Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

19 days and counting down for me to the Riverside CA show. Haven't watched to much of the show videos as I want the show to feel fresh for me when I see it live. I did sneak a few snippets though. Couldn't help it. Seeing what little I have makes me excited with the anticipation when my turn comes up.

Jason Bonham relives dad's Led Zeppelin days

By Jed Gottlieb

Monday, November 1, 2010

Jason Bonham is no John Bonham.

And the first two people to tell you that will be Jason himself and Robert Plant.

Son of "Bonzo" Bonham, the late Led Zeppelin drummer, Jason Bonham is taking a Led Zeppelin Experience "tribute to dad" show on the road; the tour stops at the Orpheum Tuesday. Backed by guitarist Tony Catania, vocalist James Dylan, bassist Michael Devin and keyboardist/pedal-steel guitarist Stephen LeBlanc, the 44-year-old Bonham is doing "Dazed and Confused," "Moby Dick" (with drum solo) and other Led Zep classics.

But he knows this isn't "The Song Remains the Same" in '73 at Madison Square Garden."Robert (Plant) and I were on a radio show and the DJ asked Robert, 'What's Jason doing a Zeppelin tour without any of you for?' " Bonham said. "Robert said, 'No one plays the drums like John, the only person who did is gone. There are some out there who think they can play drums like John. They are wrong. They cannot. But as far as I'm concerned Jason can do what he wants, when he wants, with my blessing.' "

Bonham said the DJ was trying to throw him under the bus. Of course, he knew Plant would have none of it. Why would he? Plant may not want to tour with Bonham, but he's still his best mate's kid and was happy to have him sit behind the kit when the re-formed Zeppelin played one night only at 2007's Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert in London.

Bonham isn't pretending to be something he's not. He's having fun, making money and letting the world know who his dad was.

Not a straight concert, Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience is just that: Jason's take on his father's band and life. Between tunes, there are reminiscences over videos and photos, making the show part concert, part flip through the family scrapbook.

"The man that was known as the beast was this quiet guy that was my dad," Bonham said. "A normal dad. If I didn't do my schoolwork, I was grounded. He was just a good guy who got it wrong on that night."

"That night" was Sept. 24, 1980. Before, during and after Zep rehearsals, the drummer drank an estimated 40 shots of vodka. He was found dead the next morning.

The shadow of his dad's death looms over the current tour.

"The first night in Montreal it was overwhelming, very overwhelming," he said. "I was talking with my mum about it and she said, 'I'm glad I didn't come. I don't think I could have handled it.' I said, 'Mum, you wouldn't have handled it, you would have broke into tears in the first minute'."

Bonham doesn't plan to be stuck in the past. He's now part of a humble new supergroup, Black Country Communion, which features Bonham, guitarist Joe Bonamassa, singer/bassist Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple) and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater, Alice Cooper). Their debut disc came out last month and a tour is in the offing.

It isn't playing with Robert Plant, but it's work that Bonham digs.

"I love playing dad's stuff, but I'm always compared to him when I do," he said. "With original stuff, it's different. It's, 'Hey, let's see what the kid, the 44-year-old kid, can do.' "

Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, at the Orpheum, Tuesday. Tickets: $35.50-$45.50; 617-482-0106

http://www.bostonher...292905&srvc=rss

Edited by SteveAJones

Jason Bonham bringing 'Led Zeppelin Experience' to New Jersey

Published: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 9:45 AM Updated: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 11:37 AM

Dustin Schoof | The Express-Times

Jason Bonham knows a thing or two about legendary drummers.

His father, John Bonham, was the sticksman for influential hard rock group, Led Zeppelin. John Bonham died Sept. 25, 1980, from asphyxiation.

Jason Bonham is celebrating his father's life and musical legacy with "Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience" -- a 30-city tour commemorating the 30 years since John Bonham's passing.

On Wednesday night, Bonham will bring his "Led Zeppelin Experience" tour to the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, N.J. Tickets cost $45-$169.50.

Bonham will also perform Saturday at the Merriam Theater in Philadelphia.

Jason Bonham has carried on his late father's legacy through a variety of bands, including Bonham, a stint with UFO and the supergroup, Damnocracy. The latter consisted of Bonham, Ted Nugent, Sebastian Bach, Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian and Biohazard bassist Evan Seinfeld. The quintet was assembled for the 2006 VH1 reality TV show, "Supergroup." The show documented the group's attempt to rehearse and write music for a concert in Las Vegas, which also served as the series finale.

In December 2007, Bonham sat behind the kit with original Led Zeppelin members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones for a one-off reunion performance as part of an all-star tribute concert in honor of late Atlantic Records founder, Ahmet Ertegun.

Be sure to pick up your copy of Friday's EXPOSED for an exclusive interview with Bonham.

http://www.lehighval...g_led_zepp.html

Edited by SteveAJones

Entertainment Music

Bonham hammers out Zeppelin celebration

By JASON MacNEIL, Special To Toronto Sun

Last Updated: October 30, 2010 2:51am

There was a whole lot of love shown for Jason Bonham and Led Zeppelin on Friday night in Toronto, but the connection the son of the late drummer John Bonham felt to his father was quite evident.

Traveling with an assortment of musicians on a tour called Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, the 44-year-old drummer said how excited he was to be playing the Sony Centre For The Performing Arts before lying down on the stage. On November 2, 1969, his father played the same stage at the then known O'Keefe Centre alongside Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones.

But for the most part, the nearly three-hour show - with a 20-minute intermission - was a seasoned exercise in celebrating Led Zeppelin's catalogue. Whether it was the rather rehashed warhorse like Stairway To Heaven that was doled out near the homestretch or the show opener Rock And Roll, Bonham and his four fellow musicians definitely one-upped all the Zeppelin tribute acts around.

Adding to that personal touch were a series of home videos of a youthful Jason with his father, dancing in some and playing drums alongside him in others, something he never got the chance to do professionally following his father's death in 1980.

What the younger Bonham managed to accomplish were a string of impressive drum fills and solos highlighted by the ridiculously intricate Moby Dick, a staple of Zeppelin's live shows. With video of Jason performing live with synchronized footage of his father playing the same song, the skill and talent was clearly passed on. A loud standing ovation marked the first of a handful of highlights.

Although a five-piece, Bonham's group was capable of performing the songs, particularly the slower, blues-based material such as Since I've Been Loving You, the fine How Many More Times and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Here singer James Dylan belted out the lines with a Plant-like flair despite being the polar opposite when it comes to possessing Plant's mane of hair. Other material was strong but not memorable, particularly the heady Dazed And Confused with guitarist Tony Catania using a bow on his guitar for good measure.

The fact that they were watching only one-quarter of the line-up for Zeppelin's 2007 one-off gig at London's O2 Arena didn't bother fans, most of whom lapped up the sweet Over The Hills And Far Away and especially the groove-soaked rock of When The Levee Breaks, the latter having everyone up on their feet.

Rather chatty at times and quite pleased to be playing the material, Bonham was the star of the evening, especially on Black Dog and Sick Again from 1975's Physical Graffiti which seemed to be a last-minute audible to the band. "He does that to us all the time" Dylan quipped of the change of plans.

With the end in sight - despite no In My Time Of Dying or Trampled Under Foot - Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience wrapped up its main set with the slow and steady Kashmir before Whole Lotta Love finished the night. It's a night fans and father would have been proud of.

http://www.torontosu...0/15888141.html

Edited by SteveAJones

Excellent video!! Thanks, Deborah!!!

Only a little over a week until Jacksonville.

Looks like they've added Orlando for Friday, 11/12, too on JBLZE.com tour.

R B)

Hi Ried! Yes only a little over a week. Another great one from Toronto- HMMT

Steve- thanks for the articles:-) ^^

Edited by Deborah J

Hello Everybody,

I saw the show last night in Boston.

Awesome time for sure! I really like how Jason addresses the crowd and tells his story about his dad and growing up around the influence of Zeppelin. Very touching. Photos and videos really make you feel how just one person can have an effect on so many!

The set was great and the sound was incredible! Don’t miss this show if it comes to your town.

Just got back from the show at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ (11/3/10). What a blast. The band is excellent and JB was spot-on as usual. Don't miss the video that starts the second set. I think it was the highlight of the show. The singer (who imo looks like Anton LeVey) sounds a lot like Robert and the guitarist plays and dances around like Jimmy. Lots of fun seeing my fellow Zep freaks there. Crowd really got into it during the second set. Setlist seemed to change a little bit tonight:

Rock and Roll

Celebration Day

Bring It On Home>Black Dog

Your Time is Gonna Come

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Dazed and Confused

What Is And What Should Never Be

The Lemon Song

Thank You

Moby Dick

Act II:

Good Times, Bad Times

How Many More Times

Since I've Been Loving You

When the Levee Breaks

The Ocean

Over the Hills and Far Away

I'm Gonna Crawl

Stairway to Heaven

Kashmir

Encore:

Whole Lotta Love

Phenomenal show last night in Engelwood, NJ from beginning to end.

The band is absolutely incredible. Utmost respect for each and every one of them.

They each have some really big shoes to fill and they did so with class, style and respect.

Being a zep fanatic I was worried. for me personally, they came through like a shning star.

Thank you for the Levee. IMO that was the tightest song of the night.

I'll be putting up some great video from front row.

The band is absolutely incredible. Utmost respect for each and every one of them.

They each have some really big shoes to fill and they did so with class, style and respect.

Being a zep fanatic I was worried. for me personally, they came through like a shning star.

Thank you for the Levee. IMO that was the tightest song of the night.

I'll be putting up some great video from front row.

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Going next Saturday to Jacksonville show with friends. :)

R B)

Excellent video!! Thanks, Deborah!!!

Only a little over a week until Jacksonville.

Looks like they've added Orlando for Friday, 11/12, too on JBLZE.com tour.

R B)

Yes, Orlando has been added. It is a very small theatre not far from where I work. However, my son has a flag football game from 7:30-8:30 that night and I'm the coach!! :o So, what time does the show actually begin, anybody know? The venue says 8:00, and I can get there by 9:00, and it will go no later than 11:00 - according to the venue also......

I must see this show!!! If anyone has time info. from the other nights, please advise me!

Peace.

Agree with 'bigzepfan'- a fantastic show last night! I was there in the front row, right orchestra- show was really tight and paid great homage to such tremendous music. It was better than I hoped or expected. :thumbsup:

For me the highlights of the night were 'The Lemon Song', 'How Many More Times', 'SIBLY', 'I'm Gonna Crawl', and an absolutely unbelievable 'Moby Dick' from Jason. Best drum solo I've ever seen (never got to see Bonzo in the day).

Jason is just really, really good and I'm sure he does and is doing his dad proud. The lead guitarist Tony Catania (sp?) was excellent- he did great justice to Jimmy's music. The singer James can wail and nails it on a bunch of songs (SIBLY is a great example)

I loved the fact that we were all there in celebration of some of the best music in rock and roll- just a truly cool night of sharing great songs played by someone who grew up in/with it.

The videos and short stories made the evening feel more like a gathering of friends and less a concert. Jason just seems genuinely touched, humbled, and thrilled to be sharing the music and experience. I'm just so glad the band really sounds great- just makes hearing the music so much fun.

If you have the chance to go don't miss it!

Congrats to Jason- great job! :bravo::yourock:

Yes, Orlando has been added. It is a very small theatre not far from where I work. However, my son has a flag football game from 7:30-8:30 that night and I'm the coach!! :o So, what time does the show actually begin, anybody know? The venue says 8:00, and I can get there by 9:00, and it will go no later than 11:00 - according to the venue also......

I must see this show!!! If anyone has time info. from the other nights, please advise me!

Peace.

If I recall right, when I saw it in Toronto it started almost exactly on time (8pm).