Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

Too bad he doesn`t play "Bonzo`s Montreux". If he`s doing a tribute to his dad you`d think he would play that one. Isn`t that one of his dads songs?

Difficult track to present properly in a concert setting given the amount of electronic effects Jimmy applied to the recording. John never performed it on tour either.

• Administrators

Jason Bonham will salute his late father by rocking with his own Led Zeppelin Experience.

By JON BREAM, Star Tribune

His dad was wild and crazy and drank himself to death by consuming the equivalent of 40 shots of vodka.

But drummer Jason Bonham never had issues with his father, legendary Led Zeppelin percussionist John Bonham.

"I lost him when I was 14," said Bonham. "I hadn't reached that adolescence 'I hate you, Dad' kind of arguing or butting heads over different things. He left me when he was my idol. He still is there. I actually challenged someone on the Internet who made a really bad comment about my dad, saying he was just a drunk who played metal. I'm very protective of my father."

The drummer, now 44, is commemorating the 30th anniversary of his father's passing with a tour he's calling Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience.

It's not a straightforward concert but "more of a show," he said, put together with the producers of a similar Beatles production, "Rain."

"It's my personal journey on how much Led Zeppelin has meant to me." Between songs, Bonham will talk about his father and share some of his own Zep experiences. Plus, thanks to video magic, he'll duet with his dad on drums on "Moby Dick."

Working with four little-known musicians, Bonham will not try to copy his dad's drumming note for note.

"I'm not John, I'm Jason," said the drummer, who will perform his first U.S. gig with LZ Experience Tuesday in Minneapolis. "I'll be doing what my dad taught me well, which is how you play with emotion. I never play the same thing twice."

Endorsed by Robert Plant

Of course, Bonham would rather be touring with the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin, with whom he famously performed on Dec. 10, 2007, at London's O2 arena for a one-time reunion concert. The drummer hasn't heard from guitarist Jimmy Page or bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones about his LZ Experience. But he did receive the backing of Zep vocalist Robert Plant.

Said Bonham: "He came on a radio station with me. The DJ tried to make something out of me touring without him and Robert jumped straight in and said, 'Jason doesn't need any excuse or permission. ... He has my blessings.'"

There was considerable talk last year of Page, Jones and Bonham rehearsing and touring with another singer.

"We never talked about a Zeppelin tour without Robert Plant," the drummer said. "There was possible talk of a tour with a new band and singer. It was a great time for me to be able to play and write with John Paul. I was absolutely in heaven. There were five or six [new] songs that were ready for vocals."

Why the project fell apart requires an explanation from Page or Jones, Bonham said. "There was a lot of negativity on the Internet," he said. "There was press outside taking pictures of whoever walked in [to the rehearsal]. No one gave it a chance to breathe. But I had a great time."

Meanwhile, Bonham, who did a stint in Foreigner and appeared on the 2006 VH1 show "Supergroup" with Ted Nugent and Sebastian Bach, is part of another new all-star band, Black Country Communion, with guitarist Joe Bonamassa, singer/bassist Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple) and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater, Alice Cooper). The band released its debut in September, may tour this winter and possibly record a second album.

Is there still a chance of more Zeppelin performances by Page, Plant, Jones and Jason?

"If you had asked me that five years ago, I would have said no, but it happened," Bonham said. "So I never say never."

He said he occasionally badgers Plant about the band's future.

Plant's response: "'Jason, do we have to talk about that?' I say, 'Well, yeah, because I love it.' He said to me, 'Jason, you played fantastic at the O2 and your dad would be so, so proud. But to me, your dad was in Led Zeppelin, not you. The four of us made Led Zeppelin. We decided to stop.'"

"I do get it," Bonham said.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/105057169.html

Nice little interview from the Winnipeg Free Press.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/drummer-tells-dads-story-doesnt-try-to-fill-his-shoes-105127174.html

Great quote for anyone who thinks he is trying to be his dad.

"I don't ever try to be John Bonham when I'm playing the drums. I try to be Jason Bonham, the guy John Bonham taught.

"He played with such emotion, too. Every night he was on fire. Every night was different; he was never mediocre," Bonham says."

Calgary Alberta- short clip of GTBT

Hi Deb :wave:

Thanks for posting that clip. Have always loved that Zep song - first track, first album - the song that started it all.

Can't wait for the show in Houston. You know, when you get right down to it, it's all about the music and it seems like the music is going to be fabulous! Just checked out the setlist at http://www.roadrunne...wsitemID=147444 and it's more than I could have hoped for. So many of my favorite Zep songs included. You'll have to let us know how the Jacksonville show is. I read the shows are 3 hours long!!!!!! OMG, if that is the case, I'm going to be in high heaven!!!!!!!

Edited by justawoman

....just got back from MTS Arena, I will say this....No one can fight destiny, but one should try...Jason, it will forever be memorable, a treasure, that you shared your personal memories with us......

...How I wished I could have seen Zep back in the 70's, but I was all too naive, well times have changed!!! Myself and My son got to hear Zep with Jason....Jason ended the show with these words

"we like to end the show with something from the Far East, Kashmir, I am unable to describe the magic in just few words (for a moment I was caught between two worlds, too beautiful and emotional beyond words, the Singer James Dylan (Sp?)...was Robert Plant reincarnated, they came back with Immigrant Song, and more Whole Lotta Love......for now...

I will upload pic'/videos later among many other fans I am sure...

not edited for sp..

Edited by PlanetPage

Hi Deb :wave:

Thanks for posting that clip. Have always loved that Zep song - first track, first album - the song that started it all.

Can't wait for the show in Houston. You know, when you get right down to it, it's all about the music and it seems like the music is going to be fabulous! Just checked out the setlist at http://www.roadrunne...wsitemID=147444 and it's more than I could have hoped for. So many of my favorite Zep songs included. You'll have to let us know how the Jacksonville show is. I read the shows are 3 hours long!!!!!! OMG, if that is the case, I'm going to be in high heaven!!!!!!!

Hello justawoman!

I will certainly share my experience after the Jacksonville event. I can't wait!! Like you said, so many great songs on the list. Please share your Houston experience with us!

PlanetPage, sounds like you had a memorable night. The more I hear, the more excited/emotional I get.

Edit : Dazed & Confused

Edited by Deborah J

Another one from Winnipeg 10/17- Kashmir- I can't wait!!!

And of course one dear to my heart!!

PlanetPage- Where were you in the audience! Sounds amazing and Nov 13th cannot get here soon enough!

Edited by Deborah J

This tour is bound to prompt criticism. You've raised some valid points and perhaps changes will be made as the performances evolve while the tour rolls on. I will say some complaints I've seen and heard elsewhere seem unfair. For example, one chap was bemoaning the fact there are two bald men in the band whilst he was expecting something more akin to '70s era Led Zeppelin. For folks like that I'll say this again - this is not a Led Zeppelin gig. John Bonham is not on drums. This is Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience.

What the JBLZE is Not:

Not a "The Beatles Rain" show

Not an "Australian Pink Floyd Show"

What the JBLZE show is, is a tribute to Led Zeppelin and John Bonham, by Jason Bonham.

Take it, or leave it....

But this not "Led Zeppelin" Mk. II or III

Edited by The Rover

Deborah, it was indeed an emotional night, as I heard our fav Band's music being performed on stage for the first time, that too in company of my Son, (He is Zep literate along with his own DJ stuff or what-ever the young people do now days - He has his Shop in the basement) LOL!!! .... we were Section 105 Row 8 (side staged South/West corner - fantastic view). It was relatively intimate evening

Jason was graced with at least 3 or 4 Standing Ovations... Moby D Performance was so fascinating, my son was just moved as in beyond his expectations, never seen before, it was too amazing.

(Jason remained engaged with the audience quite a bit, throughout the performances, remained true to his word that it was all about his Father, and that he is his Son paying Tribute to Him)

Deborah - at least two musicians have long hair - how's that for remaining faithful to the 70's!!! ;)

...Thanks everybody for the videos, (I will post some later)

and Kiss of Fire, that is excellent review from Winnipeg Sun, it is perfectly honest, as I saw it...( I couldn't see what was happening on the main floor, too crowded, dark);

I looked around constantly for audience reaction....I honestly cannot think of single person complaining around me, or looked bored, it was really magnificent evening!!!!

Winnipeg is a very lively place for sure, great fans to say the least!!!