the night, “Rock and Roll.” The band carried on right into “Dazed and Confused” and the crowd slowly began to loosen up.

Three songs into the show, Bonham took time to speak to the crowd some more about his dad. This was a pattern that would continue for the night, the band playing a few songs that were interjected with Bonham speaking to the crowd about how his dad had influenced his life. The respect and raw admiration Bonham had for his dad was evident.

The band itself would be worth seeing for any Led Zeppelin fan. Bonham described the show as “a trip through time.”

The songs were all the well-known Zeppelin tunes from various stages in the band’s career. It was clear by the reactions of various audience members throughout the evening when they had started listening to Led Zeppelin. People danced, cheered and sang along at various intervals.

The band continued to pump up the crowd and when they played “When the Levy Breaks” the crowd rose to its feet and got loud. As a tribute to his dad, this song began with Jason telling the crowd that though the drum beat sounded simple enough, it was actually quite tricky because there “was a certain groove my dad had when he played this song that just can’t be matched.”

The song began with an audio track of John Bonham playing the drums while the band played along live on stage. About halfway through the song, Jason, who hadn’t been drumming up to this point in the song, started drumming.

Another highlight of the evening was Jason playing a five-minute drum solo while the screen split behind him with one half showing the live feed of him playing and the other half showing stock footage of his dad playing as well. Many bands claim to be “tribute.” Few match the level of The Led Zeppelin Experience. More than a cover band, they are a true tribute to one of the most well-known, respected bands of all time.

As concert-goer Dylan Cunliffe, visiting from Vernon put it, “It’s awesome…I was very impressed with the show.”

http://theomega.ca/articles/35136

No footage from the actual show but there was a clip before the show, outside and inside the O2, as the stage and equipment were being loaded in to the arena with Jason sitting / contemplating. The voice over talked about the enormity of the coming event, the pressure he felt and relayed how Plant gave him some encouraging words that put him at ease immediately before he smacked out the stick beats to count in Good Times Bad Times.

Thanks for the review! Did they show any video of the O2, or just talk about it?...